Portage glacier cruise (Ptarmigan) and Wildlife Conservation Center

Kween Karen

Has anyone done the Portage Glacier Cruise aboard the mv Ptarmigan. This tour in cludes the Alaska Wildlife conservation Center. This is a tour out of Anchorage....includes a 1 hour drive along the Seward Highway.

I will appreciate any comments or suggestions.

I am trying to get Grayline to pick us up at the pier in order to do the Grand Anchorage/Portage Glacier Tour.It includes tour of Anchorage with stop at Native Heritage Center on to Alyeska for tram ride and lunch on your own,then on to Portage Glacier for 1 hour boat ride on Lake.It was offered from HAL and I booked.Tour was cancelled when all tours became listed as intransit.The tour usually meets at Hilton Hotel at 8:30 I was also denied from booking tour independently as I was told we couldn't get off the ship until 9 am.which is totally rediculous.

Portage Glacier boat tours are a very nice, cheap boat ride- as an "add on" for me with my touring. IF I were only in Anchorage for a day, it would not be my choice, just for this tour. The Portage Glacier visitor center certainly is also worthwhile, but you may not be going there. As for the Conservation center, it gets good reviews- I see my wildlife in the wild. Not always available on a short visit certainly. As an alternative- depending on what these tours are charging, I would just rent a car and drive to where I want to go. Simple to stop in Girdwood, ride up the tram (and NOT be tied down to long waits with a tour group), take the boat tour, stop at the Conservation, visit the Visitor Center. Stop where and for as long as you want on the arm. Eat where you wish. Makes very efficient use of a full day.

We did this last Summer on our own. Very worthwhile, but I probably wouldn't do it as part of a organized tour. We rented a car and took our time driving down the arm towards the Wildlife Conservation Center. This was a great place to stop for a couple hours. Sure it would be better to see wildlife in the wild, but with limited time and opportunities this is a excellent alternative. The Portage Glacier visitors center is about 10 minutes away. We drove over there and ate lunch and took in the scenery. We had planned on doing the hour cruise on the Ptarmigan, but decided to spend our time at the visitors center instead. Figured we would see much more impressive glaciers on our cruise anyway. On the way back we made an impromptu stop in Girdwood to check out the resort. Unfortunately the tram was not running when we were there.

The next day we took the train to Whittier which follows the same Hwy we drove the day before the whole way. Saw the same scenery, but were glad we had driven it so we could stop and do things at our own pace.

I don't know why I have so much trouble deciding on excursions! Do I do THIS or do I take the train toward WHittier and really get into the mountains...or...or...or

The train to Whittier does not get into the mountains. The train tracks parallel the highway. Now if you take the train into Whittier you'll go through the Anton Anderson Memorial Tunnel (multi-use tunnel - train or car, just not at the same time). But if you're just going to visit Portage and the Conservation Area you won't be doing the tunnel.

Susan in Anchorage :)

• 1 year later...
Has anyone done the Portage Glacier Cruise aboard the mv Ptarmigan. This tour in cludes the Alaska Wildlife conservation Center. This is a tour out of Anchorage....includes a 1 hour drive along the Seward Highway.

I will appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Hi Karen,

My family and I are booked on the 14day Alaskan Explorer Itinerary aboard HAL's MS Amsterdam this August. We are still working out the details of some of our shore excursions. I saw your posts and read your travel blog from last years cruise. I am curious to know what your opinion was of the Portage Glacier Cruise and Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center tour that is offered thru HAL. Would you recommend this tour ? or would you suggest renting a car to visit the center? I am concerned that we won't have enough time at the center to really enjoy it. How long was the cruise aboard the MV Ptarmigan?

Any help would be appreciated.

If anyone else have taken this tour and can assist me with some information, I would really appreciate it.

The boat tour is quite nice. It's exactly one hour and the visitor center is also interesting. http://www.portageglaciercruises.com/

There's an ice worm hike with a ranger.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQoY6BdkOyoCAGixyPg!/?ss=111004&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=stelprdb5251148&navid=091000000000000&pnavid=null&position=Not Yet Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=Chugach National Forest- Home

Definitely rent a car ! Then you can enjoy all the other sights and activities along the Turnagain Arm. There's lots to see and do.

Williwaw is near Portage Lake and there are salmon viewing platforms and trails. You'll be there during a salmon run so that would be quite interesting. Watch for bears though; they are frequent visitors in that area.

If you have kids, they might enjoy panning for gold at Indian Creek, or ride the tram to the top at Alyeksa ski resort, hike the Winner Creek Trail. Here are other ideas. http://alaska.org/driving/turnagain-arm-drive.htm

Hi Karen,

My family and I are booked on the 14day Alaskan Explorer Itinerary aboard HAL's MS Amsterdam this August. We are still working out the details of some of our shore excursions. I saw your posts and read your travel blog from last years cruise. I am curious to know what your opinion was of the Portage Glacier Cruise and Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center tour that is offered thru HAL. Would you recommend this tour ? or would you suggest renting a car to visit the center? I am concerned that we won't have enough time at the center to really enjoy it. How long was the cruise aboard the MV Ptarmigan?

Any help would be appreciated.

If anyone else have taken this tour and can assist me with some information, I would really appreciate it.

I too, only recommend a car. This is a very costly, time robbing tour via the cruiselines.

With a car, you can add MUCH more, and have a full day of touring.

We enjoyed the tour.....but it was a rainy day so that put the 'dampers' on it somewhat. The Portage Glacier boat ride was nice.....really up close and personal with the glacier. I didn't care for the wildlife center......I prefer my animals in the wild. HOWEVER....at least this way you actually get to SEE some. IT was raining there too.

I am sure a car would be the way to go.......fewer people for the main thing. I always prefer smaller groups but on this trip I wasn't with someone who was willing to go off on her own.

Archived