***Mariner of the Seas - Statement From Royal Caribbean

LauraS

Some of you are treading very close to Libel, and Defamation. I'm pretty sure if RCI wanted to pursue it, they could find out who you all are. If you are not familiar with the law, you might want to visit this site;

http://injury-law.freeadvice.com/libel_and_slander/

True but according to your site you have posted this is what i found.

"In order to prove defamation, you have to be able to prove that what was said or written about you was false. If the information is true, or if you consented to publication of the material, you will not have a case. However, you may bring an defamatory action if the comments are so reprehensible and false that they effect your reputation in the community or cast aspersions on you."

For one they can not prove what we say is false and second i doubt this will ruin their reputation.

I disagree. They CAN prove what you all are saying is untrue(or inaccurate at the least). Remember, they have accountibility. And they document everything. Especially with the CDC. They could prove anything they needed to. I am confident of that.

But If people have confidence that these post are not damaging their reputation, that they won't loose business or that they won't come after anyone, then post away.....

I will say this one last time. My issue has NOTHING to do with us getting sick, we felt better within a day. My problem is 100% to due with the way we were treated by the personel on the ship. Bottom line, end of story for me....

I will say this one last time. My issue has NOTHING to do with us getting sick, we felt better within a day. My problem is 100% to due with the way we were treated by the personel on the ship. Bottom line, end of story for me....

Don't waste your time here, Debbie. It's hard to tell because of all of the deleted messages in this thread but this topic was basically dead before the all knowing 1CORONA arrived on the scene. She has pretty much called all of us she disagrees with liars and she wasn't even on the ship.

For the absolutely last time, we have sailed on RCI many times and we have always been treated OK. We want nothing from them. We just have a problem with what we witnessed on the ship and what they are saying.

Have a good one, Debbie. Feel free to email me at bpear1600@yahoo.com at any time but these are my last words on this subject in this forum.

1CORONA, if you want the topic to die just don't reply to this posting. Can you resist the temptation to have the last word? :)

Bob

Thank you, Demodawn, for setting the record straight on flu vs. stomach virus. I'm a nurse, and it just drives me nuts when people who have a stomach virus swear they have the flu.

Flu, or influenza, as Demodawn correctly stated, has nothing to do with vomiting and/or diarrhea. It is completely respiratory. The symptoms are similar to a very bad cold, but a thousand times worse. It doesn't creep up on you like a cold does; it hits your very quickly! One minute you are fine, and within hours, you are flat on your back with very high fever (commonly 103 or greater), horrific body aches, sore throat, headache, nasal congestion, and cough. The symptoms usually last for a good week, sometimes longer.

What the CDC was referring to when they said "flu-like symptoms" I believe meant that with the stomach virus, you may or may not have fever, chills, body aches and headache. But it is most definitely not influenza, which is what the flu vaccine is given to protect.

Good explanation, JerseyGirl. I too am a nurse and get frustrated when people refer to Norovirus and the flu as one in the same, but this time I just let it go because sometimes it seems you are talking to a brick wall getting people to understand and believe.

Norovirus shows up every year in the world at large as well as cruise ships and every year these boards are buzzing with it. Keep in mind that cruise ships get more flak for this because they are the only entity required to report it. It may seem to be a hotbed of Norovirus, but on the whole, cruising is still relatively safe. If 10% of a ship gets it, that's significant, but that also means that 90% did not. The best defense is hand washing, but please note that as with any endeavor, there is absolutely NO WAY for us or the cruise lines to completely eradicate the risk. Each passenger must decide for themselves if they are willing to take the risk. If so, wash hands, be careful, and just hope and pray for the best. That's really the best any of us can do.

Good health to all.

We were on the Radiance two years ago. When I got off the elliptical I went looking for the disinfectant spray and was told they didn't have any. This was around the time when ship after ship was being stricken, so I was very surprised. I had purchased my own antibacterial wipes to bring on board, which I used on the gym equipment before and after for the rest of the cruise. Suggest cruisers bring along a package, although really, we shouldn't have to.

