Vision of the Seas - a disgraceful cruise, any advice?

mcgorr

I find that tiresome, as well. It's very hard to sort out a situation like this, though. It was a difficult ordeal for everyone affected, and when you're hearing from the perspective of someone who lived through the ordeal, it's going to be from a somewhat clouded point of view. Royal Caribbean was in pretty much a no-win situation, because they are, in fact, a mass market carrier, and they are not equipped or staff to adequately deal with a crisis like this. So, no matter what they did, it was probably not going to be enough, and people would have bad experiences. I'm not excusing any particular actions; only saying that there was no way they were going to be able to handle this in a way that made everyone happy.

Raising prices was an outright terrible thing to do. They made a no-win situation worse. They were not equipped or staffed to adequately deal with a crisis like this, but some how they took the time to raise prices for those stranded. Sounds like instead of trying to firgure what they COULD do to help, they were trying to firgure out how they could profit from the disaster.

Raising prices was an outright terrible thing to do. They made a no-win situation worse. They were not equipped or staffed to adequately deal with a crisis like this, but some how they took the time to raise prices for those stranded. Sounds like instead of trying to firgure what they COULD do to help, they were trying to firgure out how they could profit from the disaster.

Were you on that cruise? Just curious, because I found the OPs thread a little nebulous. He mentioned a 25% increase in what they had earlier quoted for staying onboard beyond their scheduled departure, but he was a little vague about what they quoted earlier and if it was even a firm number. He only said "a daily rate, plus port taxes and fees" or something like that. So, I wasn't sure if the were only given an estimate, and the firm number the next day was higher than expected or if the "taxes and fees" that he thought would be a low number turned out to be 25% extra.

Or, perhaps they did quote a number, then changed it up on the passengers. That would not be good at all.

Still, a "cheerleader" could argue that they didn't have to transport the passengers on to later ports at all, once their scheduled cruises were over, but since they needed help and there was room on the ship, they made accommodations.

None of us were there, so we don't know what happened. Sounds like OP tried to find the positives where he could. I'm curious as to why you would be surprised that a cruise originating in Brazil would cater to Brazilians, but that's for another time.

I know a lot of people come on here to review their cruises--positive and negative--and that RCI reads these forums, but I hope that everyone affected by any of these issues actually writes to the company in addition to posting on here. CC comprises something like 1% of the cruising population. People can post all they want here, and say that they're mad about stained sheets/ships being pulled/whatever, but why should RCI listen to only 1% of its customers? If these things aren't being reported, how do they know they're happening and why should they fix anything? Anonymous posting on an internet board that 1% of their customers know about is hardly going to put a dent in their profits. I'm not saying any mistreatment is right, but only complaining about it here does no good.

Were you on that cruise? Just curious, because I found the OPs thread a little nebulous. He mentioned a 25% increase in what they had earlier quoted for staying onboard beyond their scheduled departure, but he was a little vague about what they quoted earlier and if it was even a firm number. He only said "a daily rate, plus port taxes and fees" or something like that. So, I wasn't sure if the were only given an estimate, and the firm number the next day was higher than expected or if the "taxes and fees" that he thought would be a low number turned out to be 25% extra.

Talk about "Spin" :rolleyes:.

No I was not on the ship and I assume you were not either since it is so easy for you to call the OP's post spin. The OP went through a terrible ordeal and we did not. The difference is I choose to have a little compassion and empathy for him instead of calling his post spin. You are trying to portray yourself as being neutral and trying to get everyone else not to take a side when that is the very thing you are doing. At least I admit that I believe Royal did not step up.

BTW I came to that conclusion from the many passengers who went through similar situations with Royal in Europe. I guess I believe that if enough people complain then there is a good chance that they are telling the truth. Call me crazy or at least a "non cheerleader" :)

No I was not on the ship and I assume you were not either since it is so easy for you to call the OP's post spin. The OP went through a terrible ordeal and we did not. The difference is I choose to have a little compassion and empathy for him instead of calling his post spin. You are trying to portray yourself as being neutral and trying to get everyone else not to take a side when that is the very thing you are doing. At least I admit that I believe Royal did not step up.

