All Things Fantasy

NCTribeFan

I'm home, but just don't have the time or energy to write right now.

It was a great cruise, despite the embarkation issues and the fact that we didn't sail until 7 pm.

And the John Heald fans can just have him. Too much like my ex's father. Thinks he's way more clever and witty and charming and amusing than he really is. JMHO.

I live in a townhouse and they installed vinyl siding a few weeks ago. Ever since, the pilot light keeps going out in my water heater. It's an Apollo direct-vent system. They have obviously screwed up something with the venting system. So I have no hot water and can't get the pilot lit (of course, the new one as an "automatic" lighter; you cannot do it manually).

Just what I need when I get home from the cruise. No hot water, it's a holiday weekend, and I start my new job Tuesday morning. Sure would be nice to have a hot shower before then!!

Anyway, maybe I'll write some later, but DD called me while I was driving home and said her and the BF are going to spend the night.

So, no food, no hot water, unexpected company, I'm feeling more motion now than I did all week, and I'm not happy.

But it was a very good cruise. :D

I'm home, but just don't have the time or energy to write right now.

It was a great cruise, despite the embarkation issues and the fact that we didn't sail until 7 pm.

And the John Heald fans can just have him. Too much like my ex's father. Thinks he's way more clever and witty and charming and amusing than he really is. JMHO.

I live in a townhouse and they installed vinyl siding a few weeks ago. Ever since, the pilot light keeps going out in my water heater. It's an Apollo direct-vent system. They have obviously screwed up something with the venting system. So I have no hot water and can't get the pilot lit (of course, the new one as an "automatic" lighter; you cannot do it manually).

Just what I need when I get home from the cruise. No hot water, it's a holiday weekend, and I start my new job Tuesday morning. Sure would be nice to have a hot shower before then!!

Anyway, maybe I'll write some later, but DD called me while I was driving home and said her and the BF are going to spend the night.

So, no food, no hot water, unexpected company, I'm feeling more motion now than I did all week, and I'm not happy.

But it was a very good cruise. :D

AW NCTribeFan - Hope that things get better for you. At least the cruise was good. And maybe a little company will get your mind off of the other things.

Managed to get the pilot light lit last night but it was out again this morning. So annoying.

And DD & BF didn't stay. There's been a stray cat hanging around that I had been feeding and they wanted to rescue him and take him home (I can't have a cat due to allergies). He showed up so they just packed up and headed back at around 11 pm.

Anyway, feeling better today (rocking more now than when I was on the ship), so I'll try to start on my review. I take a LONG time (write it in Word first, then paste the day-by-day in the review and add photos).

I had some problems with my camera, and some of what were supposed to be pictures somehow ended up being nanosecond videos, so I'm not going to be able to post those. No idea what I was doing to screw those up. :(

Hopefully, I'll get it done today, since I won't have quite so much free time beginning tomorrow.

And just in case I haven't mentioned it a million times already, for those of you who have never been there, do try to book an itinerary that goes to Half Moon Cay. It is just the most beautiful place ever.

I would like to take some sodas onboard. I have heard of people putting luggage tags on them and just dropping them with their luggage. Has anyone tried that? If so, did it work? I figure that since we are driving to the port that this would be the cruise to try it.

Carnival changed their policy - you can't check in the soda, you have to carry it on and it is now limited to 12 cans / 12 bottles of water or soda per person.

We've sailed many times with Carnival and have always just put our water/soda/wine etc. in our carry-on's and wheeled them onto the ship...this works for us but we usually don't bring more than a six pack of soda, for dh and water for us both.

I also sometimes bring on some low sodium V-8..then we can make our our BM's with the vodka we order from ships services:) It hurts now that we can only bring on one bottle of wine per person..but Carnival's prices on wine are not bad..much better than Hal's..but then Hal allows you to bring as much wine as you want:D

About a month prior to our cruise I just order the wine/vodka/whiskey and it's in our cabin when we board....just soooo much easier.

Have uploaded my pics to Webshots, but haven't labeled them all. It all takes so long!

Have my pre-cruise day and embarkation day written and am going to start the review thread now.

Yes, there were dozens of threads about carry-on beverages (both alcoholic and non) recently, so plenty of info about CURRENT policies out there. I don't smuggle and am not a water snob, and I don't drink sodas often, so I'm not much help.

Will post the link to my review shortly.

Carnival changed their policy - you can't check in the soda, you have to carry it on and it is now limited to 12 cans / 12 bottles of water or soda per person.

Sure you can. Checked two 12 packs of soda, 6 water bottles and 8 juice boxes on our latest fantasy cruise (5/23). Your paperwork states that wine must be carry on, and soda/water is limited to a "reasonable amount".

Also had no problem with the other "mixers" in our checked bags ;-)

Edited by InSouthPark

Great pictures NCSUprincess..and NCTribe..loved yours ago..can you tell me where you were when you were upstairs in Nassau? Years and years ago we found a bar upstairs from somewhere..you could look out at the ships..but now sure if it's still there.

Managed to get the pilot light lit last night but it was out again this morning. So annoying.

And DD & BF didn't stay. There's been a stray cat hanging around that I had been feeding and they wanted to rescue him and take him home (I can't have a cat due to allergies). He showed up so they just packed up and headed back at around 11 pm.

Anyway, feeling better today (rocking more now than when I was on the ship), so I'll try to start on my review. I take a LONG time (write it in Word first, then paste the day-by-day in the review and add photos).

I had some problems with my camera, and some of what were supposed to be pictures somehow ended up being nanosecond videos, so I'm not going to be able to post those. No idea what I was doing to screw those up. :(

Hopefully, I'll get it done today, since I won't have quite so much free time beginning tomorrow.