I was a passenger on the RCL "Mariner" over the week of 1/16. My husband and I were taken ill on day 2 of the cruise. The next day as a precaution we went to the doctors officer to get some ammonium AD. Next thing we knew we were given shots and told we were quarantined for 24 hrs due to an "epidemic". Next day the 24 was not 72hrs. When I asked basic questions the doctor was rude to me and threatening to my husband and would not answer the question how many were sick and exactly when I could get off the ship. The next day I was told that I could come down to the medical office and get reevaluated. Once I got down there the doctor told me he had been up all night and why was I bothered him? I could not believe my ears. Repeat customers asking a perfectly rightful question. I left the office crying. The only time guest relations called our room to ask how we were was in response to my reaction in the medical facility. The next day (when we were suppose to be ok to leave the ship), the alarm went off and we were told to go to the hospital. We had to get a piece of paper to take to security to get off the boat. We were told we didn't need one. I'm trying to ask myself why. Why did it take a day to get water delivered to our room?

Why did the ship not deliver food automatically to us like they statement they would. Why didn't quest relations or the doctors office check on us to see how we were? (Glad I wasn't traveling alone) Why were we told the sick totaled 250 when a customs agent said 600 plus. Why did our hallway smell like raw sewage? Why did we not see servers wearing gloves before we were quarantined if this is such a problem? Why can't I get a company rep to speak with me? Customer Service says I can write a letter to the legal department. I cannot call them. Why did the doctor tell me when I asked him if anyone was sick on the last cruise no. Luck would have it, that we know someone who was.. Why isn't anyone talking about this illness can be caused by a sick person or fecal oral food contamination. I guess I know the answer to that question. I’m posting this message for all those sick children and older passengers that had to be taken off the ship because they couldn’t treat them. I pray they are fine. Suggested reading (Center for disease Control website). Learn about Noro virus. I washed my hands. Did my food handler?

Sorry to hear that so many people got sick. We sailed the next week on the Mairner and noticed that the entire crew were cleaning, cleaning and cleaning. We wern't allowed to board the ship until 1:00pm because they were cleaning and scrubbing the entire ship. The food staff were all wearing gloves and the tables were cleaned between every passenger. They even cleaned the chairs(arms backs and seats), salt and pepper shakers. We were told by Captain Johnny many times not to shake hands with anyone even the staff. We felt that the staff on the ship made every precaution to limit the exposure from the bug to spread. I applaud RCCL for making every effort to help keep the ship clean and our vacation safe.

I'm not one to flame a company but I, too, have my dealings w/RCCL and X.

Had Norwalk or food poisoning 2 years ago on Summit over Xmas. This was confirmed after I spoke w/Dave Fornier from CDC (spoke to him personally) after my treatment (or mistreatment) on the cruise. I arrived home with Cellulitis that almost landed me in the hospital. (and I did go the ship's MD twice while on board.. don't trust the foreign trained and practicing MDs now). Well this time around (Brilliance Xmas/New Years) 3 in our family got ill. I was accepting of this. Luckily we had a balcony to get air while quarantining ourselves. My daughter was just recovering from pneumonia when we got on ship (we didn't know we were actually going on ship 'cause of her illness until day before I flight to Miami when we got MDs green light, had all stuff on couch at home 'cause didn't want to jinx anything). Well when Libby got violently ill (on New Years eve) I called the ship's MD immediately. I got the nurse. She REFUSED to get the doctor. Told me to get the dramamine at Guest Relations and not to disturb them. Well my daughter's 8, had been treated by MD for over 2 1/2 weeks for a serious illness, was scared and I was to leave her in cabin to get pills. I was LIVID (to say the least) did got to GR and told them about nurse. Well we couldn't get them to get the MD so I went back to cabin to take care of daughter. Lost 2 more days of cruise... was appalled about treatment (or lack) that we got. Actually don't know what the MD would have done. I doubt I'd trust them to give my daughter an IV or mix additional meds w/her antibiotics. I was hoping to reach our doctor but since it was a holiday I wasn't sure how they'd call the ship back.(w/answering service).

So I can totally understand what went on during the Mariner sailing.

