Today's the Day!!

Terpsfan1

Hi Everyone, Is it too late to join your group? I'm 56 with approx. 50 lbs to lose and I joined a hospital-based weight loss study for cancer survivors this past Tuesday. My program will be cutting calories and fat and adding regular exercise to my day. My exercise will be water-based for the most part as I also have pretty severe osteoarthritis of the knees.

Our cruise on Freedom OTS in Sept. will be my celebration of my healthy life. I plan to lose 20 pounds by that time at a nice slow and steady pace. Nothing crazy just mindful, healthy choices.

I wish you all much success on your weight loss journey!

Jump right in! The more the merrier!

Carol

Well, I fell of the wagon last night, but got back up and trudged forward today. Hope to see the two pounds I gained disappear tomorrow. Hoping that most of it was water wait.

I have to get more disciplined about my exercising!

How is everyone doing?

Carol

Well, I fell of the wagon last night, but got back up and trudged forward today. Hope to see the two pounds I gained disappear tomorrow. Hoping that most of it was water weight.

How is everyone doing?

Carol

So far a very good week. Actually looking forward to Monday morning weigh in. I know several people here check their weight daily, just don't let it discourage you too much, your weight can very by several pounds day to day.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Have a lot of yard work to accomplish this weekend, so that is just extra cardio and sweat.

One thing that I have done during this life style change (not a diet) is really cut back on the alcohol, but when I do partake I have it as part of my daily calorie count. So far this week a couple of glasses of red wine.

Now, off to cook dinner, nothing like on the ship...:(

Well, I fell of the wagon last night, but got back up and trudged forward today. Hope to see the two pounds I gained disappear tomorrow. Hoping that most of it was water weight.

How is everyone doing?

Carol

Carol,

It's ok to have "fun" days.

But you are right, exercise is really a key. It will allow you to have more "fun" days with less guilt feelings. I have to get mine in early in the morning while everyone else is still asleep.

One thing you have to remember is to make time for your self and allow your self the occasional "fun" day.

I'm having a really tough time getting into the program, but I think a big part of the problem is that I need to go grocery shopping for some healthier choices. Wed. was great , Thur. was dinner out and today was soft pretzels at work. BTW...I work for an ice cream company. LOL!

I do believe I will be successful this time, cause the focus is on my health.

Have a great weekend all!

I'm having a really tough time getting into the program, but I think a big part of the problem is that I need to go grocery shopping for some healthier choices. Wed. was great , Thur. was dinner out and today was soft pretzels at work. BTW...I work for an ice cream company. LOL!

I do believe I will be successful this time, cause the focus is on my health.

Have a great weekend all!

I think the focus on my health is a way to keep me motivated!

And I agree, you have to have the "right" kinds of food in the house. Then, even when you snack (unplanned snack) you have healthy things to choose from.

Tomorrow is my "Biggest Loser Weigh In" at work. I think I will be down, but not as much as I would have liked. But, we will see. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised!

I am planning to walk 3 miles today, which should help. But, I am having my sister's family over for a small birthday party, so I am going to have to really watch what goes in my mouth. Stay in control, Carol!

Think healthy!!

Carol

Hi, my name is Janice and I am over weight, I weigh 224 pounds. Each year I say I am going to diet and lose weight before my cruise. Each year I leave it to the last minute and then manage to lose about 10 lbs. After my cruise last in August 2009 I have put back on 20 lbs. So this is the day no more fad diets. Healthy eating and exercise, not for next cruise in November but for me. Hope you will let me joint your gruop as I need surpport Janice

Been doing the Belly fat diet. It's slow going but doing ok. Not cheating AT ALL, walking 2 miles a day. 6 lbs is 6 less lbs.. Only 29 more to go!!

Keep it up ladies!!

SW~ 175 4/5/10

CW~ 169 4/19/10

GW~ 140 8/20/10

Janice and Yoli,

Come on in, the water is fine....

Down a couple of pounds from last week. Meant to post yesterday but life got in the way.

SW 239

CW 187

GW 175

I know it can be a pain, but I am a big believer in calorie counting. If anyone watched "The Biggest Loser" last week, they had on the guy who won last year and he told the group there that if they are not counting calories that they will not win. I have been doing this since October and taking in 1800 to 2300 a day depending on activity.

As I stated earlier I am lucky since I got a jump start on my journey at work. We have a gym with personal trainers. The trainers started a competition at work and fashioned it after "The Biggest Loser" . They have really stressed exercise and nutrition as the way to win. At the start the men were put on a minimum of 1800 calories per day and the women were at a minimum of 1500. We had to turn in weekly food journals during the competition. I thought I was doing well by keeping my calories under 1800 in the beginning. Was I wrong. I was told many times that the calories were a minimum that we had to take, it is all about fueling the body correctly. After about 6 weeks into the competition they provided everyone with a custom calorie intake which I follow today. Here is a site that will provide what your daily calorie intake should be based on activity levels http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm#

I am sorry to be so long winded, I just want to share my journey in hopes of helping others. Again, this is not a diet it is a life style.

Welcome to the new people! We have a nice group here that will support you in your effort to lose the lbs.

