Infinity and Panama - Weather & Port Conditions

MayasWay

We are considering a late October cruise through the Panama Canal on Infinity. I know that we are heading into rainy season in the Central American region we are visiting and I'm wondering how much that will affect the cruise and port visits. We'd be traveling with our parents who have some mobility issues but still get around of their own accord. It will be their first cruise so I'd hate for them to spend their days indoors or under umbrellas. My father wanted to do a full Panama Canal crossing which is what precipitated this particular choice. My mother is interested in experiencing the culture. I know that no one can predict the weather ... but has any one visited during this time period (late Oct -early Nov)? What was your experience? Would it be better to wait until the spring?

I've done Panama Canal cruises in both November and late March to early April, and I would go with the spring cruise rather than fall. It is a bit more temperate and less rainy, imho. The one concern for your parents that I would have would be walking in the port areas in the rain. I have mobility issues and have found that in that area of the world, when it rains all walking areas are terribly slippery. But no matter when you decide to go, it's a fascinating cruise.

I cannot comment on the fall cruises - but I do know that the rainy season starts in May and continues into the fall. We just got off the Infinity the past Sunday for the Ft Lauderdale to San Diego PC cruise. Loved it and the weather was perfect!

anyone know the weather in end of sept, early oct? thats when i'm hoping to go!

Yep, you are going to catch the last part of the rain season, however it is hit & miss on rain whenever you go. We have been to Panama three times (all in January - middle of their "dry" season) and it rained two of those three visits (just light showers). Remember that much of Panama and surrounding areas are in a rain forest. In fact being in, or fed by a rain forest, is what keeps the Canal flowing. No rain forest water, no Panama Canal, just a big ditch.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input. Would it be wise for someone with mobility issues to even get off the ship if it's wet or raining? I've never travelled with my folks and want to make sure we all know what they can expect to do and not do on the cruise.

we are going on the cruise you are considering in late oct. we did a similar trip in early dec. this past year and the weather was great. i don't think there will be much time to sightsee in panama as the transit takes 9 hrs. there is a flea market at the port though. if we do get to take excursions, i highly recommend the embrera indian reservation (probably the most interesting excursion we have ever been on. the weather on the mexican riviera should be excellent.

On our recent PC trip this past November, we didn't dock in Panama at all. I noticed only Eastbound trips docked. The only rain we had was a threat towards the end of the crossing, and sprinkles in Costa Rica as we toured a coffee plantation. It actually turned quite chilly after we left Cabo, heading for San Diego.

Yes we did the cruise 2 years ago - from Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego on the Infinity. The date we sailed was around Oct.20th. It was a great cruise with lots of wonderful people. As for the weather - - boy, was it hot and muggy!!! It was a drizzly day going through the Panama Canal but since you are going through a jungle and rain forest I don't know if it would ever be any better. For me the humidity was the hardest to take.

It is a fascinating cruise and one that I would highly recommend.

Ruthk,

St. Catharines, Ontario.

Until you mentioned it, I didn't notice that we are only in port in Panama for three hours. That's hardly time to do much of anything ... disappointing :(

There is actually time for tours, what happens is the ship will stop at the Gatun Lake anchorage, just before going through Gatun Locks. At the anchorage the ship will tender passengers off that have booked tours. This usually occurs around 1-2pm. The stop at the Cristobal pier is primarily to pick up the touring passengers. There is a nice shopping area at the pier that you can take advantage of while you wait for the touring passengers to return. If past experience is any guide, only passengers who have booked tours through the ship are allowed off at the Gatun Lake anchorage. If you elect to take a tour you will miss locking through Gatun Locks and the 5 mile sail down the channel to the Cristobal pier.

As far as the weather in Panama is concerned, late Oct/early Nov is still the rainy season as mentioned. Dry season doesn't "officially" start until Dec. 21, but the weather is trending towards dry. That's not to say it won't rain on your parade, generally most of the rain will be the shower type and pass on and not be an all day event.

We are considering a late October cruise through the Panama Canal on Infinity. I know that we are heading into rainy season in the Central American region we are visiting and I'm wondering how much that will affect the cruise and port visits. We'd be traveling with our parents who have some mobility issues but still get around of their own accord. It will be their first cruise so I'd hate for them to spend their days indoors or under umbrellas. My father wanted to do a full Panama Canal crossing which is what precipitated this particular choice. My mother is interested in experiencing the culture. I know that no one can predict the weather ... but has any one visited during this time period (late Oct -early Nov)? What was your experience? Would it be better to wait until the spring?