Obviously, I am not very skilled at getting my points across, because people usually don't seem to get it. I didn't bring up the issue of "spin;" someone else did. I just tried to point out that we all post from a certain point of view, and in that sense, it's all "spin" to a certain degree.

Instead, it comes across as taking sides and being without compassion for someone who's been through a difficult ordeal.

I would just like to state that I wrote to the cruise director about the majority of these complaints before the problems arose regarding the signing up for the trip to Le Havre and the tratment we received at this time.

I would just like to state that I wrote to the cruise director about the majority of these complaints before the problems arose regarding the signing up for the trip to Le Havre and the tratment we received at this time.

Maybe I underestimate them, but I always saw the cruise director role as mostly social functions and communication. Cruise directors are fun and nice, but if I had complaits about the ship and service, I'd speak to the hotel director. I think hotel directors are strong, stern and with lots of clout. If out of the cruise director span of influence, hopefully he passed the info along...

Apologies, it may not have been Crown Princess but definitely a Princess ship, although I honestly thought it was Crown Princess. The information was given to us in Le Harve by one of the passengers.

I love puzzles, but I have not yet solved this one. I haven't figured out which Princess ship might have been in port with you. Nor have I found any posts on the princess board about free cruises for ash victims. A passenger in port said they got a free cruise, etc? Any chance they were pulling your leg? I've heard passengers tell some big, odd stories. Some people love to upset others.

I reckon it must be the Grand Princess which is now sailing out of Southampton. Going by the British Boards I think the passenger was honest, although I do tend to take people at face value, these boards are reporting kind and compasionate treatment by cruise companies other than Royal Caribbean.

Seems like RCCL's shoddy treatment of its passengers...while CEO Goldstein was making medua points on Celebrity was not just limited to Vision. Part of review here:

"That day, we heard of the volcanic eruption –it was clear to us we would not be flying home two days later – no problem we thought as we had booked a package holiday through RC – a reputable operator we (mistakenly) thought. Everything written in other reviews of this cruise and RC’s treatment of its passengers is totally accurate. There was no information whatsoever about how RC would get us home until the day we were due to depart when a letter was wedged under the door of our cabin. The information was not clear – the letter said our flights would be automatically rebooked (they were not!) and seemed to indicate that our hotel accommodation would be booked. We went to Reception to check this out and were told that block bookings had been made. Throughout the emergency there was no sign of the captain or any senior officer – no meetings to allay our fears, even though the ship had two very large meeting areas. RC just wanted us off that ship asap and we were left stranded at Venice Airport. We were given a telephone number which did not work and when I phoned the London and Miami numbers they seemed oblivious to what our problem was – the RC approach to any problem seems to be ‘tough, that’s the way it is, what’s your problem!!’ The exceptions were our excellent cabin attendant and waiters.

We were directed to a hotel by RC’s local staff. No record was made of where we were sent but the rep made sure we knew that RC would not be paying the bill. The failure of BA and RC to work out what they would do with the several hundred British people who cam off Splendour of the Seas was scandalous."

Here's a question: from what I heard on the news over there...if these people had full packages booked with RCCL and were summarily dumped...isn't that a violation of EU law?

I hope you all will look into your rights and pursue them to the fullest degree.

http://cruisediva.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-volcanic-ash-affects-royal.html

DaisyEngland said...

Adam Goldstein. My husband and I cruised with RCL to Dubai and were disgusted with your cruise line. You dumped all passengers at Dubai with no accommodation, flight or money and sailed to Barcelona. You then offered a return flight date of 6 May which was completely unnacceptable. We had to pay for our own accommodation (booked by my sisters in the UK) and make our own travel arrangements to return home. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Thousands of passengers were left stranded. We booked a package holiday with you and were told by guest relations that they would help us. You did nothing. I will be sending you a list of invoices for reimbursement. Failing that I fully intend to sue you as do hundreds of other people. I hope you get what you deserve. You made my husband and I ill.

