Hotel in Buenos Aires?

Gablin

QWe stayed at Claridges, which has a British feel and v good service. PS great location 1/2 block to Florida St where there is alot of shopping and is safe at night

We used our hotel points and stayed at the Hilton........you can catch the hop on/hop off bus across the street. :) There are plenty of cabs in BA, too.

Did you use the hop on/hop off bus? Most of the reviews I have seen have not been good...I would be interested in your opinion or if any one else has used it and what they thought. :confused:

This past Jan we stayed at the Howard Johnson Boutique Recolleta. Very clean hotel, spacious rooms, good breakfast and extremely courteous staff, all at a reasonable price. Did a review on trip advisor.

We also stayed at this hotel on February 27 & 28, 2010 and highly recommend it. We booked our non-smoking room with two queen beds in advance online. The location was very convenient to shopping, the Recoleta Cemetery, restaurants, grocery, and was in a good neighborhood. We walked everywhere. The staff were incredibly helpful and pleasant. The buffet breakfast was ample and good. The general atmosphere was comfortable, relaxed and friendly as other guests were talkative while we waited to use the computers in the lobby. The rooms are brand new, large, quiet and clean. Much better than American standards for that price. We thought it was a great bargain.

Yes, we used the hop on hop off bus for two days.:)........you choose your language to plug 'into'............I liked the idea of listening to the history of the different areas/neighborhoods/to get an 'overview' of Buenos Aires. We stayed on the bus for the entire loop and then decided where we wanted to 'tour' on our own.

My husband and I look for these type of tours when we travel to a new location.....;).

Could anyone give me an indication of how much a taxi from the port to Howard Johnson Boutique Recoleta should cost please? Anything to watch out for?

I stayed at HoJo Boutique Recoletal in March while in Buenos Aires for a conference that was located in a downtown. I took taxis back and forth..the ct ost varied, depending on traffic, between 15 and 20 pesos....five dollars or less. The dock adjacent to the downtown area...so 5 to 6 dollars is a safe estimate for the current cost.

If your cruise is months away, the price will need to be adjusted for a. inflation, which has been running at about 20% per year in Argentina and b. currency fluctuation...right now the peso is losing ground vs the dollar...having gone from 3.0 pesos per dollar to 3.89 pesos per dollar over the past year or so..

A second caution....Taxi services at many transportation centers (the domestic airport, cruise terminal, ferry terminal and bus station) attract pirate cabs who will charge triple or more the going rate for a taxi...get the rate before you get into a cab taken directly from the pier....better yet, leave the pier before catching a cab...take a radio taxi (they have a sign that says radio taxi on them)...make certain the cab has a meter and the meter is used....if you do not speak Spanish, write down the address and hand it to the driver.....pay in small bills....

Could anyone give me an indication of how much a taxi from the port to Howard Johnson Boutique Recoleta should cost please? Anything to watch out for?

We flew into EZE last February and dodged the whole taxi issue by pre-arranging for transfers with one of the private tour providers recommended on this forum. We were met by a driver and a private car. The drivers were always timely and the vehicles were immaculate. The cost for us was $40 US for the transfer from EZE to the Marriott and $20 US from the Marriott to the cruise terminal. (We also tipped each of the drivers.) We considered it well worth the expense for the peace of mind.

Looks like $20 with this company. They are the ones I used to get from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to the port.

My driver didn't speak much English, but was very friendly and polite. He was not only punctual, he was early both times.

I won't hesitate to make the same arrangements next time. They also provide other serivces.

http://www.privatetours.com.ar/ing/tranfers.htm

Looks like $20 with this company. They are the ones I used to get from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to the port.

My driver didn't speak much English, but was very friendly and polite. He was not only punctual, he was early both times.

I won't hesitate to make the same arrangements next time. They also provide other serivces.

http://www.privatetours.com.ar/ing/tranfers.htm

Yes, Private Tours was the company. They were wonderful. In addition to the transfers, we also asked them to arrange for VIP dinner/show tickets at El Viejo Almacen to see a Tango show. We had a great meal, a great bottle of wine, an even better bottle of champagne, and the best seats in the house. Carlos himself met us in the lobby of our hotel to exchange $$ for the transfer receipts and tickets. Very, very gracious and professional.

If/when we return to Buenos Aires (who knows? I may yet be able to talk DH into that Antarctica Cruise. . . .) I will definitely be arranging my tours/transfers through Carlos at Private Tours.

Archived