Shame on you Adam Goldstein-CEO RCI

There are some saying that insurance companies don't have to cover this as per the policy limitations.

I believe there may also be some that may not have had insurance and they want RCI to refund their money or give them a cruise credit for future travel.

As I stated in another thread, this would be no different that being stuck in a snow storm and not able to arrive at the port to board the ship. Royal Caribbean or any other cruise line would not refund any funds or issue a future cruise credit. If you do not have insurance then you are taking a gamble. Not sure why any one could not understand that.

As I stated in another thread, this would be no different that being stuck in a snow storm and not able to arrive at the port to board the ship. Royal Caribbean or any other cruise line would not refund any funds or issue a future cruise credit. If you do not have insurance then you are taking a gamble. Not sure why any one could not understand that.

You're right, but this is kind of sticky. Some insurance co. are saying they will cover and some are saying no. I am referring to the EU/UK policies. One ins. company said that since their is no mention of volcanos in their policy they will not cover. It's crappy, but who would look for a volcano clause if you live in Uk, Scotland, or Ireland. I live in NC and would have never even thought about such a thing. I guess there is a good lesson to be learned here. I'll bet we will all be a bit more particular when purchasing insurance in the future.

I personally think that RCI and other cruiselines will offer something to their customers, however small. It would be better to take a hit now, rather than gamble on the long term bad publicity.

I have been preaching that from thread #1.....about this subject.

I too don't understand why this is somehow an "exception" to the rule of the contract??? Nobody has been able to explain it to me just yet.

Cruiseline contracted with the passenger to give them passage for however many days, at whatever agreed price and they are providing that. Just because the passenger's car broke down on the way to the pier or a huge snowstorm closed down all the roads and airports or a hurricane struck Miami airport and cruisers could not catch a flight from/to London to catch a cruise, etc. etc. etc.,

Do I need to go on?

PLEASE SOMEBODY, explain how this is different?

I have been preaching that from thread #1.....about this subject.

I too don't understand why this is somehow an "exception" to the rule of the contract??? Nobody has been able to explain it to me just yet.

Do I need to go on?

PLEASE SOMEBODY, explain how this is different?

Not that I agree, but I think that many people feel that a car breakdown, snowstorm, hurricane, etc, are things that are within the realm of possibility, whereas volcanic ash is bat**** crazy, and so maybe should be covered under an insurance policy. Again, not that I agree.

Hey, I understand it. I was responding to the post of Cruise Junky.

Insurance companies are saying they're paying under the Weather Condition Delay. And it's too early for any passenger to be able to say they were denied. So don't know where this "Insurance Isn't Paying" is coming from.

Sandyscrusin, I am sure when all is caught up, someone will be looking into allegations made against cruise lines, airlines, and possibly even hotels as I've heard prices went up to almost triple the regular rates.

[/color]

Sandyscrusin, I am sure when all is caught up, someone will be looking into allegations made against cruise lines, airlines, and possibly even hotels as I've heard prices went up to almost triple the regular rates.

WHAT??? Are you trying to say the price of a cruise triple?? Let's see some proof of this. :confused::confused:

WHAT??? Are you trying to say the price of a cruise triple?? Let's see some proof of this. :confused::confused:

HOTELS

"possibly even hotels as I've heard prices went up to almost triple the regular rates."

We talked a lot on here about cruise lines not refunding.

Airlines not providing food, accommadations

Hotel, triple rates.

Got it now.

Uh, no. They were saying that hotels are charging stranded travelers up to triple.

Is that just supply and demand? I've never heard of having an investigation when I pay a third or half the normal price for a hotel using Hotwire. :D

Is that just supply and demand? I've never heard of having an investigation when I pay a third or half the normal price for a hotel using Hotwire. :D

It is supply and demand. But if you are in a *crisis* situation, some authorities look unfavorably at those that get into price gouging.

Thanks Sandy and Scuba.

It is supply and demand. But if you are in a *crisis* situation, some authorities look unfavorably at those that get into price gouging.