We're supposed to be sailing on Visions on 2/20. My daughter still is experiencing stomach problems. I just took her (again) to the MD today, we was also seen by him when we returned from ship (on Jan. 4th). I now need to take a stool sample for her for the next 3 days to see if she contracted something new when we sailed. I really don't think I can get on Visions with a clear head knowing that I couldn't get treatment for Libby from the ship's doctor and also that all the ports are in Mexico. I called RCCL to explain our "problem" since I question shipboard doctors and our doctor here really doesn't want her to board a RCCL ship until she's totally healthy (for a while). Since we purchased our insurance after she contracted pneumonia anything that happened on cruise might be considered pre-existing since her immunity was compromised when we boarded. We probably will be out the $$ if we cancel. When I contacted RCCL they were very hostile, and told me I should have purchased "their" insurance through Berkley.. which we would NEVER do.. that way we'd only be out 25% of the $$. Isn't that generous of them after we were unable to get treatment on Brilliance, she's still sick now (while we're not in total penalty) and "if" we board and she gets ill again may not even get treatment (or the wrong treatment since these doctors aren't trained in pediatrics and probably not infectious diseases either). All I wanted to a credit towards another cruise. BTW, we're Diamond with RCCL. Well loyalty means nothing w/them. We'll probably eat our losses. I'll put in a claim with CSA and have my fingers Xd. But, unless I get some satisfaction (not necessary monetary compensation but more likely some answers) I highly doubt we'll be sailing w/RCCL any time soon... their loss.

Carolyn

Cruise ships need to start paying sick leave to their employees. On all ships not US flagged, if you don't work you don't get paid, period. If a server doesn't work and another has to cover their table they get a piece of the tip money. Until that practice stops sick employees will be highly motivated to work and not report being ill.

[iQUOTE=bpear1600]The truth will out in spite of the spin doctors, Jerry, thanks to some of us who aren't afraid to call a spade a spade.

I would bet my last dollar that the press release was thoroughly watered down by RCI's PR people/firm who should be fired in my opinion. Just tell the truth RCI. We'll still love you and support you. Nobody expects perfection, just improvement in certain areas.

RCI should have said there were X number of REPORTED CASES. Anyone on the ship knows the number was much higher due to the people who admittedly didn't report to Medical because they didn't want to be confined. Thanks for thinking of your fellow passengers folks. How many people did you spread the sickness to? We've even got one RCI apologist in this thread who advocates bringing your own meds so you don't have to go to the infirmary. Talk about irresponsibility!

There is no proof the virus was or was not "brought onboard by a guest".

Not all who reported to Medical were "treated and responded well to over the counter medication". I personally know several people, including myself, who were given shots in the butt for nausea and LOMOTIL, a narcotic, for diarrhea. I also know for certain that at least two people were so badly dehydrated they were put on IV.

Why did servers in the Windjammer not wear hand coverings until the last day of the cruise?

Why were there no sanitizing stations outside the Windjammer when lunch opened the last day of the cruise?

Why did the greeter ignore the countless kids and others who failed to stop and sanitize?

In hindsight was it really a good idea for Monday night's entertainer, Judy whatever, to have the entire audience in the Savoy theater shake hands with those on either side and ahead and behind them?

I am not bitter; I have no axe to grind with RCI and I don't care about the money. I don't even care about the time lost; we are retired and could go on a cruise next week if we wanted to.

I am tired of people who are for whatever reason unwilling to handle the truth.

Bob

I am curious, as I read the posts from a very unhappy camper/or cruiser I should say. What kind of narcotics were you given?? sounds very odd to treat this virus. Lomotil is over the counter and not a narcotic, neither are the drugs for nausea. Just wanted to clear that up.

Til we cruise away to Europe!

I have been reading these boards for some time but have never been moved to respond until now. I too was on the Jan 16th cruise but from what I have been hearing here, I doubt some of these people were. First off, it is NOT RCCL's fault that any one got sick. That virus was brought on the ship by a passenger. By the time RCCL was aware of the problem, the virus had already infected a number of people. Immediatly the ship responded with cleaning measures and other safeguards. The problem was not made worse by them but rather by infected passengers, who refused to stay in their cabins while still contagious. That virus can be contagious for up to 48 hours after symptoms dissappear. One quick trip out of the cabin can easily infect several more people. I witnessed those selfish acts more than once.