October is the most humid monh in Panama. It is also the start of the rainy season (between October and November). Given those two facts, I would definitely change the plans, if you have that option. You may luck out but all the odds are against you. It simply doesn't make sense to take that chance because weather does have a huge impact on your enjoyment of the cruise.

Hi George, sorry to disagree with you on the start of Dry Season in Panama, the rains usually begin to return towards the end of April. Most of the time the rains return gradually and weather becomes "wetter" as you move into July, August and beyond. The Dry Season officially begins on the Winter Solstice, Dec. 21. As you might expect, the time leading into or out of each season, you can see both extremes of wet or dry. For example in November when Mayasway will actually be in the Canal is not a historically wet month. The normal weather at this time of the year is more on the dry side, that's not to say it can't or won't rain, but you have a better chance of it not raining.

Here is a copy of a post that I responded to on the Panama Canal board about someone trying to decide between early December and March:

"If everything else is equal, (ship and air fares, schedules, prices, etc.) I would choose the Dec. 3 date. Even though the dry season does not start until late December, the weather at that time of the year is usually pretty good. While there is always the possibility for rain, generally the weather is on the dry side. The vegetation should be at it's greenist and lush, while late March is nearing the end of the dry season and sometimes there can be a haze from the grass fires. I am sure if you are coming from a temperate climate you will find the weather warm and humid no matter when you go. The humididty begins to drop off a little in December and the day time highs are in the upper 80s. In March you will find a bit lower humidity but a little higher temps.

All of the differences I have noted are subtle and not huge variations between them, if it's hot, you can usually find some shade a breeze or some air conditioning. One last thing, dry season in Panama does not mean no rain..... just less rain!"

Here's the thread I posted in, my responses are #2 and #5

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24111174#post24111174

I would point out that there really won't be huge differences in weather, humidity, rain and that weather considerations probably should be used for tie breaking between dates when everything else is equal. Of course if it rains the day you are there.... it will be a washout:o! I do know the weather in Panama, I lived there a loooooong time:D.

Panama has seen some reduction in rain in the last few years (reduction for them - we would still think of it as rainy...), to the point of closing some of the locks due to lack of fresh water.

With that said, the rainy season runs from May through November. The dry season runs from December through April.

We are going on a western caribbean cruise in late Nov. and hoping it is late enough;).

There is actually time for tours, what happens is the ship will stop at the Gatun Lake anchorage, just before going through Gatun Locks. At the anchorage the ship will tender passengers off that have booked tours. This usually occurs around 1-2pm. The stop at the Cristobal pier is primarily to pick up the touring passengers. There is a nice shopping area at the pier that you can take advantage of while you wait for the touring passengers to return. If past experience is any guide, only passengers who have booked tours through the ship are allowed off at the Gatun Lake anchorage. If you elect to take a tour you will miss locking through Gatun Locks and the 5 mile sail down the channel to the Cristobal pier.

As far as the weather in Panama is concerned, late Oct/early Nov is still the rainy season as mentioned. Dry season doesn't "officially" start until Dec. 21, but the weather is trending towards dry. That's not to say it won't rain on your parade, generally most of the rain will be the shower type and pass on and not be an all day event.

Hi there! I did the cruise in September/Oct. I do not recommend getting off the ship during the trip through the canal. We took a Gatun Lake Tour and we were not that impressed. It was very similar to the river part of our tour in Costa Rica, although there certainly wasn't as much visible wildlife.

The tour took only a little bit of the time that the ship was going through the canal. We had to wait at the pier for a very long time, and it was very hot and humid! There was no air-conditioning in the waiting area.

As far as the shops go, they are o.k., but quite pricey.

JC:)

Until you mentioned it, I didn't notice that we are only in port in Panama for three hours. That's hardly time to do much of anything ... disappointing :(

Starting with the April 18, 2011 15 N Westbound on Millie, X is switching to a 2-day Panama Canal stay. For example, here is part of the itinerary from this particular cruise.

Fri, Apr 22 Colon, Panama, Docked, Arr 7 am, Dep 6 p.m.

Sat, Apr 23, Panama Canal Cruising, Arr 6 am, Dep 6 pm.

This one-day stop in Colon allows for the full day to take excursions. The next day, you get to cruise the canal without missing a thing.

The other big improvement is the replacement of Huatulco, MX with Puerto Quetzal,Guatamala. Antigua Guatamala Antigua is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Huatulco is a beach resort town.

We had very little rain last October going west to east through the Canal, Seattle to FLL. It was hot!

I recommend staying on the ship going through the Canal if you have not gone through the Canal before. It is amazing.

Archived