Thanks Sandy and Scuba.

It's the same as when they were selling a gallon of water for $25-$50 after Kartina. I saw on BBC yesterday a couple from UK in Hong Kong (I think) Their hotel went from 200 euro to 790 euro.

Insurance companies are saying they're paying under the Weather Condition Delay. And it's too early for any passenger to be able to say they were denied. So don't know where this "Insurance Isn't Paying" is coming from.

In the UK there are several insurance firms, (mine included) that are not seeing this as a weather event, but as an atutal disaster or 'act fo god' which is excluded. I can see some court cases, but given the scale fo the claims, there is a good chance the courts will side with the insurance firm, looking at the orginating event.

It's the same as when they were selling a gallon of water for $25-$50 after Kartina. I saw on BBC yesterday a couple from UK in Hong Kong (I think) Their hotel went from 200 euro to 790 euro.

So that is not the same as what the hotels do when the Super Bowl comes to town??

Its noones fault really...not the consumer and not RCCL....however, the customer is never wrong...while I don't think that a refund is called for, some compassion and understanding should be given. Let them take another cruise, its not going to kill them. They can lose this customer and any word of mouth business over 1 cabin on a cruise...it doesn't add up.

C'mon RCCL...show some compassion and give them a break...it wasn't there fault.

As to those saying that she should have purchased the airline tickets through RCCL....when I was going to purchase my tickets to San Juan through RCCL...they were going to charge me $600 per ticket, when I could get it for $280...that's a ridiculous difference in price. I always try to go a couple of days ahead in cases of bad weather etc., but when its not the consumer's fault...why not show some fantastic customer service.

Its noones fault really...not the consumer and not RCCL....however, the customer is never wrong...while I don't think that a refund is called for, some compassion and understanding should be given. Let them take another cruise, its not going to kill them. They can lose this customer and any word of mouth business over 1 cabin on a cruise...it doesn't add up.

C'mon RCCL...show some compassion and give them a break...it wasn't there fault..

I do not thing we are talking about 1 cabin here. If it was just one cabin, RCI might do something. It is most likely hundreds of cabins.

Thank you for comments, we know there are others worse off than ourselves, but we do have insurance but whether they will pay up, we dont know.

The American Airlines flight was internal to USA and they would not link it to my international Continental flights. Fair enough.

The best we had hoped for was to pay a charge to RCI for rebooking another cruise.

We did not expect a full refund on a cabin which will be resold.

There are no airline seats available to USA from Scotland until 9th May as priority is being given to those stranded. Rightly so. Hopefully flights begin tomorrow but who knows and you get home.

We have taken many fly/cruise and cruise only packages with RCI, but all have a London England bias so we do our own flights to save time from Scotland. We had visits before and after the cruise in Florida and North Carolina.

The high handed way RCI have handled this problem beggars belief. No sympathy, just go away. After several hours on the phone thats the last thing you need.

Perhaps the Corporate Officers in Miami should get out a lot more.

Best of Luck

Scotland01

We are in Scotland and last year booked a package with flights etc from RCI and the flights they gave us were to Orlando via Dallas!!!!!! So the price was expensive and then we had to pay more to go via Gatwick and direct!!! We didnt know the route until about a few weeks after booked. We have booked again for next year on FOS but once more they offered us flights of unknown routes for over £700 each person!! When I posted this problem on the cruise air threads many critisised me for presuming I would have direct flights etc etc etc and saying that was one of the problems with cruiseair!!!! Now many are saying you should book cruise air!!!!!

I feel your pain! Travelling from Scotland the air fares are huge and it is a big holiday and costs thousands. Would be gutted to lose it. Saying that I hope you get offered something, friends of ours have been able to rebook onto Oasis for Sept (it was there honemoon) and Im not sure they booked it all with RCI.

Customer service doesn't mean giving people something they didn't pay for. If they did that, the customers that paid extra for insurance and flight arrangements through Royal would have a very valid complaint.