As for the cleaning, it was going on 24 hours per day. All of the passenger areas were cleaned at night, or in port and whenever not in use. This was done at these times to lessen the passengers inconvienence. Trust me when I say that at 3am ( yes I was up) I saw several crews throughout the ship scouring everything in site. For anyone who states that they did not see any cleaning going on is ridiculous.

The number of passengers who were actually sick with a virus was exaggerated. The ship experienced rather rough seas the first 2 days and many of those who were thought to be infected, actually had bad cases of seasickness. My own travel companion was one of these cases. Although the figure released by RCCL is listed at close to 300, in actuality I have heard from top management on the ship that it was closer to 200. Considering that there were 5000 people on board that is not a huge number.

The crew was put on code red status by noon on Monday. That meant increased sanatation, strict quarantines and crew were strongly encouraged to avoid any contact with passengers. Passengers were encouraged to wash their hands especially before eating. Well guess what, they would wash their hands in their cabin. get in the elevator and go eat. The elevator was probably where most people picked it up. I see the biggest offenders here are the passengers and not the crew or cruiseline. I don't believe that these people deserved to get sick and it is unfortunate that they had to experience such an awful illness on their vacation. It is not the passengers fault nor the cruiselines fault that this occurred. I feel that the cruiseline response was above and beyond. They did everything they could to try to prevent more cases and then offered compensation to many of those affected. Keep in mind they are not at fault and therefore not required to offer anything. For anyone to say they are trying to cover their butt is ludicrious. I feel that they did an excellent job.

I have been on that ship 3 times and have now booked my 4th trip on Mariner leaving in 2 weeks. I have no qualms about getting back on that ship. For the past 2 Sundays the entire crew has been kept onboard in Port Canaveral to scour the ship. Not just the cleaning crews, but EVERYONE, entertainers, cooks, captian's staff, cruise director staff, EVERYONE. The entire ship, every surface was disenfected. I have several freinds and aquaintances that work on the ship including many of the entertainers and high level staff. The information I hear from them is consistant to my own conclusions as to how this was handled. Sorry to dissapoint all of the naysayers out there but I don't think RCCL will be filling bankruptcy any time soon.

For anyone who is apprehensive about going on the ship, don't be. Be careful and follow some simple suggestions. Try to avoid the elevators. Elevators whether on ships or elsewhere are notorious for spreading airborne illness. Take the stairs, get some excercise. Second, go to your local drugstore and buy a bottle of hand santizer. Use it after filling your plate at the buffet but before eating. Other than that there is not much else you can do. Keep in mind you are much more likely to be exposed to a virus on the flight down to Florida that on the ship. Thousands more people get exposed on airliners than on ships. Unfortunatly for the cruise industry there is no way to prevent passengers from bringing these on board. Unlike a plane where all passengers disperse in a few hours, you are in a contained population for 7 days.

I know I am going to get some flack for this but it needed to be said. I am sorry that anyone got sick, but it is unfair to place blame where it does not belong.

I am curious, as I read the posts from a very unhappy camper/or cruiser I should say. What kind of narcotics were you given?? sounds very odd to treat this virus. Lomotil is over the counter and not a narcotic, neither are the drugs for nausea. Just wanted to clear that up.

Til we cruise away to Europe!

Lomotil is narcotic based, because it helps stop diarrhea by slowing down the movements of the intestines, which help with the symptoms. Nothing strange about that at all.

Paregoric (which is opium based) is also specifically for diarrhea.(and stomach viruses) Paregoric use to be sold over the counter, with a signature of someone over 18, same as as Parapectolane,(sp?)but they have since changed that. Now it's only by perscription. I used it many times and never had any adverse effects from it.

Both drus can be used for other stomach viruses. I think if both drugs slow down the movement of the intestines, they would also slow down the contractions of the stomach, which cause vomiting.

My opinion, and experience anyway.

Well, to be honest, when reading how many people got sick out of the 3,400 or so passengers and crew, it wasn't like the whole cruise ship was sick. I feel really bad for everybody that did get sick, but how come only those people and crew members got sick?

