BEWARE! Elemis Detox in SPA

maeffron

In our first few cruises we were dumb enough to go to their seminars on detoxifying yourself.

Loved hearing about how horrible coffee was and how long caffeine would stay in your system.

People just ate it up.

At that time I was nicer and just said thanks and left.

Now I would ask pointed questions and get my wife embarassed so we manage to skip this form of entertainment.

First of all I'm relatively conservative when it comes to medical care / treatments.

My wife does spa (various massages) when on a cruise. She does it since we're on vacation and it's more of a relaxing way to pass time. Yes, they do attempt to sell product but typically no is good enough.

I have a friend that cruises with us that is a old school dentist. When I hear the tooth whitening gig, I suggest to him that we should open shop and charge $100 until we pay for the cruise :rolleyes:.

As to "treatments" why would one expect any miracle cures for detox, weight loss, whatever, just becasue you went to a seminar (not sure why one would go, but it's everyone else's call). Then when you buy, it's their fault.

I'm not sure how I have survived 50+ years without these treatments???

I am also not one to apologize on behalf of a cruise line, if the OP wants to try another line so be it as I could care less.

Buyer beware and let it be.

In our first few cruises we were dumb enough to go to their seminars on detoxifying yourself.

Loved hearing about how horrible coffee was and how long caffeine would stay in your system.

People just ate it up.

At that time I was nicer and just said thanks and left.

Now I would ask pointed questions and get my wife embarassed so we manage to skip this form of entertainment.

You sound like me and my beloved. :D

I would never do a spa "medical" treatment without first speaking to a doctor.

Sorry that will not work.

Us SPA people must grab you before a Dr can tell you that what we are saying is nonsense.

Otherwise might have to get a real job.

Here is a solution to the sales pitch.

When you go for your massage, put 4 $5 bills on the table. Tell the masseuse that those bills are her tip, but you'll take $5 away every time she tries to sell you something.

I like this - have you actually tried it? I don't want to offend the spa employees but I refuse to buy anything in that sort of situation. Not to mention my vacation time they try to take up. I can't get that back. Maybe at the beginning of a massage I could have a heart to heart with the girl and tell her that although I appreciate a good massage when she tries to sell me it ruins the experience - then go into the 4 $5 bills thing.

I like this - have you actually tried it? I don't want to offend the spa employees but I refuse to buy anything in that sort of situation. Not to mention my vacation time they try to take up. I can't get that back. Maybe at the beginning of a massage I could have a heart to heart with the girl and tell her that although I appreciate a good massage when she tries to sell me it ruins the experience - then go into the 4 $5 bills thing.

That's a little demeaning. I find saying "No, thanks but not thanks" in a firm, respectful tone works much better than acting all high-and-mighty. If they hard-sell you after that, just mentally take the $5 off the tip. No need to treat them like a child or a lesser creature.

No need to treat them like a child or a lesser creature.

From your lips to somebody's... anybody's ears......Have you seen the way some crew members are treated by some passengers??? :(

That's a little demeaning. I find saying "No, thanks but not thanks" in a firm, respectful tone works much better than acting all high-and-mighty. If they hard-sell you after that, just mentally take the $5 off the tip. No need to treat them like a child or a lesser creature.

It could be argued that while condescending, the massage therapist might appreciate the honesty of the situation. If you just mentally start reducing the tip they're losing money and aren't sure why.

Placing the bills in view might be a bit obnoxious. I'd just inform the therapist, "I'm here for a nice relaxing massage, if you don't give me sales pitches, I'll throw in a bigger tip."

It could be argued that while condescending, the massage therapist might appreciate the honesty of the situation. If you just mentally start reducing the tip they're losing money and aren't sure why.

Placing the bills in view might be a bit obnoxious. I'd just inform the therapist, "I'm here for a nice relaxing massage, if you don't give me sales pitches, I'll throw in a bigger tip."

Or just say nicely raise your hand when they go to launch into the spiel and say firmly but politely "I'm not interested in any products, thank you."

People don't realize that the people working in the spa have to sell a certain amount of product everyday. Yeah, it sucks for us and it sucks for the people selling the products.

From your lips to somebody's... anybody's ears......Have you seen the way some crew members are treated by some passengers??? :(

You've hit a hot button for me. The only time I have lost my temper on a cruise is when this one fellow (with his wife and teenage kids) started berating a server next to the pool because he didn't pick up his dishes (that were hidden under his chaise). He was rude and quite an example to his kids.

I almost intervened but my wife gave me the "don't you dare" look. I went up to the server (I still remember his name) and talked with him afterwards, I was surprised it really didn't bother him so I guess they get to used to it.

Condescending attitudes whether it placing bills out, reducing them as you see fit is pretty childless. We just say "no, thank you" and have no problems.

Some people think mainstream cruises are luxury lines and they are not.

• 7 months later...

Thanks for posting this message about the elenis products. I was debating to have the test done and then buy the products but I figured I better check out on line if anyone else has used these products first. Im glad I read your message you saved me alot of time and money. Thanks again

• 1 year later...

Just got off the Carnival cruise July 15th, 2012. My husband and I went to the Spa seminars and took the tests for the seaweed detox. They also wanted us to come to the boot camp, so we went, next thing I know we were billed $659.00 each for the detox system. We didn't sign anything, so had to argue with guest services, which sent us upstairs to the spa, argue with them to get the bill cleared off, then back to guest services to make sure it was off. The spa instructor called, and I said we would think about it after the cruise, he said we needed to sign up before we got off the ship. We didn't sign up nor did we go back to the SPA!!! IT all sounded good and now checking online and see everything is alot cheaper. Also, found out shore excursions are cheaper as soon as you leave the ship and port area. The "little man" treats you better and it less expensive!!!:)

Archived