Well Said.

You are right on both, but now there is a third issue. (I'm not there, but do believe the reports I am hearing, several stories coming out of the UK press) RCI appears to be leaving disembarking passengers on their own. Many of whom did arrange air/cruise packages through RCI. BBC reports that according to EU law, the "tour operator", which would be RCI in these cases, is liable for accommadations, meals, and travel arrangements for their clients. According to C & D, they were told that this was being handled while they were onboard. Once they disembarked, they were not given any assistance and told to contact the airlines . Again, under EU law RCI was obligated to provide them with these services. Also, before you flame me and say Miami is not in the EU, the cruise/air packages were purchased in the EU therefore all EU laws apply. There was also another story, same situation of an elderly British couple left on the dock in Dubai after disembarking. Not good PR for any company whatever the cause. These are completely seperate issues from the OP. This is where I believe RCI is going to have leagal trouble. They did not fullfill their obligations. That is not an "emotional prediction", but an informed one. :D

Most people will forget by next week.

[/color]

Hey, I understand it. I was responding to the post of Cruise Junky.

I work for an airline who's very large international service was greatly impacted. You've heard it right. Hotels around the airport, some of which go for as little as $70.00 on slow midweek nights were jacked up to over $200.00 per night. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it comes down to supply and demand. I think where people miss the point is that these Cruise lines, Airlines, and Hotels do what can be reasonably done. After that other agencies step in, like the Red Cross, Salvation Army, private donations and such step in to assist in these cases. We had well over 1500 stranded passengers in our airport terminal for days. The Red cross provided cots, pillows and blankets. Local churches, grocery stores, city governments and employees (including myself) provided and served meals. These businesses are not responsible, but did coordinate these efforts. BTW stories like these are comming in from all over the world. Many Airports assisted stranded passengers who chose not to or couldn't afford extended accomodations so no one was left on their own. This is what we do during natural disasters folks. Some of you need to get off your computers and do some volunteer work.

[/u][/color]

I work for an airline who's very large international service was greatly impacted. You've heard it right. Hotels around the airport, some of which go for as little as $70.00 on slow midweek nights were jacked up to over $200.00 per night. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it comes down to supply and demand. I think where people miss the point is that these Cruise lines, Airlines, and Hotels do what can be reasonably done. After that other agencies step in, like the Red Cross, Salvation Army, private donations and such step in to assist in these cases. We had well over 1500 stranded passengers in our airport terminal for days. The Red cross provided cots, pillows and blankets. Local churches, grocery stores, city governments and employees (including myself) provided and served meals. These businesses are not responsible, but did coordinate these efforts. BTW stories like these are comming in from all over the world. Many Airports assisted stranded passengers who chose not to or couldn't afford extended accomodations so no one was left on their own. This is what we do during natural disasters folks. Some of you need to get off your computers and do some volunteer work.

I have not missed the point. The response you choose to highlight was made in regards to this statement...

"One ins. company said that since their is no mention of volcanos in their policy they will not cover."

I am not judging whether the allegations are true or false. I am saying they will likely be investigated.

As for volunteering, careful, you have no idea what many of us may do when we aren't on our computers. :)

I have not missed the point. The response you choose to highlight was made in regards to this statement...

"One ins. company said that since their is no mention of volcanos in their policy they will not cover."

I am not judging whether the allegations are true or false. I am saying they will likely be investigated.

As for volunteering, careful, you have no idea what many of us may do when we aren't on our computers. :)

Sorry SomeBeach. My post wasnt directed at you. I agreed that the hotel prices went up then I guess i went on a rant.

So many people were affected by this situation in so many ways. I can tell you countless stories. People who couldn't get to see parents or family members before they passed away and missed funerals. Brides who missed weddings. I feel bad for anyone who is out money for a missed vacation, or who had to shell out extra for extended stays but so many people had it far worse. So many people stepped up to the plate and pitched in to lend a hand and that was gratifying.

Archived