Just wondering and needed a little advice from the people in the know

Ok here goes, looking into cruises for next August 2011. There are two cruises I'm interested in the first is on RCI and is around the med(on indy), which we did last year but weather was great (I'm a sun bunny). The second is on Celebrity (on eclipse) and is going to countries like Belgium, Germany, Finland, Russia, Estonia, Sweden and Denmark. I just wondered what the weather would be like at that time of year? I'd love to see those countries but dont want to go under a rain cloud, especially for my summer holiday. If any one has any info I would be very pleased to hear from you as we are thinking of booking on monday. Many thanks in advance xxxx:D

Excellent question! We have been on more then 15 cruises in the Med, but only a single cruise to the Baltic (will be there again next month). As you already know, the Med weather is usually wonderful (for us sun lovers) in the summer months. As the Baltic, we think the weather is close to our New England weather. If you are lucky you might get warm sunny days. On the other hand, when we visited (it was in July a few years ago) we had horrendous weather and recall being in Helsinki when it was cold (about 50) and rainy. We did finally get perfect weather in St Petersburg, but most of the cruise was nasty. The bottom line is that the odds favor the Med for good weather.

Hank

Last year Indy's Med turnaround port was Southampton, no?

In which case you'll know what UK weather is like and the Baltic is very broadly similar.

Med weather is not totally but pretty-well guaranteed all summer.

Baltic's weather that time of year, like the UK, is much more unreliable, but you are more likely to experience good rather than bad, and it's certainly best time of year for that cruise.

If the sun is your main reason for cruising, stick to the Med, but how about a different itinerary- there's dozens, including other RCI.

The reason for cruising the Baltic is the ports of call. Plain & simple. And they are fascinating.

John Bull

Thanks guys for all your advice, I'm from the UK so I have a good understanding of the weather now. I really do want some sun, we have two holidays a year because thats when we can have time off at the moment (Christmas for a few days and August for two weeks). So if the weather isn't that great here in the uk really want some vitmain D somewhere else. May leave the Baltic cruise until we can go away at another time of year eg June. Would really love to see some different sights though. Love going from southampton as its so easy and no luggage restrictions, it makes packing so much more fun. Thanks again xxx

Archived