is passport card sufficient?

spongiebob

Hey all:

we are sailing in 2 weeks on the Valor to grand cayman, belize, mexico, roatan. Is passport card ok even though the ship is going to belize and roatan or should i take my passport? thanks and happy travels :)

For the cruise part of your trip the card will work. However, if you have to fly home it will do you no good. If you have a passport I would bring it. The cards technically I believe are for land crossing to Canada and back. I also use my card for cruising, but I always take the passport - just in case. It is a short flight but a long bus ride back from Mexico. Enjoy your cruise.

Yes, it's sufficient....if you're driving to/from the ports you mentioned. Or don't worry about missing the ship (perhaps you're not leaving the vessel?) and might be needing to fly home. The passport card is intended for those people who live along the borders of either Canada or Mexico, and who drive across the border on a regular basis (or in some cases, ferry across the waters that cross the border). But for airline flights, a passport is essential.

The passport card is all I am taking for my first cruise, per the WHTI it is sufficient for travel by land and sea to the Carribean, Mexico, and Canada, this was also extended to countries such as Belize, Roatan, etc.

Just don't miss the boat!

In Michigan the passport card doubles as my drivers license, which I found to be pretty stiffy.

The passport card is all I am taking for my first cruise, per the WHTI it is sufficient for travel by land and sea to the Carribean, Mexico, and Canada, this was also extended to countries such as Belize, Roatan, etc.

In Michigan the passport card doubles as my drivers license, which I found to be pretty stiffy.[/quote]

Interesting, how does that work?

For the cruise part of your trip the card will work. However, if you have to fly home it will do you no good. If you have a passport I would bring it. The cards technically I believe are for land crossing to Canada and back. I also use my card for cruising, but I always take the passport - just in case. It is a short flight but a long bus ride back from Mexico. Enjoy your cruise.

I cannot understand why you would want to take both with you on the cruise.... maybe I am missing something but isn't it just a waste to bring the "card" if you have an actual passport book ?

the card works perfect. Thats all I carry with me on the cruise ship. I have taken this same cruise your speaking of as well.

Works great for the cruise, but better hope you don't have to fly from a foreign country to catch up with the ship or fly back home before the cruise has ended cuz it ain't gonna happen with that passport card. False sense of security comes to mind when using that passport card.

In Michigan the passport card doubles as my drivers license, which I found to be pretty stiffy.[/quote]

Interesting, how does that work?

I think its exclusive to the major border states, it looks like jsut the passport card+our DL #, I was okay with it since it was only 7 bucks more than my normal renewal.

I take both card and book with me...book always stays in my luggage and card in my wallet. If I get off the boat I keep the card in my pocket with a little cash and a credit card. ITS WATERPROOF and its compact. The book is bulky and probably not water friendly.

I think its exclusive to the major border states, it looks like jsut the passport card+our DL #, I was okay with it since it was only 7 bucks more than my normal renewal.

I am in Michigan. We have a passcard, never was told it works as a license though. I just renewed my drivers license was never mentioned. The pass card was obtained at our local court house?? Im more interested in knowing about this ;)

I am in Michigan. We have a passcard, never was told it works as a license though. I just renewed my drivers license was never mentioned. The pass card was obtained at our local court house?? Im more interested in knowing about this ;)

It is called an enhanced drivers license, here is the link from the Michigan Sec of State website, sorry for the hijack :mad:

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1627_8669_53333---,00.html

The OP is from Miami, the Valor sails from Miami, no flights involved, passport card will be fine.

you do not get stranded outside the US, and then you will need the passport. The card would be no different than a DL. If you get stranded outside the US then you have to go to the US embassy and apply for emergency passport to get home.

Why would anyone have both to start with? It was just a waste of money. The passport cards are basically a waste of money unless you live on the Canada or Mexican border or drive there often. As far as cruising is concerned a BC and license gets you the exact same thing so if you are thinking of getting a passport card just for cruising don't waste your money. Either use BC and license or get a passport.

I only take the card. It is convenient, can get "wet" while swimming, easy to carry. Many people, will tell you, that you should not, just in case of something, that has a very slim chance of happening might happen. Since I believe the odds are in my favor that something will not happen, I ignore all the folks to tell you to take it. It certainly is not a waste of money, for the convenience it gives. For the boards I have read, not once did I ever read someone being stranded with the card!

The Passport card is good for border crossings between US and Canada or Mexico, but just don't have a medical problem that requires you to be transported home by air from GC, Coz or whereever.....bad things can and do happen at any age any time....we would rather be safe than sorry...but that is just us.

It is called an enhanced drivers license, here is the link from the Michigan Sec of State website, sorry for the hijack :mad:

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1627_8669_53333---,00.html

ahhh this makes sense now ... i just have a regular drivers license... and I do have a pass card... so i guess i went for the 2 instead of one simple option.. hehe.. ty for the link ..

The OP is from Miami, the Valor sails from Miami, no flights involved, passport card will be fine.

Where the ship is sailing from has no bearing on what possible problems/costs they will have to deal with if having to fly back to the US with that passport "card" !

Yet another member with a false sense of security using a passport "card" and not providing/offering totally correct info !!!

The passport "card" is great for the cruise, but not worth a nickle if they need to fly back to the US from a foregin port. :rolleyes:

Wow, I'm really glad I searched and found this thread. I just took our 2 year old to the AAA office for a passport photo, and was looking at the passport paperwork. For a minute, I got excited thinking I might save some money by just getting him a passport card.

But, EXCELLENT points on what happens if you get sick or miss the boat and have to fly home! Who the heck wants to worry about getting an emergency passport to fly home from Roatan? I mean, it is unlikely, but it could happen. And, I'm not just a single cruiser anymore, now there are 3 of us which means 3 times the chances of someone getting sick.

Yet another instance of how valuable these boards are. No other site that came up in a plain google search pointed this fact out to me.

THANKS!!!

We didn't have passports when we cruised to Ensenada but that was no big deal since we live in California. Ensenada isn't that far over the border.

This passport vs. passport card vs. BC/drivers license debate goes on and on in thread after thread. One thing that the passport advocates should remember that yes, you can fly with the passport, but not if you left it on the ship and the ship leaves without you. So if you do take a passport, keep it with you.

I take both card and book with me...book always stays in my luggage and card in my wallet. If I get off the boat I keep the card in my pocket with a little cash and a credit card. ITS WATERPROOF and its compact. The book is bulky and probably not water friendly.

Why do you need the card off of the boat? If you miss the boat, it does not allow you to fly, you need your actual passport for that.

Archived