Pompeii vs. Herculaneum?

bellagirl

Having already toured Pompeii with much enthusiasm, would I be repeating myself if I were to tour Herculaneum as well or are they totally different? If they are different,could you explain how and why? Is the Naples Arch. Museum worth a visit as well? What's the min. amount of time you would want to spend at Herc. and the museum?

Thanks to all who respond:) Shelly

Pompeii, as I'm sure you know, is vast. It is the remains of a working, thriving Roman city destroyed by ash when Vesuvius erupted.

Herculaneum is a smaller site and was more of an "upper class resort" if you will, for wealthy Romans who wanted a villa by the sea. Also, less of Herculaneum has been excavated, so it is considerably smaller than Pompeii.

IMO, it is the "scope" of Pompeii that is its most outstanding point. Pompeii does have a few houses with relatively well-preserved frescoes; Herculaneum has more of this sort of finer detail.

Yes, there would be some overlap, but I think it is well worth seeing both.

Also -- the National Archaeological Museum would be a must-see, as all of the best finds from Pompeii, Herculaneum, and other nearby sites can be seen there. Including my favorite mosaic of all time, from the House of the Faun in Pompeii, depicting the battle between Alexander the Great and Darius, the King of Persia:

http://www.unisa.ac.za/contents/faculties/humanities/classical/images/15.jpg

As well as some outstanding pieces all the way from Rome, such as the amazing sculpture grouping known as the "Farnese Bull":

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ancientrome.ru/art/artwork/sculp/mythology/gr/dirce/dir001.jpg&imgrefurl=http://ancientrome.ru/art/artworke/img.htm%3Fid%3D1327&h=850&w=683&sz=158&tbnid=txhBR2FSGQePCM:&tbnh=145&tbnw=117&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfarnese%2Bbull&hl=en&usg=__Rgo7vy2hk6LObBWSOhyjF4XMy8M=&ei=nl3LS5CdMJPq9gTAu5XABA&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=3&ct=image&ved=0CAoQ9QEwAg

Cynthia-Why am I not surprised that you were the first to answer:D Would a 2 hr. tour do Herculaneum justice? We spent that amount of time at Pompeii and I felt that we had just scratched the surface! Shelly:)

Guess I've been pegged! :o

Yes, I think 2 hours is a decent amount of time to spend in Herculaneum. As always, one could spend days in these places, but unlike Pompeii I think you'll feel that you more than scratched the surface with that amount of time.

I'd budget at least 2 hours (preferably 3) for the museum as well. If you are interested, you also shouldn't miss the "Secret chamber" (Gabinetto Segreto) of erotic art from Pompeii. My mom (now 77 remembers "back in the day" when women weren't allowed to see it unless accompanied by a male family member. :D

We will be docking in Naples in July. I broke my ankle in 3 places 5 weeks ago. I have screws and a plate in it. I should be out of my walking boot about 6 weeks before we get there, but I don't know how strong my ankle will be. It will probably still be swelling a lot when I walk. Do you think it would be a whole lot easier to go to Herculaneum than Pompeii or not that much difference? Maybe I should just go to the museum. I would appreciate some opinions. BTW, I am 47 and in good health otherwise.

Debbie

Pretty steep hill walking from the train station to the main entrance at Herculaneum (several blocks). Also a long ramp down to the site itself from the gate. There may have been a bench or two to rest along the way or perhaps I just rested a bit against a resident yard's wall. You could take a taxi for the short ride from the train station. One thing I liked about Herculaneum is that you can clearly see that it is excavated as current ground level, and the surrounding city is so much higher. You can see how it was first buried by the volcano and then by the ensuing years. The lower entrance into the the excavated site was at sea level now far below.

I don't think I'd do it while recovering from a broken (ouch!) ankle that is still weak and swelling. In many museums / galleries there are occasionaly benches for a rest or to take in the room so that may be a better choice. Unfortunately we did not have the time to visit the museum in Naples so don't know for certain there.

Debbie-I'm sure others will chime in too,but the entrance to Pompeii is one heck of a steep incline and esp. when it's raining,it could prove very dangerous. Once you're "in",you then have to beware of where you put your feet because of the tire ruts that have been ground in for centuries.

I can't speak for Herculaneum,but maybe your safest bet is to simply go to the museum and stay on the flat surface. You wouldn't want to do further damage!! Take good care! :)Shelly

Debbie,

If you catch the local bus to Herculaneum, it drops you right outside the door. You get tickets at the news stand across the road outside the port. He will tell you where to catch the bus and what number bus. Ask the driver to tell you when you reach Ecolano Scavi. You get the bus back accross the road from where it drops you. Easy and cheap and you will only have the path down into the ruins to negotiate, you should manage that easilly.

I just wanted to know where the bus stop is in relation to the cruise terminal. Is it within walking distance? Do you have a link to a map?

Thanks

Debbie,

If you catch the local bus to Herculaneum, it drops you right outside the door. You get tickets at the news stand across the road outside the port. He will tell you where to catch the bus and what number bus. Ask the driver to tell you when you reach Ecolano Scavi. You get the bus back accross the road from where it drops you. Easy and cheap and you will only have the path down into the ruins to negotiate, you should manage that easilly.

If you go to google, then maps and then search 'naples Perseveranza S P A Di Navigazione' zoom in a little. The news stand is the little building with the red roof, the bus stop is in the middle of the road outside the news stand and the terminal is accross the car park. If you take the little orange man (street view) and put him on the road outside the news stand, you can look around and see the bus stop, news stand and the cruise terminal.

Oh dear I hope your ok, I tore a tendon in my ankle so I can sympathise .I did manage Herculaneum but to be honest its a tough walk down and even harder walking up, you might be ok your alot younger than me but it was also months after I did it. ..:D

Ive also been to Pompeii and like the others have said I wouldnt attempt it.

crewmom24, Pompeii is pretty rough under foot, but many other places on a Med Cruise might be cobbled. I would really recommend 1 (or may be 2) walking poles. We started using them when we went to Peru a few years ago and they have been a great help ever since (I have a weak knee), they are light and fold down when not in use and realy help if one foot slips avoiding putting all the weight on the other leg, they also double up as a mono pod for your camera.

Archived