And just in case I haven't mentioned it a million times already, for those of you who have never been there, do try to book an itinerary that goes to Half Moon Cay. It is just the most beautiful place ever.

So glad to see you doing better today. Started reading your review and can't wait to hear the rest.

bummer...but I can live with that! Thanks for the info...

bummer...but I can live with that! Thanks for the info...

Please read my post above. That was not true on the 5/23 sailing. Read your paperwork though. Ours clearly stated wine in carry on but does not state that for soda/water. And as I posted, checked two 12 packs/6 waters and juicebox with no problems.

But the issue is that Carnival - in general - IS cracking down on hauling on cases of beverages of any sort.

There have been many, many threads about it recently. Just because they don't "catch" everyone doesn't mean they won't in the future. A 12-pack per person is what they've specified. Your list doesn't look like it exceeded that, so there shouldn't have been any problem. They're looking for excessive quanities. And with the whole Charleston thing being so new, and so slow at checkin, maybe they aren't being as diligent as they are at some of the other ports.

I personally don't bring water or soda (ok, I brought a bottle of Ginger Ale and drank 1/4 of it; and I brought 4 mini-cans of Pepsi and drank 2). Just can't be bothered and prefer to use my luggage space for clothing! I wish I hadn't brought any of it.

I've posted my review. Will go find the link and add it here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1210460

I took that photo from the little balcony outside the Starbucks. I like sitting up there and just watching the world go by.

Here's the link to my photo album. I had camera issues and lots of them didn't turn out. Of course, I've been to all the ports multiple times, so didn't take all that many, but I bet only about 2/3 of my pics were good. :o

http://travel.webshots.com/album/577826608fYseFf

But the issue is that Carnival - in general - IS cracking down on hauling on cases of beverages of any sort.

There have been many, many threads about it recently. Just because they don't "catch" everyone doesn't mean they won't in the future. A 12-pack per person is what they've specified. Your list doesn't look like it exceeded that, so there shouldn't have been any problem. They're looking for excessive quanities. And with the whole Charleston thing being so new, and so slow at checkin, maybe they aren't being as diligent as they are at some of the other ports.

What I was talking about is the "checking vs carry on" for the soda/water. People are stating that you can't check your soda/water anymore and that you have to carry it on and at least for our sailing, that is not true. You can still check your soda/water in your luggage and the paperwork also says that is true, contrary to Carnival FAQ's.

Edited by InSouthPark

Ah, well, maybe that's true at this point. I just can't see lugging that stuff around when there's a chance it will get confiscated anyway! Buy a soda card and drink the ship's water. It won't kill anyone for a week, even if it isn't the best-tasting stuff out there.

Bruce - thanks for the kind words. But, yes, I'm old. :p

I mentioned this in my review, and I don't know how reliable the source is...

I had mentioned upthread that I imagined Fantasy would get the balcony additions at some point, but now I'm not so sure. This person told me that she was going to be sold/retired in 2012.

So, now I'm speculating that when the new terminal is built, that they will bring in a larger ship and Fantasy will be sold off.

She is the oldest in the fleet now, but looked to be in great condition, considering her age.

NC - thanks you so much for posting the pics....

I have some freinds that are going on the June 11 th cruise with us for the first time... and would love to show them the layout of the food area pic. Could I steal that one from you - to show them?

Also - do they do the captain's show thing anymore - with the free drinks?

Thanks!

Btw - thank you for posting the going into the terminal picture. Now I know EXACTLY where to go... I have seen that partial building front forever in Charleston. It's against the law for them to tear it down. ;)

Edited by puppydogeyessc1973

I had mentioned upthread that I imagined Fantasy would get the balcony additions at some point, but now I'm not so sure. This person told me that she was going to be sold/retired in 2012.

So, now I'm speculating that when the new terminal is built, that they will bring in a larger ship and Fantasy will be sold off.

She is the oldest in the fleet now, but looked to be in great condition, considering her age.

Based on the age of Holiday and Celebration when they left the fleet, I'd guess that Carnival plans on Fantasy being in the fleet for at least 5 more years. Besides, they have invested too much money in upgrades recently to kick Fantasy to the curb this soon. Also 5 years works out pretty well historically with how long Carnival uses their older ships in a developing port. My guess would be that Charleston can look to have Fantasy, or another Fantasy class ship for at least 4-5 years before Carnival begins thinking about a larger ship. Funny how Fantasy has been in Charleston two weeks, and already the upgrade rumors are swirling. :)

Based on the age of Holiday and Celebration when they left the fleet, I'd guess that Carnival plans on Fantasy being in the fleet for at least 5 more years. Besides, they have invested too much money in upgrades recently to kick Fantasy to the curb this soon. Also 5 years works out pretty well historically with how long Carnival uses their older ships in a developing port. My guess would be that Charleston can look to have Fantasy, or another Fantasy class ship for at least 4-5 years before Carnival begins thinking about a larger ship. Funny how Fantasy has been in Charleston two weeks, and already the upgrade rumors are swirling. :)

Well when we docked in Nassau last week next to another fantasy class ship, you could see that that ship had been outfitted with the new balconies Aft and you can't help think that would be logical for a ship being moved to a new home port. I can't imagine the cost being "that" high for welding on some sheetmetal and cutting a door! I know I would have booked a balcony room as we sometimes got "stuck" in our room when our daughter passed out from playing at camp! Having a balcony sure would have been nice!

I also can't imagine Carnival spending the money to dry dock her in Nov 2010 and then take her out commision again in 2012 unless it is some sort of mechinical matainence that has to be done in dry dock.

Edited by InSouthPark

• 2 weeks later...

I too wish they would put balconies on her. The suites are way too expensive to just be about the same size as a regular balcony room.

Love this thread! Sixty some odd days and I'm on the Fantasy!!