Eastern Vs. Southern

secretv2

Hey!!!

This will be our first time Crusing the Caribbean. We are having a hard time deciding. Eastern Vs. Southern...Beaches, Beaches, Water Activities and Shopping is what we are interested in. HELP!!!:rolleyes:

Hey!!!

This will be our first time Crusing the Caribbean. We are having a hard time deciding. Eastern Vs. Southern...Beaches, Beaches, Water Activities and Shopping is what we are interested in. HELP!!!:rolleyes:

These are the itinerary's we are considering.

Eastern- San Juan PR, St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola and Nassau W/Carnival Freedom

or

Southern- St. Maarten, St.Lucia and St. Kitts w/Carnival Miracle

• 1 month later...

I've been to a few of those islands on each of those choices and for us the shopping is very good on both St. Thomas and St. Marteen. While the island isn't as pretty as some of the others Antigua has FANTASTIC beaches and water, as do pretty much all the other islands but we really thought Antigua was tops. However, my favorite island on your list is St. Marteen, just loved everything about it. St. Thomas where we've stayed just for vacation isn't quite like it used to be, much more there now than it was a decade ago, but still a nice place to visit with both great beaches and shopping. St Lucia was very jungle like but I didn't see what I'd call great beaches however we were on a tour so we may have missed them. Was in Nassau last Nov. and eh? it was alright but I don't need to go back there anytime soon. What cruise line are you looking at? When we went we were on RCCL and our itinerary had ports from both of the cruises your looking at and Carnival also hits some of the same ports on their Southern cruise so you get what I'd say are some of the best ports you're looking at combined on the same cruise! Something to think about.

We did your first itinerary on Carnival Liberty in 2008 and really enjoyed it.. just right amount of sea time.. We did tour with Lawrence in Antigua that we really enjoyed and also went to the Baths at Virgin Gorda from Tortola.. we did that as ship tour because price was almost the same and we had relatively short port call = IMHO that is not to be missed.. and going early in the day with an excursion meant we missed a lot of the crowds that were showing up by 11:a.m. We did some sightseeing in San Juan (and shopping of course at the Coach outlet I admit) and snorkeled in St Thomas.. a great cruise.

Haven't been to other islands so can't speak to them

• 3 weeks later...
These are the itinerary's we are considering.

Eastern- San Juan PR, St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola and Nassau W/Carnival Freedom

or

Southern- St. Maarten, St.Lucia and St. Kitts w/Carnival Miracle

For "beaches, beaches, water activities and shopping" I think the first option gives you more. St Lucia is very picturesque but not the best beach stop. Plenty of beaches on St Thomas, Antigua and Tortola. St Maarten is similar to the above 3. St Maarten & St Thomas are known for shopping.

Actually the first option would be about my optimal recommendation for a first cruise in the Caribbean. The ports all get a fair amount of traffic and are relatively easy to negotiate for a first-timer. San Juan & Nassau are easy to get around; St Thomas, Antigua and Tortola are all very scenic. A short cab ride will get you to some very nice locations in all these ports.

Personally I would recommend the first one. If you like cruising - and you will - you might consider a followup cruise on the Southern route which will typically include St Lucia and some other less-visited locations. For a Southern cruise I would actually recommend booking longer than 7 days if you can because of the extra distance to get there.

• 2 weeks later...

:)If you want to visit some extra "Southern" islands you might consider the itinerary of the Carnival Victory out of San Juan. 7 days, Sunday through Sunday, 6 yes six island stops..... St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and St. Maarten. Lots of bang for the $$$$$$.:D The end of September 2010 through October 2010 has some low rates but air fare will cost you some. Early January 2011 through March 2011 has some great rates as does September 2011 through mid December 2011. Lots to do, wake up in a different island every day, GREAT TRIP!!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

We've done both the Southern and Eastern on RCCL. We visited most of the ports on both your lists but in addition visited Dominica (fabulous if you scuba dive) and few others (brain freeze right now). Our last trip to Nassau we did the Dolphins with Blue Lagoon and it was the best. Boat picks you up at pier and takes you to a tiny little island where you can swim with the dophins or just have Dolphin encounter (interact, touch, kiss, etc). The island is beautiful and if you do the morning trip, you can enjoy a gorgeous beach. If you plan time-wise, you can still have time to visit the straw market if this is your first visit. Beach break is great in St. Marteen or St. Thomas. Shopping is more expensive to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much!!! We are changing our dates due to work schedules to sail either in March or April 2011... 8 or 9 months away :-D Please keep the post coming... You are helping us out so much:D

If you really want to cover some ground I agree with Victorylover.... I'd look into sailing out of San Juan and hitting 'em all....:eek:.... Since your coming in from NM maybe the airfare on to San Juan won't be that much more than a flight into Miami or FLL...:confused:

One thing that I can tell you about this cruise (we cruised the Southern route when the Destiny was ported at San Juan) when its over your head is spinning from all the places you have been an seen in that week... We needed another vacation just to catch our breath.... Jeez

Joey & Pat

If you really want to cover some ground I agree with Victorylover.... I'd look into sailing out of San Juan and hitting 'em all....:eek:.... Since your coming in from NM maybe the airfare on to San Juan won't be that much more than a flight into Miami or FLL...:confused:

One thing that I can tell you about this cruise (we cruised the Southern route when the Destiny was ported at San Juan) when its over your head is spinning from all the places you have been an seen in that week... We needed another vacation just to catch our breath.... Jeez

Joey & Pat

My DH is totally winking at me now...he is totally loving the idea of sailing out of San Juan now ;) It sure does sound fantastic. I was thinking SW air (Ding) Special to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami $300 bucks RT. I wonder what airfare would be to San Juan:confused: Thank you so much!!!

My DH is totally winking at me now...he is totally loving the idea of sailing out of San Juan now ;) It sure does sound fantastic. I was thinking SW air (Ding) Special to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami $300 bucks RT. I wonder what airfare would be to San Juan:confused: Thank you so much!!!

Great price for a round trip to MIA.... But SW doesn't fly to SJU...:(... That is part of the reason that cruises are reasonible out of San Juan... The savings on the cruise are used up on airfare... Another thing that is a draw back on SJU is it may not be classified as international so that expensive luggage fee kicks in...:mad:

But believe me and Victorylover this might just be the cruise to suck it up and pay a bit extra.... Adventure of the Sea also does this cruise from San Juan and it is very island intensive too... Talked to folks that have done this one and they have had a great cruise... We personnally haven't cruised AOS so we can't comment either way...

One hell of a cruise on the Destiny though.... A 5 star party of islands and a 4 star ship...Jeez... Wished we were headed back....

Joey & Pat

Great price for a round trip to MIA.... But SW doesn't fly to SJU...:(... That is part of the reason that cruises are reasonible out of San Juan... The savings on the cruise are used up on airfare... Another thing that is a draw back on SJU is it may not be classified as international so that expensive luggage fee kicks in...:mad:

But believe me and Victorylover this might just be the cruise to suck it up and pay a bit extra.... Adventure of the Sea also does this cruise from San Juan and it is very island intensive too... Talked to folks that have done this one and they have had a great cruise... We personnally haven't cruised AOS so we can't comment either way...

One hell of a cruise on the Destiny though.... A 5 star party of islands and a 4 star ship...Jeez... Wished we were headed back....

Joey & Pat

Tee Hee :D I am going to look into airfare from ABQ-SJU. Thank you!

Tee Hee :D I am going to look into airfare from ABQ-SJU. Thank you!

No problem.... Which ever cruise you and your hubby decide to take I hope it will turn out the best cruise, so far....:D

Joey & Pat

Archived