Le Havre to Normandy?

RT1100

Has anyone information re getting to Normandy from Le Havre. With only a 9 hour window I'm sure it narrows our options but I would love to see the Canadian musem and beaches. From the Crown Princess, June 21. Thanks.

Well you have three choices. 1. Book an excursion to Normandy offered by your ship. 2. Book a private tour on-line with a local tour company/guide. and 3. Rent a car and drive yourself. Private tours are very expensive so you might want to look at the "Roll Call" thread for your particular cruise and see if anyone is putting together a small group (this reduces the cost significantly). Renting a car will generally cost you about $130 for the day, and this assumes you are comfortable in a small car with a stick shift.

Hank

but the good news is that the Canadian Beaches are clsoer than the American ones! Though not as dramatic. The Brits and Canadians drew a different sort of problem area which Montgomery dealt with very efficiently.

Has anyone information re getting to Normandy from Le Havre. With only a 9 hour window I'm sure it narrows our options but I would love to see the Canadian musem and beaches. From the Crown Princess, June 21. Thanks.

Hank has neatly summed-up your transport options.

Your window will end up closer to 8 hrs but that's enough to take in the Brit & Commonwealth sights from Pegasus Bridge / museum to the Mulberry harbour / museum at Arromanches, each well worth an hour, plus other sights & cemeteries between, though as inferred by Moyaroo the beaches themselves are a disappointment.

You'll probably also have time to go a little further to visit the American cemetery overlooking Omaha, or beyond to the cratered cliffs & fortifications at Pointe du Hoc which is about 35 mins past Arromanches.

It's about 90 mins back to the ship from Arromanches, 1hr 45 back from Pte du H, but give yourself an extra hour for delays - if you don't have to eat into that time you can drop into the attractive tourist/fishing harbour of Honfleur, about 30 mins from your ship.

John Bull

Archived