Would a cancellation fee change your booking habits?

Would a cancellation fee change your booking habits?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Would a cancellation fee change your booking habits?

• Yes, I would start booking closer to departure.
    • Yes, I'd stop booking cruises because there are too many hidden costs.
    • Maybe, it depends on the amount of the fee.
    • Maybe, if I couldn't book a similar cruise on a line with no fee.
    • No, $50 is chump change compared to the cruise fare.
    • No, I only book mainstream lines that don't have these fees.
    • No, I never cancel a cruise once I've booked.
    • None of the above -- I'll post below.

I hope you have your TA's statement in writing, preferably written on your reservation.

"Written" terms ALWAYS trump "said" words. He said / she said is not good enough to override written conditions in any contract or agreement.

Yes. I save all emails from the TA until after a cruise.

But, I guess TA fees are a different thing than what this thread was meant to be about. I wouldn't like it if the cruise line charged a cancellation fee, especially if you cancel 9 months away from the cruise like I did. I know their reservation agent has some work to do, but the fact is, they are going to sell that cabin again and make their money. I don't return a shirt to Walmart and have them tell me they have to recoup their labour cost by charging me a return fee.

While the $50 may not be enough to deter me from booking a cruise I really want to go on, I would probably be 100% sure I was going to be able to go before I booked. There would no longer be the "Well, we can always cancel before the final payment." option to consider... Although, I have never had that happen.

...out of the 19 cruises that we have booked. We had booked HAL's Eurodam for a cruise in February of 2009 over a year in advance. These boards started to talk about how it was going to be chartered by a group with "alternative lifestyles" for the cruise in question. After several months of both my calling HAL and my TA calling HAL, all we got was denial, denial, denial. They finally admitted some ten months in advance that indeed the cruise was being sold to such a group. I have absolutely no problem with their choice of lifestyle, but had no desire to sail on a ship where my wife and I might not fit in.

I cancelled the cruise with HAL. They never apologized or offered any discount of any value for another cruise to make-up for this deceit. I have never gone back to HAL although we very much enjoyed our five cruises with them and they were at one time our cruise line of choice. Since then we have taken cruises on RCCL and Princess and have another RCCL cruise booked for the fall and are looking at another for next winter. I will not book with HAL as I feel that they lied to us. I am sure that this multi-million dollar corporation does not miss me in the least, but they are not going to get one dime from me.:mad:

We already pay a $35 change fee to book to another cruise, and a $100 cancellation fee if we completely cancel, with our on-line agency. That's their fees and are implemented after you book. If the cruise lines also charge a fee, we will definitely start booking closer to the date when we are 100% sure of our plans. In the past, we normally book far in advance to get the best price. Occasionally, we'll take a last minute cruise if we can drive to the port. If the cruise lines want their customers to book far in advance, then they need to allow customers to change their plans without a penalty.

Archived