Shame on you Adam Goldstein-CEO RCI

But I admit I don´t know what was planned for the TA´s and press and where they would have sailed or if they had sailed at all.

No, they cancelled it for those reps who were going to attend. They're still having the launch party though, but not the intro cruise.

Congrats on 10k btw!

No, they cancelled it for those reps who were going to attend. They're still having the launch party though, but not the intro cruise.

Congrats on 10k btw!

:eek: Thanks, I hadn´t even noticed, looks like I´m a chatty one;)

So depending on the amount of cruising they planned for the TA´s some of the fuel might have been budgeted for already, but I´d think there was still some extra expense to do the "rescue sail".

And it seems equally odd to me that more PASSENGERS don't have 'emergency stand-by' plans in THEIR systems.

Example: People have mentioned folks being left on the dock in Dubai who had no money for a hotel. I do feel sorry for them, but seriously....you are going to travel out of the country on a trip that ends in a country other than your own and not think for one second that SOMETHING unexpected MIGHT happen and maybe, just maybe, you should have a contingency plan?? Extra cash and/or available balance on a credit card. Others have mentioned people stranded without vital medicine. Again, have an emergency stand by plan, i.e. EXTRA meds, just in case. A cell phone with charger. The name/number of some hotels in your debarkation city (if it's not your home city/country) just in case the ship is late getting back into port or there is some other reason (volcanic ash!) that you cannot immediately return home.

I´m with you on this one. It´s been my thought many times on other topics as well, like when people talk about any extra expenses to avoid as it might break their bank:eek:.

Interesting isn't it? Yes, we always have extra meds handy when we travel - don't have a list of hotels though!! Our finances are ALWAYS in order in case of emergency.

As for RCCL making arrangements in each port, if it were in the US, I suppose its easier to get staff to ports to make these arrangements.

However, the staffing levels in Europe are very, very much lower. There are port agents however. Anyone know if this would be part of their job? Unfortunately, there are probably up to 10 ports they are using in Europe alone (anyone like to count?) - and the staff on board would be fully occupied with passengers boarding the ships - and I think the large check-in staff at each port are only temps for that particular job.

I was once stuck, also with an elderly lady, at Newark airport in the US, due to fog. No-one at all to help and no-one wanted to know although we were 'international'. (Thousands sleeping at the airport). We were 'rescued' by a sympathetic taxi driver who drove us to a hotel where he knew the Manager and he gave us a room.

Unfortunately, this is travel today. When something goes wrong, many thousands are affected - we all travel so much nowadays.

We are in Spain seeing all the misery first hand. For those losing their holidays, I do commiserate. But its nothing to the problems of those families and elderly people stuck in a foreign country.

Its not the cruiselines responsibility if air is booked separately. In this case, had I booked the whole package, I would not have debarked unless I was assured that arrangements had been made for accommodation on shore.

It all has far reaching consequences. Here in Spain, the hoteliers etc. are very concerned as tourists are not able to reach the hotels and this is the beginning of the season and things are extremely bad here already. In Estepona, there is 60% unemployment. Hotels are closing down willy-nilly. Hotel staff are demonstrating because they have not been paid for months.

Making exceptions for frequent cruisers? Platinum, or Diamond or Plus? Can't be done - where would the line be drawn?

Of course, in the UK I fully expect the Insurers to exclude volcanoes. Unfortunately, when we travel, we all take a chance on everything going according to plan. Doesn't always happen.

For those who expect it all to be perfect each time, I suggest you holiday in the UK. Things will still go wrong (leaves on the line?) but its easier to get home.

I really don't care how much, if anything, it cost Celebrity. They brought back 2,000 people - that's what matters. If they received excellent publicity, good for them!!

Interesting isn't it? Yes, we always have extra meds handy when we travel - don't have a list of hotels though!! Our finances are ALWAYS in order in case of emergency.

I fully agree, it seems strange and amd to be honest stupid to me having a -like a poster said- life threatening condition and not have a supply of vital medication. I mean come on you always have such vital stuff in a quantity to cover delays.

I don´t have a list of Hotels either, but c´mon regardless of of a Tour operator/cruiseline or whatever being responsible, if they don´t follow their obligations I´m not sitting on a pier moaning, I´m getting a cab to the tourist information and get started on my own actions - including collecting receipts for my later claim against whoever should have done this.

As for RCCL making arrangements in each port, if it were in the US, I suppose its easier to get staff to ports to make these arrangements.

However, the staffing levels in Europe are very, very much lower. There are port agents however. Anyone know if this would be part of their job? Unfortunately, there are probably up to 10 ports they are using in Europe alone (anyone like to count?) - and the staff on board would be fully occupied with passengers boarding the ships - and I think the large check-in staff at each port are only temps for that particular job.

