RAincoats, waterproof or water resistant

ajhunt2

First of all is there even a difference? I'm not an avid camper or anything. If it's raining, I stay inside. Let the DH walk the dogs :-)

But I'm looking for a lightweight rain protection to pack for the cruise. I've found a few that look nice that fold up and store in the pocket of the coat. Great for packing. But they all say water resistant.

Should I go for that and hope it doesn't rain too hard, or keep looking for waterproof gear?

I think it comes down to how much time do you think you will stand or walk in the rain. If for hours then waterproof certainly would be better. If only if caught in the rain for a half hour or so, then water resistant should be fine, especially if you have an option to go inside and dry off. If just standing or sitting, a cheap plastic poncho always works well. I see they are even acceptable to wear at the Augusta Masters tournament.

Catalogs like TravelSmith and Magellans sell water resistent rain coats that fold up into their own pocket or a small bag. I've been drenched in one of those. I would at the very least have an inexpensive waterproof poncho in my travel kit for Alaska.

I always travel with a really waterproof Marmot brand jacket but then again I'm often out walking for long periods of time. Wet and cold is miserable.

I would buy something that is made of Gore-tex or one of the similar products. If it comes with a lining make sure it is a zip out, in the event it does get wet a zip out is much easier to dry aboard a ship. Better than a lining just get a fleece to wear under it or even a heavy sweater.

Go with waterPROOF. I took a water RESISTANT jacket on my last cruise and ended up soaked to the skin and sick as a dog. But be sure to get a waterproof jacket that also breathes, otherwise you'll be miserable. I got a really nice one from LLBean for like $60. It's called the Trail Model Rain Jacket. It is VERY thin, weighs nothing and folds up in to a very tiny bundle. You can spend a lot more money for Gore-tex or something equivalent, and you get what you pay for. But the $60 jacket was recommended by somebody else on Cruise Critic and I love it. Just be sure you bring a fleece or something to wear under it, because it isn't insulated at all.

Marmot is the brand I prefer, as a local here in Juneau. I actually have 2, in different colors to mix things up. :) A fleece vest is a good idea in case your the kind of person that may need an extra layer for warmth. You can always take it off and the fleece will pack well without getting wrinkled.

I live in "rain country"- I buy the raincoats I like, then if they are "water resistant"- Since I know I will be in rain- I just make it repellent by coating it. I buy water repellent spray- the brand I get is Scotch Gard heavy duty water repellent. The instructions say- spray one heavy coat- let dry completely- then spray two more light coats- and it works. Just be sure to let it dry - spray in a ventilated area- and give yourself lots of time. You can most often find it in the camping section at Walmart- Fred Meyer- and probably Target. Or any camping store.

I have one of those wonderful coats that pack into a little sleeve. I take in just about every trip- and sometimes were it at home. I love it - great for travel.

(Edited) First of all is there even a difference?

Should I go for that and hope it doesn't rain too hard, or keep looking for waterproof gear?

Lived in Juneau. The first day or two there was beautiful. Then it rained for a year and a half. If I wore a rainPROOF jacket I was wet inside from my own sweating. Perhaps there are newer breathable materials? I had better luck with a waterRESISTANT coat with a wool sweater which does not lose its insulation properties when wet.

Lived in Juneau. The first day or two there was beautiful. Then it rained for a year and a half. If I wore a rainPROOF jacket I was wet inside from my own sweating. Perhaps there are newer breathable materials? I had better luck with a waterRESISTANT coat with a wool sweater which does not lose its insulation properties when wet.

Yes, the "new" lightweight rainproof materials are excellent. I use mine, both at home and when we travel, as my outer layer for windy conditions, also.

Is it gonna look really dorky to just wear one of those colorful ponchos from target? Do you see people wearing them on Alaska cruises? I wont have too much need for a waterproof jacket after the cruise and I'd rather not spend too much money on it.

Archived