I'm going on my first cruise ever this year and after reading and seeing this stuff on TV, I'm bringing antibacterial soap, rubber gloves, chlorox wipes, the works.

Say, wouldn't a cruise ship setting be a great episode for "Monk"? Ha!

I know a little bit about libel and slander ... and I doubt seriously if Royal Caribbean would sue someone based on something posted on a message board. That is usually reserved for something that would be written in a national publication. But off a message board? Anything is possible, but it is HIGHLY, and I emphasis, HIGHLY unlikely. It is almost comical to suggest that they would. In fact, suing someone for something posted on a message board would only serve to publicize what the person wrote even more once the national media got ahold of the particiular of the suit. There are a few boneheads on the message board, and I know RCCL realizes that as well. They, like me, would consider the source and move on. Did I say that RCCL suing someone over this was HIGHLY unlikely? Oh yeah, I did.

I know a little bit about libel and slander ... and I doubt seriously if Royal Caribbean would sue someone based on something posted on a message board. That is usually reserved for something that would be written in a national publication. But off a message board? Anything is possible, but it is HIGHLY, and I emphasis, HIGHLY unlikely. It is almost comical to suggest that they would. In fact, suing someone for something posted on a message board would only serve to publicize what the person wrote even more once the national media got ahold of the particiular of the suit. There are a few boneheads on the message board, and I know RCCL realizes that as well. They, like me, would consider the source and move on. Did I say that RCCL suing someone over this was HIGHLY unlikely? Oh yeah, I did.

Well, you'd be wrong if you think that either a company or a person will not sue over messages posted on a message board. It is happening more and more. I did a simple search on Google, and found many cases that have gone to the courts. Prodigy, CompuServe, Yahoo, EBay, and others are among the companies involved in these suits. More often than not, they were sued over what they allowed on their boards. Anonymous posters were also pursued. Most of the cases against the companies were dismissed, and the poster was found liable for what they had posted.(defamatory comments)

Whether these cases ever net anything for the plaintiff is irrelevant. They can make life difficult for anyone. Money and time spent fighting them, to me, is just not worth the risk.

So it can happen. Freedom of speech is not always without consequence. I don't understand why you think the internet is not "national publication". Anything in print, on the net is considered a publication. At least it is by the US Copyright Office.

Here is a link to some information from an attorney, but there are many out there, if you are so inclined to look for them.

http://www.lawyers.com/lawyers/A~1001338~LDS/Internet+Law+Libel+Online.html

No, I disagree with suggestions about closing such posts. And agree the idea about slander is it bit of an over-reaction!

Some of us are interested. In fact I haven't been trawling this thread at all, I just noticed it and read it for the first time. It is interesting and it's good to know what can happen. Of course some postings are emotive and there are differences of opinion, that's what information is about.

Sorry to hear that those who were sick had a bummer holiday. Thanks for sharing so we can think of how to avoid similar situations in the future.

Over the counter medication? LOMOTIL, the narcotic? Also the shot I got in my butt? I think not. :)

I spent an hour or more a day in the Fitness Center when I wasn't sick or quarantined and never once saw anyone cleaning anything. In fact, most people we spoke to thought it was very unusual in this day and age to have such a facility without bottles of disinfectant to spray on equipment between users. NCL ships do. People sweat profusely and cleaning equipment once or twice a day accomplishes nothing.

Sorry, but RCI is just trying to cover its' butt IMHO.

I agree entirely that RCCL is covering it's butt. My Travel Agent also agrees and has cancelled all future business with the cruise line. We had a group of 64 going out and not one person was satisfied with this cruise. Does that tell you something? The number of people that got sick is unconscionable and many got sick after they left the ship. Most of those people who were sick did not even report it for fear of being quarantined for 3 days after paying all that money for the cruise. This cruise was a complete abomination and the cruise line should be ashamed of itself for the way they responsed to passengers.

I totally agree Jack!!! You and I both know there were more than 250 people sick on that ship. I really dont understand where the ones were that said they didnt see anything. I think it is shear luck that they didnt have to smell or witness what was going on. I wish I were them.

Archived