San Pedro

Luanne21

I need help. If you were traveling on Princess in Feb of next year out of San Pedro, and you had Holiday Inn points for a free hotel, which one would you choose?

I want safe, comfortable neighborhood.

Thank you so much for your help.

Luanne

I need help. If you were traveling on Princess in Feb of next year out of San Pedro, and you had Holiday Inn points for a free hotel, which one would you choose?

I want safe, comfortable neighborhood.

Thank you so much for your help.

Luanne

I'd Priceline the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree and save my Holiday Inn points for another time or city. The Holiday Inn (now Clarion) in San Pedro is not that great. The hotel itself is nice but the area is not very appealing. If you just plan on spending the night it"s OK but if you need to get around town I wouldn't recommend.

Luanne,

I believe the Crowne Plaza IS a Holiday Inn product...If you can get it with your points, the discussion begins and ends right there...

Obviously, the former Holiday Inn in San Pedro, not that I'd stay there anyway, doesn't help you since it's no longer a Holiday Inn...

"Between" LAX and San Pedro:

Let's rule the one at the intersection of the 405 and 110 out right off...at least if you're stuck there for any time...sort of an industrial area...it's really there to serve people doing business with all the companies in the area...Other than that, it's "okay" as long as you're just speding the night...

There's another Crowne Plaza in Redondo Beach--which is a nice area and roughly between LAX and San Pedro...

But, here's the real key if you choose to stay in Torrance OR Redondo: You either need a rental car...or you are going to have to spring for two shuttle or taxi rides, likely spending double on transportation...

So, if you are using the points to save money, save the points and, as Wineaux suggested, just Priceline San Pedro nd 3.5 stars...

The Crowne Plaza is definitely a member of member of the Intercontinental group of hotels which includes Holiday Inn. However, as suggested above, I would try bidding it on Priceline...it should be available for a a number that is somewhere between $65 and $100 before I used my points. It is great hotel, excellent service and a free shuttle to the pierand shops a restaurants within 5 miles of the hotel.

I would priceline Long Beach ; on the day of the cruise, you can take the Bus CE142 to get to San Pedro

http://ladottransit.com/comexp/routes/142/ce142.pdf

http://www.walktomycruiseship.com/longbeach.htm

http://www.walktomycruiseship.com/

I certainly wouldn't do that!!!

Why on earth would you subject yourself to schlepping your luggage onto a public bus and adding unecessary time and hassle just to save yourself a few dollars?

Stay in Long Beach only if you have some time to spend and want to spend it in Long Beach (Aquarium of the Pacific, Queen Mary)...and then take a taxi or shuttle to the ship--not a public bus!!

For a quick, one-night overnight? Keep it simple...stay in San Pedro...

We are staying at the Hyatt in LB early next month...got it on Priceline for $60. Just couldn't get the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro for anything close to the usual $65 but after we pay the $25 for the cab...I think we would be just as far ahead to stay at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro.:o

Maybe I should have mentionned that I only carried a backpack and my wife had a carry-on at the time (carried 4 days of clothing for a 7 day cruise and took advantage of the lavanderia in Puerto Vallarta's port).

While we did like this bus, I may also mention that we still have a walk at the end to go from Port O'Call to the cruise port. Nice walk under a nice sun (I believe that it is possible to take the trolley instead of walking).

The walk was nice but the face of the port employee seeing us coming on foot was priceless :

Her: Are you going to the port? What are you doing here?

Us: We are passengers on the cruise ship.

Her: (surprized face) Ok, go ahead

If you have more than one piece of luggage per passenger, your experience may be less pleasant than ours.

Maybe I should have mentionned that I only carried a backpack and my wife had a carry-on at the time (carried 4 days of clothing for a 7 day cruise and took advantage of the lavanderia in Puerto Vallarta's port).

While we did like this bus, I may also mention that we still have a walk at the end to go from Port O'Call to the cruise port. Nice walk under a nice sun (I believe that it is possible to take the trolley instead of walking).

The walk was nice but the face of the port employee seeing us coming on foot was priceless :

Her: Are you going to the port? What are you doing here?

Us: We are passengers on the cruise ship.

Her: (surprized face) Ok, go ahead

If you have more than one piece of luggage per passenger, your experience may be less pleasant than ours.

A big advantage to going on Princess or Carnival: self-service laundries.

Speaking of Laundry rooms. We will be on the Sapphire on a 14 day cruise. I need the Laundry room.:eek:

Does anyone know what their locations are on this ship?

I have the Carnival ones, but not Princess.

Thanks

Speaking of Laundry rooms. We will be on the Sapphire on a 14 day cruise. I need the Laundry room.:eek:

Thanks

There is at least one on each cabin deck except the Lido deck.

since you are using holiday inn points, maybe the crowne plaza in redondo beach?

We had originally booked this hotel for our trip upcoming, it seems like a pretty nice hotel in a good area, it's right across the street from the marina and is about a block from the redondo beach pier, they have shops and restaurants there, and the beach is right on the other side of the pier.

We changed our minds and ended up rebooking in marina del rey, because we wanted to tour hollywood, la venice and santa monica, and we don't have a car, so we are staying closer to the touristy stuff.

I did go ahead and book our room, with points, but it is such a long time from now, and cancelling is very easy, in case something comes up.

I do want to thank everyone for your help. I feel like I know more about SP than I ever wanted to know.:)

Thanks

when you get onboard, you'll get a little diagram that will show you where everything is. As Putterdude states, there is a laundry room on each deck that has cabins on it. I can't remember from our cruise on the Sapphire in 2004, but each one is either aft or forward. You can use any of them, so the machines are tied up in the room closest to you, you can see if another room has a free machine.

Archived