Hotel in Buenos Aires?

Gablin

A friend and I will be disembarking the Veendam in Buenos Aires in December. We are planning to stay two nights before flying home.

The Americas Towers hotel appears to be a bargain, but I would like more information from any Cruise Critic members who have stayed there or have seen the neighborhood. If you enjoyed a stay somewhere else in Buenos Aires, I would like to know about that, too.

Sad to admit, but we like high end, American style,hotels, so this was perfect for us....close to port and taxi ride away from most sights,plus they also had rides to airport for reasonable amount....check with TripAdvisor for recent reviews, always helps us...Good luck, you ll love BA...also go the Tango shows or try it yourself in Boca,think thats the neighborhood....if you go to Sheraton, there is a wonderful Italian restuarant right across the street, just ask at desk,,,to die for/////:D

My friends stayed at "Palermo Soho" B & B and loved it. The owner is from the states. We will be there later this year and are going to stay at "Abode" B & B, the owners there are English.

Don't know if you use TripAdvisor.com, but they have tons of reviews of different places written by people who have actually stayed there, not the "official propaganda" reviews written by the hotel. They have hotel, restaurant, etc reviews for all over the world.

That is how I found Abode.

1. The America's Towers is used by a lot of tour companies, so expect tour groups to be coming and going. I have not been in the hotel recently but I understand it has been renovated.

2. The Barrio Norte area is fine on Libertad between Santa Fe and Marcelo T. de Alvear. The location is within easy walking distance of downtown and tony Recoleta. Piazola, located in the same block, offers some of the best pizza in Buenos Aires....on Libertad a few blocks away, one of the oldest Jewish temples in BA and the world famous Teatro Colon (which should be reopened by the time you arrive after being closed for renovations for the past several years). Lots of great restaurants nearby....

America's Towers would not be my first choice in Buenos Aires.... but if the price is cheap enough, you will find the area very convenient.

I agree with others who have suggested you look at Trip Advisor reviews, with the following caveat--discount any review by a poster with one post. Unfortunately, many businesses post fake reviews using aliases. Also, check the forum for Buenos Aires as well as the hotel reviews section. You will find a treasure trove of information.

So where did you book?

We did book two rooms at the Americas Towers. I plan to write a review of the cruise, and I will include my impressions of this hotel as well as the hotels in Santiago and Vina del Mar.

I see yoou've booked already but on both my trips I've stayed at the Hotel Clardige and been happy. I like the location just a half block away from the big Florida shopping street. There is lots to see and many places to eat. I walked back from Recolata after a tour and it wasn't really that far a distance either. Alos only a 5 minute cab ride over to the cruise ship pier.

Good point on the Trip Advisor reviews. I am a DE for my area and we always advise people to discount reviews done by someone with a single post or even 2 posts. They tend to be "it was the best place on earth" or the "worst place on earth" and can't be taken seriously.

Good point on the Trip Advisor reviews. I am a DE for my area and we always advise people to discount reviews done by someone with a single post or even 2 posts. They tend to be "it was the best place on earth" or the "worst place on earth" and can't be taken seriously.

I am a DE for Buenos Aires and we give the same advice...ignore one post wonders...and discount the outliers...especially those at the extremes....the glowing reviews are probably done by management and the awful reviews are probably done by the competition.

What is a DE? (Excuse my ignorance. I've only been on Cruise Critic since last fall.)

Sorry, Gablin for using acronyms without explanation. DE stands for Destination Expert, a term used by Trip Advisor. Designated Experts are selected by TA based on experience with a particular locale and a history of offering TA readers helpful advice.

Somewhat off topic but I want to put my recommendation in for a smaller "boutique" hotel in San Telmo, Hotel Babel. The staff is friendly and very helpful, the breakfast buffet is like a work of art and if your ship is arriving or departing on a Sunday you are literally 2 blocks from the great Sunday Market. Only complaints I had were the unreliable internet service. Others staying the same time we did, complained of street noise especially on Friday and Saturday nights. We had Room 1 iin the back so didn't have that issue.

I am considering the Claridge and the Intercontinental for a 2 night pre-cruise stay in January. Does anyone have any comments or preferences?

We stayed at the Claridge in February and liked it very much. The price was reasonable and the breakfast buffet was very nice. It's certainly not a 5-star hotel, but the location (close to Florida Street shopping) was good for our interests. It's in a busy neighborhood (turn at the paint shop on the corner, pass the Subway shop, and then cross at the Sex shop :rolleyes:), but it was quiet.

A friend and I will be disembarking the Veendam in Buenos Aires in December. We are planning to stay two nights before flying home.

The Americas Towers hotel appears to be a bargain, but I would like more information from any Cruise Critic members who have stayed there or have seen the neighborhood. If you enjoyed a stay somewhere else in Buenos Aires, I would like to know about that, too.

Hi

San Telmho Botique hotel is the best do not look anywhere else

Spotless clean, so cheap, modern and best customer service.

best location at plazza Dorrengo

I am considering the Claridge and the Intercontinental for a 2 night pre-cruise stay in January. Does anyone have any comments or preferences?

well, as you can tell there is no shortage of opinions here. And that is not a bad thing....

However, since you asked specifically about two hotels....

The Claridge is a good-enough hotel smack in the middle of the downtown hustle and bustle....rooms are more on the order of 3 than 5 star...staff is great...and the bar is an historic landmark.

The Intercontinental is also in downtown, in an area that is forlorn at night...take a cab when you go out...more on the order of a four or five star hotel...several airlines put their crews up here....rooms are nicely appointed.

p.s. I agree with a those who suggest looking at boutique hotels outside of the downtown business area for more of a flavor of Buenos Aires. Palermo Soho and San Telmo both offer some very good options, with Palermo Soho the more upscale of the two areas.

Food, incl restaurants, and local transportation, incl taxis, are cheap in Bs As. Hotels prices, on the other hand, tend to be consistent with those in other international cities and as such are relatively expensive. For the budget minded it may be advisable to rent an apt even if it is only for a few days. There ae numerous agents specializing in short term tourist apt rentals and the prices are low compared to even 3 star hotels. Good apts in nice areas like Palermo or Recoleta can be rented for under $100 per night. Check the tripadvisor forum for references.

This past Jan we stayed at the Howard Johnson Boutique Recolleta. Very clean hotel, spacious rooms, good breakfast and extremely courteous staff, all at a reasonable price. Did a review on trip advisor.

Food, incl restaurants, and local transportation, incl taxis, are cheap in Bs As. Hotels prices, on the other hand, tend to be consistent with those in other international cities and as such are relatively expensive. For the budget minded it may be advisable to rent an apt even if it is only for a few days. There ae numerous agents specializing in short term tourist apt rentals and the prices are low compared to even 3 star hotels. Good apts in nice areas like Palermo or Recoleta can be rented for under $100 per night. Check the tripadvisor forum for references.

For a stay of a week or more, I absolutely agree that renting an apartment is a great option. For a couple of nights, I prefer to stay in a hotel. It is simpler to book a hotel and there is less risk involved....Most apartment rentals require an advance deposit or full payment sent via pay pal or Western Union...and to avoid scams requires a good bit of online research to find a reputable agency or owner.

Several good, moderately priced options are listed in this thread--the Hotel Babel in San Telmo, The Trypp, or Howard Johnson's Boutique hotel in Recoleta, for example. And sometimes the overpriced international chain hotels run spectacular sales...so a stay at the Intercontinental, Hilton or Plaza Marriott can sometimes be reasonable as well, depending upon your dates.

Archived