first timers HELP!!

m6b3g2pl

:confused:My husband and I are travelling on Azamara Journey on June 6, 2010. How do we find people who may be interested in touring with 4-6 others instead of a busload? What is the definitive answer to bringing alcohol i.e vodka onboard and how can we obtain the new brochure? Any other tips about ANYTHING would be appreciated. Is anyone interested in a private tour of Berlin and staying overnight?

I could go on and on but hope this is a good beginning.

Thanks in advance

Traveling on a ship excursion provides a safety net. If anything happens, the host on the excursion contacts the ship. This is nice especially if you cannot get back before the ship is scheduled to sail. If you do head out on your own ( and I have many times), take your passport and credit card. If you miss the ship, you may have to get yourself to the next port. Also, have a cellphone and know the phone # of the local agent for the cruise line. I haven't missed the boat, but I know many people who have missed the boat.

In Europe, strikes happen often. A group got delayed from a railroad strike. A group got delayed when a group of farmers blocked the highway. Stuff happens. Be prepared. In Russia, take the ship's excursion...it's too risky to go out on your own.

Everything Redtravel says is accurate; however, my wife and I are do-it-yourselfers, and in 30+ cruises we've only taken the ship's tours in St Petersburg because it was too much of hassle at the time we went to do it otherwise.

Some precautions I follow:

1. Leave the ship early and go to the farthest place you want to see first, and then work your way back.

2. Leave PLENTY of time to reboard the ship, AND it probably makes a difference what your next port is. If it's easy to get to, great, but if you're looking at a bunch of sea days, or long distances, after your current port, we make it a point to be back even earlier. Example: Next month we're taking an extensive all day private tour in Benin, but if we were somehow to miss the ship, the next port of call is only 200 road miles away in Togo. However, we're going to the farthest places first, and touring the port city at the end.

3. I'd be careful going especially long distances on your own, especially if the time doesn't really allow you to see much at your destination.

4. We rent a car whenever we can, but when going with a local person, we make sure he or she is recommended on one or more travel forums. Posters on Cruise Critic have been very helpful on giving recommendations. You can often find these on the Ports of Call sections.

As to the vodka, I wouldn't have any problem putting a bottle in my checked luggage, but it would have to be one of those plastic bottles in case of breakage. We have brought wine on board from time to time and never had a problem, but we also drop plenty of money on wine at dinner (at least on other cruise lines and before the new Azamara inclusions).

Take these suggestions as just one person's point of view.

Ciao,

Bruce

Archived