Confused about price drops

sgrissom

Hey Folks,

It's been years since my last cruise and even longer since my last carnival cruise, so I'm almost like a newbie!

Anyway, after a recent move to Florida, DH and I decided to jump on what looked like a great rate for a balcony on Legend out of Tampa on 4/25/10. I booked it on 4/2/10 by calling the main Carnival number.

The Carnival employee told me that it was an early saver rate and that I was entitled to any price drops even though the date for final payment had passed. Several days later I saw a significant drop over what I had paid and again called the main number and asked to be credited for the price drop. The person who I spoke to said that I had been misinformed by the first rep, and that it was impossible to get this credit because I was past the final payment date. Who is right? Should I try again?

Thanks for your help.

It doesn't hurt to try again. Every Rep will tell you something different. It never fails. I had a cabin on hold on a day there was a big price drop. I was able to hold the cabin for 24 hours. Went to reserve it about "18 hours" later and the Rep said that sale is no longer available. After the second call, the next rep gave me that price - like she was supposed.

Are you sure you don't have the pack and go rate? It doesn't sound like an early saver rate since it's a last minute booking.

It didn't make any sense to me, either, but that's what she said. Just looked at my docs and didn't see any reference to any kind of rate one way or the other. Where would it be reflected? Should i try again anyway, or just be happy that I'm cruising at a pretty reasonable rate?

It sounds like the pack and go rate. It can't hurt to try another rep. Are the rates still lower then the rate you got? If so, they may apply an OBC to your account. When you call, don't even mention the pack and go, or early saver - they should have that information when they bring up your booking. Good Luck :)

Just checked the website again and my cabin class (8M) isn't even available anymore! The only balcony cabins available are now WAY more than I'm paying.

Soooo.....I'm just going to shut up and enjoy my good fortune to be cruising again after all these years. And from what I've read, I guess I should thank my luck stars to have scored an aft extended balcony for such a good rate. Do you think that that cabin was available at such a late date because someone else had been upgraded and thus vacated it?

Early saver rates dissapear 3 months out for short cruises, 5 months out for 7 day cruises.

As big duck said, it would be impossible to book a early saver rate only weeks before a cruise left. By definition ...early couldnt mean last minute rates.

The 2nd rep is correct.

Archived