TA april 29th - funchal stop

njhh

Hello all,

We will be boarding (our first sd cruise) april 29th and the itinerary promises one stop at Funchal for 2 days. We have been there a few times before and would like to book something the first day that is unique and different, but are unsure what to do because we cannot find any indication of when we are scheduled to dock! This is unusual in our experience and while we might assume we will arrive early morning, we wonder why this is not made clear in the itinerary. Any insights from fellow cruisers?

Thanks,

Nancy and Paul

ON a SeaDream TA, there is some time built into the schedule for sailing to avoid bad weather, (whereas the big guys are forced to steam right through it) so depending on the sea conditions, you could arrive within a certain window of the first day.... If the weather is warm and you are lucky, you might even have time to stop mid-ocean for a swim...

If there is something that you really want to do in Funchal, it might be stressful to book it for your first day.

I'm not sure which SD TA you are on as there is not one that departs on April 29. Unless I'm missing something it appears that neither ship is scheduled to be in port longer than a day.

SD1 departs April 30 and according to the website is scheduled to arrive in Funchal the evening of May 9 and depart the evening of May 10. So, it appears that it will only be there for 24 hours or so.

SD2 departs on April 25 and according to the website is scheduled to arrive in Funchal the morning of May 4 and depart that evening.

Your documents may state something different than the website and, if so, I would think your documents would be more likely to be correct. Also, as Abenaki suggests, there is extra time built into the schedule and depending on progress you may still have extra time at Funchal but that you won't know until the cruise is well underway.

In any event, I certainly would carefully check the itinerary that accompanied your documents and only schedule things ashore during the window that the ship is officially scheduled to be in port.

Both of these messages are very helpful. Yes, it is SD 1 and right you are, we sail the 30th. Although we are experienced cruisers, we are new to SD and we have not figured out how to get itinerary information via the website. In order to sign on as a registered guest, and get cruise info, we need to join the "club" but as of now, we have not figured out how to join the club via the website. We will work on that. But thank you both for responding to our question, your information points us in the right direction.

Nancy and Paul

Both of these messages are very helpful. Yes, it is SD 1 and right you are, we sail the 30th. Although we are experienced cruisers, we are new to SD and we have not figured out how to get itinerary information via the website. In order to sign on as a registered guest, and get cruise info, we need to join the "club" but as of now, we have not figured out how to join the club via the website. We will work on that. But thank you both for responding to our question, your information points us in the right direction.

Nancy and Paul

Your "club number" is on your documents at the top of the guest invoice page. You should have your docs by now. We are sailing at the end of May and have had ours for weeks. If you used a TA check with them. They have your club number.

Believe it or not, we don't have our tickets yet for our 4/30 sailing, but I have a message into our agent. Our e-docs confirmation state that the tickets will arrive about one week prior to sailing. We are in a guar stateroom, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Thanks with the help navigating the site. I did figure that out and see we will be arriving in Funchal during the evening. Hmmm, I wonder what people will do with the evening?

Believe it or not, I was confused about the e-doc ticketing process. I had an e-doc confirmation but they needed all the guest information before they could issue e-doc tickets (DUH - too many details in our upcoming trip) So today I registered via phone and the e-doc tickets will arrive shortly. So glad I posted and stirred the pot!

BTW, I asked for information about how many will be joining us on this transatlantic, and I found out that the ship is at 60% capacity. Should be a nice quiet cruise!

Archived