Didn't weigh in this week. I was kind of disgusted that I have not been losing. I am not sure exactly why. At any rate, I got up this morning and did a one mile walk with Leslie Sansone. I am going to try and do that daily. If I get home at a reasonable hour, I would like to try and do another tape...maybe the 3 mile one.

I agree it is all about intake of calories and output of exercise. But, sometimes my body doesn't behave even though on paper I should be losing.

Oh well, chin up and start walking!!

Carol

Hope everyone is having a good week!

I managed to lose 5 lbs. this past week even though I didn't totally follow my plan. I did journal on livestrong.com (MY Plate) on all but one day, drank more water, and got to the pool. Overall I felt I did a good job this week. I really need to be mindful of what I am eating and make better healthy choices.

I'm curious about everyone's strategy for dealing with all the food choices on your cruise. In the past the old me would just forget about being healthy and eat whatever I wanted. This time its about health, so it will be different. How about you?

Hope everyone is having a good week!

I managed to lose 5 lbs. this past week even though I didn't totally follow my plan. I did journal on livestrong.com (MY Plate) on all but one day, drank more water, and got to the pool. Overall I felt I did a good job this week. I really need to be mindful of what I am eating and make better healthy choices.

I'm curious about everyone's strategy for dealing with all the food choices on your cruise. In the past the old me would just forget about being healthy and eat whatever I wanted. This time its about health, so it will be different. How about you?

Well, first of all I try to stay with my cereal and fruit for breakfast OR I eat in the dining room with limited choices (usually, I order an omelet). For lunch I try to have a salad or something with a lot of veggies. I usually have a yougurt sometime during the day, too. For dinner they have a Spa Menu, with lower calorie and fat choices. I try to order at least something from that menu and always order extra steamed veggies. Now I will admit that I do allow myself a dessert every day.

Finally, I try to visit the gym at least 3 times a week and really try to walk the stairs whenever possible.

With that strategy, I have done pretty well. I usually gain no more than 2-3 pounds and don't feel deprived, as do allow myself dessert and drinks. (usually rum and diet coke)

Hope that gives you an idea or two,

Carol

Mine is to stay away from the foo-foo drinks as much as possible. Thankfully I drink straight liquors or on the rocks. (2 ounces of tequila/rum/whiskey is about 130 calories 0 carbs, margarita (2 ounces tequila, 4.5 ounces Jose Cuervo margarita mix 27 carb grams, 246 calories) )

I also plan on egg white only omelets without butter in the MDR for breakfast hopefully with canadian bacon. Light at lunch and portion control at dinner. Also eating dinner early.

Just don't deprive yourself of too much so as you don't enjoy yourself. Give yourself some leeway and pay for it via extra cardio or going light some other time. Get a copy of the menus for the week and have a plan going in.

Mine is to stay away from the foo-foo drinks as much as possible. Thankfully I drink straight liquors or on the rocks. (2 ounces of tequila/rum/whiskey is about 130 calories 0 carbs, margarita (2 ounces tequila, 4.5 ounces Jose Cuervo margarita mix 27 carb grams, 246 calories) )

I also plan on egg white only omelets without butter in the MDR for breakfast hopefully with canadian bacon. Light at lunch and portion control at dinner. Also eating dinner early.

Just don't deprive yourself of too much so as you don't enjoy yourself. Give yourself some leeway and pay for it via extra cardio or going light some other time. Get a copy of the menus for the week and have a plan going in.

Good point about the FooFoo drinks. I do have to have my "Sailaway Away Special" and a Mojito sometime during the week, but one or two is not too bad.

And I could not agree with you more about not depriving yourself. That is why I make it a habit to have one dessert each day. For some reason, because I am probably more active than I am when at home, it does not seem to "add up" as quickly as when I am at home.

I am still having a terrible time losing. I am waiting for the morning that I will wake up and have dropped 3 lbs. That is the way it usually happens with me.

This is going to be a rough week. I have a number of different groups of friends that I get together with periodically. Unfortunately, five of them are getting "meeting" this week. Although I feel very blessed to have the friendships...it ususlly does not bode welll for my waistline. We will see!!

Good luck everyone!

Carol

This may sound stupid, but what are foo foo drinks Janice

Check out this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=166779

Typically a sweet drink, most DOD's (Drink of the Day) or foo foo drinks.

Hi, I looked on the tread and its all my favorite drinks, I am going to have to amend my drinking habits on my next cruise, jd & diet coke. Thanks for the information Janice

Time to check in.

Another good week, down 2 more pounds.

SW 239

CW 185

GW 175

Took my 18 year old DD to a couple of hockey playoff games as well as the NASCAR race in Talladega. Had a few beers (none for DD :D ) but counted it all in my daily calories, also added a little extra work out time.

May is going to be a very busy month starting this weekend with family coming in for the weekend. Oldest DD is graduating from high school at the end of the month. Youngest DD is getting confirmed in 2 weeks, in a play at a local theater, going on a class trip and graduating from 8th grade at the end of the month as well. Only have the two DD's. Also both sets of grandparents will be coming in for the festivities.

Everyone keep up the good work and keep on posting. It is motivation and helps to keep us honest.

Archived