Ex Officio, REI, TravelSmith

Gablin

I find myself fascinated with "travel clothing." I've owned quite a bit of it, mostly for the many secret pockets and wrinkle-free characteristics.

I recently found a three piece Ex Officio set: skirt, vest and long sleeved blouse. I bought it, but have to have the skirt shortened (or, YIKES! do it myself!)

Do others here look for easy packing, coordinated sets, reversible, otherwise "travel clothing?"

Sets don't work for me, I find that at least one piece of a set will be way too large for me.

But, I do have a reversible dress, a raincoat with extra pockets and clothing that travels well and is comfortable. I don't think you have to limit yourself to travel company brands, though. I find that certain fabrics, such as jersey knit, travel so well with no wrinkles and are very light weight. I wear dresses to my second job, so just take from there rather than having a travel wardrobe.

I like the functionality and ease of care that generally comes with both "travel" clothing and "technical" clothing. I don't usually do sets, though -- I get a piece, then blend it with my existing stuff. I agree with Happy_ks about jerseys -- they are easy to pack, easy to care for.

And as for looking for travel clothing, anything I like that I want to buy is justified with "I can use this on my next cruise" :)

I have sought out travel clothing for years. I like TravelSmith but have learned that some of their clothes are really heavy. I also shop at Magellans' and find their quality better than some of the other companies.

Love ExOfficio!

Scottevest company has wonderful stuff with plenty of pockets.

www.scottevest.com

Look for their Sale of the Day items.

I do most of my shopping at SierraTradingPost.com (great prices, really good customer service) I don't like the look of lots of pockets- I prefer sleek, and a bag to carry stuff. I love ex officio underwear for travel (especially active travel, like hiking) Wick the sweat away and dry quickly after being washed in the sink!

I'm not a matchy-matchy person. I do not like sets (or suits, come to think of it - fortunately I don't have to wear suits for work) My mom always tried to dress me (and shop for me) in matched outfits. Ugh!

When traveling (business or pleasure) I pack mix & match pieces I can wear in a few ways. So I usually buy neutrals (red, black, khaki and turquoise are the colors I prefer) and wear scarves & jewelry to add some color and interest. I try not to buy clothing that isn't multi-purpose in terms of where & when I can wear it. I do not have a "travel" wardrobe and a "home" wardrobe - though I freely admit I have pieces I won't wear to the office and pieces I wouldn't wear on a cruise - for the most part, my closet is my closet :-) (and I like wrinkle-free ALL the time! :-)

I have replaced all my active wear clothing with hiking inspired clothing like ExOfficio. I also take only athletic type t-shirts and polo's now too. Both are very travel friendly they don't wrinkle easily, are light weight, and dry quickly so as I wash them in the sink they are dry by morning.

All of my dress clothing is wrinkle resistant but are either wash and wear or need dry cleaning. About half way through the cruise I will have the cruise line do the cleaning for them so by the end of the cruise I have very few items that need cleaning when I get home.

My two favorite travel pants are Tilley Endurables and Travel Smith. Tilley are my favorite but both travel very well and look nice ever after flying for a long time. Both have a secret pocket so you can hide a small wallet or money clip from would be pickpockets. Like Hoyaheel I buy many of my travel clothing through Sierra but I also have gotten some great buys on eBay. I bought both my Tilley and Travel Smith pants on eBay. Both of these pants are expensive but Tilley are by far a lot more and I was able to buy my pants for less than $30 for the Tilley and $20 for the Travel Smith.

Shak

I made two reversible skirts for this last cruise and found them quite handy. I also had two pairs of cargo-style capris, one of which could be "converted" into regular-length pants, though I didn't use that feature.

Anything with plenty of pockets is good for me! By mid-cruise, that became the most important criterion for my clothing choice for the day.

Archived