Taking food OFF the ship/room service

ontheopenseas

On our last Disney Cruise we were able to order room service ahead and then take our sandwiches etc. ashore for excursions. We also brought a soft sided cooler with us and zip locks and ordered extra ice to bring with us.

I thought I read that NCL does not let you bring food off the ship in port. Is this true? Does location determince whether or not they'll let you bing food off? If they do let you, does the room service menu include any sandwiches, fruit, etc.? Is there a refridgerator in the room (we are travelling on the Dawn)?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

We met a couple a few years back who brought sandwiches (they got theirs off the buffet just befor leaving the ship) and they too had a soft sided cooler with ice, drinks, etc.. They were off a Celebrity ship, we were on the Grandeur of the Sea. We met them a Chakanaab (?) Park and I thought at the time that they had a pretty good idea. This must have been a pre-cruise plan because they'd even brought sandwich wrap along. And I wouldn't be surprised if they did this at every port!! What surprised me was that they were a young couple who you wouldn't expect to be so frugal.

I don't see how the ship can prevent it. People carry things off and I've never seen anyone questioned or searched on any cruise we've ever been on..including Norwegian.

The ability to bring food off the ship is port based. As I recall in FL. they will not allow any fruit at a minimum of the ship. There is a bin and in the terminal to deposit the fruit. I think the fine is major if you break the rules.

Room service does have sandwiches and cookies that you could take with you.

Thanks for the replies. I'd hate to waste our precious port time making multiple snack stops if we don't have to. If we can't take the food off though, I'm sure we won't have a hard time finding something to eat and even if we do, with all the eating we'll be doing on board, I'm sure it won't hurt to go without for a while!

By the way Shoreguy, you really should receive some kind of compensation from NCL for all your great advice!

Thanks for the replies. I'd hate to waste our precious port time making multiple snack stops if we don't have to. If we can't take the food off though, I'm sure we won't have a hard time finding something to eat and even if we do, with all the eating we'll be doing on board, I'm sure it won't hurt to go without for a while!

By the way Shoreguy, you really should receive some kind of compensation from NCL for all your great advice!

Thanks. Believe or not the do notice what we all post here. Here is a quote from an email I got from Colin Veltch

" I have noticed you before on Cruise Critic and am glad now to make your

acquaintance under a real name!"

I usually get all I want from NCL - A great vacation. In part do to all I have learned from others on these boards.

Just to clarify, the rules concerning whether or not you're allowed to take food off the ship are not set by the cruise lines. It's entirely up to the jurisdiction of the port. The cruise line is merely following orders that are designed to prevent agricultural infestation.

Just to clarify, the rules concerning whether or not you're allowed to take food off the ship are not set by the cruise lines. It's entirely up to the jurisdiction of the port. The cruise line is merely following orders that are designed to prevent agricultural infestation.

John - good point of clarafication - I tried to capture that but did not do a good job.

If they do catch you you may end up in jail. Remember you are not in America. I would surely ask if it was OK before I took anything off the ship. i just might be fine but I would check to be sure before I did. The cruise ship can't do anything for you in a foreign land.

Just my thoughts.

Don

Most countries don't care if you are bringing processed food. Its the raw food or vegatables that they are concerned about. The one country that is probably most strict about this is the US, especially Hawaii. Some countries do say not to but the US is the one where they search and use dogs for contraband food. Mad Cow in Canada is thought to have been started by illegally brought in food stuff(but not from a cruise ship).

We have done this at many ports. Not necessarily to save money, but because we don't want to waste our time in ports stopping for snacks/meals and some excursions we're on don't allow for these types of stops. We either order sandwiches from room service (if this is an option) or make them from the items available at the breakfast buffet.

We have NEVER had a problem getting off the ship.

Archived