April 26, 2010 9:28 AM

RCI definitely the villains.....from one family (us!) who were abandoned at Venice airport and not contacted for a week - RCI had no idea, and no interest in our whereabouts, we spent around £80 on fruitless calls to their flight centre and are around £2000 out of pocket with little hope of getting it back......and RCI don't care a jot!!! We have been good customers of RCI, as have many others, but NEVER AGAIN!!

http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-answers/question-22650/

http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-reviews/read_review_21857/

Here's the link for my first quote.

This is just a sampling.

All I can think of is CEO Goldstein's highly publicized "rescue" operation on Celebrity while his own paying customers across the fleet WHO BOOKED PACKAGES...were being dumped off all over Europe without the slightest consideration.

Goldstein made this statement on the RCCL website:

"While this is a “case of first impression” as the lawyers like to say, our key people know their roles and responsibilities in a situation and assume them seamlessly. Given the time difference between the US and Europe, the first conference call of each morning occurs at 5 a.m. Eastern time. We are obviously monitoring the progress of the cloud of debris as well as any pronouncements from national authorities about the implications of the situation on their airports and air flights. For example, at the moment we know that British Airways has cancelled flights on Monday and UK airspace will not open before at least 7 a.m. UK time. We discuss all of this by email and phone as a management team as each day unfolds and try to agree as quickly as possible on any information to post on our web site or issue in the form of a letter to our guests currently onboard."

So one would assume the top management knew they were stranding their package customers...when Goldstein set about to star in a media rescue event.

How utterly nauseating.

Of course many of you think ...the rest of us should not care. I myself was in a lovely hotel in London with every amenity. But hypocrisy...particularly this type of corporate hypocriscy...using this crisis for a media stunt while your own paying customers are treated shabbily...does stick in my craw.

To the OP ....please keep us informed as to what response you get.

Oh ...but good news...Goldstein reports profits up today:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iZnWDYI-I0GoNMt7h3avLeNzA-iwD9FC447G0

I agree, look at the publicity Celebrity got for helping out, RCI could learn a lesson from them. It would be cheaper than the adverts on Tv they are putting out.;)

Im sorry to the OP they had a bad cruise, it seems to be getting popular these bad cruises .

But this was not laid on by celebrity to rescue their customers, as I understand the UK tour operators paid the costs of the fuel and gave everyone a £40 OBC, however they may well benefit from the free publicity.

But this was not laid on by celebrity to rescue their customers, as I understand the UK tour operators paid the costs of the fuel and gave everyone a £40 OBC, however they may well benefit from the free publicity.

At a time when there is almost universal disdain for corporate greed and CEO hypocrisy...this would be a great story to be fed to Skynews or any of the British press. Here's Goldstein on the Celebrity ship, swanning to the press that in a crisis all must work together...then cut to some of the stories from RCCL customers on these various ships to the shoddy,"you're on your own" treatment they received.

Why should the RCCL be able to leave the impression they were "heroes" when their corporate actions were the exact opposite.

The actions were bad enough...the duplicity...repulsive!

I bet some Brit media would love this story!

http://cruisediva.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-volcanic-ash-affects-royal.html

DaisyEngland said...

Adam Goldstein. My husband and I cruised with RCL to Dubai and were disgusted with your cruise line. You dumped all passengers at Dubai with no accommodation, flight or money and sailed to Barcelona. You then offered a return flight date of 6 May which was completely unnacceptable. We had to pay for our own accommodation (booked by my sisters in the UK) and make our own travel arrangements to return home. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Thousands of passengers were left stranded. We booked a package holiday with you and were told by guest relations that they would help us. You did nothing. I will be sending you a list of invoices for reimbursement. Failing that I fully intend to sue you as do hundreds of other people. I hope you get what you deserve. You made my husband and I ill.