Agreed again and in some case we are not talking about Europe here, but Dubai. To my knowledge the check-in staff is only temps and often not even employees of the cruiseline. They just switch nametags depending on who they work for that day. They have no power or ability to organize anything.

Its not the cruiselines responsibility if air is booked separately. In this case, had I booked the whole package, I would not have debarked unless I was assured that arrangements had been made for accommodation on shore.

This was the talk on my 2001 cruise when 9/11 stroke. People wanted to just stay onboard. Believe me they were very firm about letting you know you would be getting off and to not even try to make a stink about getting off:eek:

I really don't care how much, if anything, it cost Celebrity. They brought back 2,000 people - that's what matters. If they received excellent publicity, good for them!!

Agreed again.

I paid £564 insurance for a week as I had my elderly Mother with me (what a waste of money that was!).

Excuse me but am I reading this right - you paid £564 for one week's travel insurance .........:eek:. 2 week's cover for my 85 yr old mother costs £69.88 for her upcoming cruise.

If you booked the package through RCI, as it has been said a million times before, in Europe it is the AIRLINE'S responsibility to provide hotels, food, telephone access etc under EU directive #261

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8621779.stm

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Excuse me but am I reading this right - you paid £564 for one week's travel insurance .........:eek:. 2 week's cover for my 85 yr old mother costs £69.88 for her upcoming cruise.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

This thought occurred to me too. I had thought of telling him to use InTune for insurance. Calling Age Concern or Help The Aged would put him in touch. Just wasn't sure I was allowed to mention them on here :D

564 pounds sounds rather excessive.

[quote name=

This was the talk on my 2001 cruise when 9/11 stroke. People wanted to just stay onboard. Believe me they were very firm about letting you know you would be getting off and to not even try to make a stink about getting off:eek:

QUOTE]

Well, they could hardly put their hands on you without claims of assault. As for us, I would just have sat tight - two little old ladies!!! They would HAVE to do something.

However, what about the Port Agent? No responsibility there? I know if you are left behind, you have to contact him.

I don´t have a list of Hotels either, but c´mon regardless of of a Tour operator/cruiseline or whatever being responsible, if they don´t follow their obligations I´m not sitting on a pier moaning, I´m getting a cab

quote]

Just a note here....I'm the one who amongst other things, made the suggestion of having some hotel names with you. Admittedly, like you, I have not ever done that myself. HOWEVER, if I was taking a cruise out of Dubai for instance, you bet I would. Not only is the language different, the entire alphabet is different, cultural norms are entirely different, etc. So in a case like that I would do more than I usually do, and that would include having hotel names, checking with AT&T ahead of time to ensure my phone would work over there, and having a converter/adapter that would work with whatever type of electrical system they have. Just in case. :)

So that is not the same as what the hotels do when the Super Bowl comes to town??

For the Super Bowl customers can DECIDE if they want to pay the high prices for the hotels. They can either stay home or travel. In the case of a Natural Disaster people don't get to make a choice on what to do. They are basically left on the street or forced to pay. And most of the time those same people are already wiped out. That is price gouging making a profit from a disaster. Which is a little different from making a profit from a game.

Price gouging may be charged when a supplier of essential goods or services sharply raises the prices asked in anticipation of or during a civil emergency.

What's the big deal? Your travel insurance will cover it....that's what it's for.

If you want to be reimbursed when you have to cancel a cruise...there is a procedure for that. Just buy travel insurance like everyone else that wants to be reimbursed.

Blaming others for your poor planning is not healthy. Don't blame Adam Goldstein for a volcano.

Of course one cannot blame Adam Goldstein for a volcano eruption.

But one can and should blame Adam Goldstein for the way RCCL "handled" air/sea passengers whose trips were purchased in the EU.

1. RCCL offered a refund of air and future cruise credit for passengers who had not departed yet and couldn't get to the ship. It is against EU travel protection laws to offer a future cruise certificate in this case -- a full, cash refund must be offered.

2. RCCL did not take primary responsibility for passengers who purchased air/sea in the EU and who were already on their trips. The law and the cruise contract they themselves issue in Europe require doing this.

Now, it seems they are sending out "apology" letters here in Europe. But I think the damage has already been done.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I too was caught up in this problem. However perhaps your miss was your mercy. We had a dreadful cruise, the worst in 30, and then to be dumped at the side of a road by Royal Caribbean was appalling. I have submitted a Vision of the Seas review, and here is the link to the thread I started. I'm not even complaining about the money just their lack of empathy and compassion. http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1190614

Archived