April 26, 2010 9:28 AM

Factually incorrect.

Friends were on the same cruise that returned to Dubai on April 19th. They were sent to one of the 5 (yes that says five) hotels that RCI had arranged for guests on the Monday. Yes, they had to pay but it was a reduced rate. On Tuesday, a rep from EK came to the hotel and took everyone's preferences to get home (any UK airport or only a specific airport). At 5:15am on Wednesday morning they got a call from reception telling them to get to the airport asap and they took off at 9:30, back home at LGW by lunchtime Wednesday April 21st.

...Of course I did not expect to be given a free cruise, however the crown princess, docked beside us in Le Harve, did give their British guests a free cruise and took them directly to Southampton!!

I reckon it must be the Grand Princess which is now sailing out of Southampton. Going by the British Boards I think the passenger was honest, although I do tend to take people at face value, these boards are reporting kind and compasionate treatment by cruise companies other than Royal Caribbean.

Was that April 23? Oh, I thought it was sooner. Wow, I had not relieved you ended up taking 4 nights of the next cruise. Since you were not happy on the ship, it must have been a tough decision to stay aboard. Ouch.

The Grand Princess would certainly have taken the passengers straight from Le Havre on April 23 to Southampton on the 24th to end the scheduled itinerary. Everyone on that roll call seems to have had a terrific cruise, and they were not impacted by the volcano. Airports were open before they docked as scheduled in Southampton. Nobody has reported receiving a free cruise or any other compensation (nor on my non-impacted cruise which ended in Hamburg the same day). Like us, they received updates from the captain daily, but no extra "compassion" was needed on non-impacted cruises. Empty seats reported on some flights (same for mine from Hamburg). What a difference a few days made!

I really think the Princess passenger who reported a free cruise due to the volcano was pulling your leg. How cruel for anybody to add to your aggravation at such a vulnerable time.

I am very sorry this happened to you, but I am glad you are home, safe and sound.

I agree, look at the publicity Celebrity got for helping out, RCI could learn a lesson from them. It would be cheaper than the adverts on Tv they are putting out.;)

Im sorry to the OP they had a bad cruise, it seems to be getting popular these bad cruises .

Celebrity and RCI are from the same company.

My thoughts are with the OP...and the elderly couple (the lady with pneumonia,h ope she is recovering).Last night I was reading an article by Jim Walker who is a Maritime Lawyer....I was horrified :(

I got to his site via a link on CC...but still being very ill here in Honolulu I'm a little hazy as to where the link is :confused:

I contracted Legionnaires Disease on the cruise ship and am very worried about my health when flying back to Perth on Tuesday. After reading Mr Walker's article I'm afraid there will be no more RCI for me.

I am wondering if the elderly lady with pneumonia had any tests done by the medical staff onboard. I was in ICU and tests concluded that I have Legionnaires Disease.

Other people can breathe in the same bacteria and not be affected, nor is it contagious. But I got it and it ruined both the cruise and my stay in Hawaii. It is an extremely dangerous illness.

Have I any comeback?

hazence, I have agreed with all your posts, very well done :)

There is more to the story of Le Havre that day. The French transportation workers were on strike.

The Grand Princess Passengers were impacted by the strike. DrJohn says in his review "...in La Havre we had checked in and were sitting in the Princess Theatre at 6:45 am for our tour to Versailles when the announcement was made – there was a local strike and the buses could not leave the port. There was a lot of confusion and uncertainty..." DKNYC said "Had a little problem in France today . A strike by transportation workers (I think) blocked enterance and exit of tour busses for a while at the port."

It seems likely that the strike prevented taxis and shuttles from properly servicing the port, leaving the Vision passengers to walk to the ferry terminal.

So the European governments closed their airspace. As vulnerable travelers were trying to find their way home, the French strike, intentionally disrupting travel. Shame on them.

Plenty of blame to go around.

Archived