Vision of the Seas - a disgraceful cruise, any advice?

mcgorr

Interesting. I wasn't going to comment when I first saw the post, because the "cheerleader" tag gets tiresome, for doing anything other than saying "Oh, you poor thing. That company is a horrible monster!"

What I have found tiresome of late, is the cries of "it's your fault, it sounds like you didn't have insurance"...... as though people from the UK don't know what insurance is..... I find it quite patronising.

Apologies, it may not have been Crown Princess but definitely a Princess ship, although I honestly thought it was Crown Princess. The information was given to us in Le Harve by one of the passengers.

May I also say I do have insurance and have submitted a claim. However my complaint is not about paying, it is about RCI quoting one price and increasing it a matter of hours later, when we had cancelled out hotel bookings and were at our most vulnerable. Also it is about their very poor treatment of passengers and their total disregard for particularly older peoples welfare.

What I have found tiresome of late, is the cries of "it's your fault, it sounds like you didn't have insurance"...... as though people from the UK don't know what insurance is..... I find it quite patronising.

I find that tiresome, as well. It's very hard to sort out a situation like this, though. It was a difficult ordeal for everyone affected, and when you're hearing from the perspective of someone who lived through the ordeal, it's going to be from a somewhat clouded point of view. Royal Caribbean was in pretty much a no-win situation, because they are, in fact, a mass market carrier, and they are not equipped or staff to adequately deal with a crisis like this. So, no matter what they did, it was probably not going to be enough, and people would have bad experiences. I'm not excusing any particular actions; only saying that there was no way they were going to be able to handle this in a way that made everyone happy.

Well, Paul. I think there are certain standards of acceptable practice that should not differ whether one is a Mom and Pop deli or a multi-billion dollar corporation. Common sense, integrity and just plan moral decency make these standards fairly easy to discern.

You seem to be mostly concerned as to whom is taking advantage of "rich" corporations. I'm concerned about the consumer as well. For the most part, with their large in-house legal staffs, most "rich" firms have many many individuals and legal avenues to protect them from their scary, marauding customers trying to score on-board credit.

This is where common sense comes into play. Of course, there are always some people trying to take advantage. But when a customer books a room on an RCCL ship, at the least, he is entitled to clean sheets without bloodstains, a toilet that works for the majority of the cruise, a night's sleep uninterrupted by RCCL doing maintenance post-midnight. Things like that.

Common sense.

If RCCL is so booked that they cannot change the room or provide unstained sheets...or fulfill any of those basic requirements...they have not met the basic standards that particular customer paid their hard earned money for. That customer should "trust" they will get a full refund.

Yet often on this Board, someone says..."Oh, someone else's bloodstains don't bother me!"

"We had no toilet for five days...no problem!"

"Fecal matter smeared for days in public rest room...hey, don't look!"

This type of cheerleading demeans RCCL.

RCCL should want to be known as a cruise line that is BETTER than that.

And little boutique or "rich" cruise line...we are only as successful as our reputations with our customers ALLOW us to be. All customers want to TRUST that they will receive what they paid for.

Common sense again.

Cheerleaders don't protect RCCL from the disgust of those who will hear the stories about how the Vision cruisers were gouged in an emergency, or the distaste of anyone imagining paying thousands to hear a drill blasting all night.

It is not up to RCCL to JUST concern themselves with "trusting" their customers so THEY don't get ripped off. The top brass should "trust" that each ship is delivering at least a base standard of cleanliness, competence, and customer service. They should want to "trust" that their captains are representing the corporate values of RCCL.

Goldstein was telling the media that we all to pull together in the crisis...while the Voyager captain was instructing his crew to tell paying customers they were "on their own."

Either Goldstein was "spinning"...or that captain broke trust and faith with the RCCL corporate moral code.

Yet often on this Board, someone says..."Oh, someone else's bloodstains don't bother me!"

"We had no toilet for five days...no problem!"

"Fecal matter smeared for days in public rest room...hey, don't look!"

This type of cheerleading demeans RCCL.

Really? If those type of comments occur often, please point out a couple of them to me. I'd be interested in seeing them.

Really? If those type of comments occur often, please point out a couple of them to me. I'd be interested in seeing them.

Check the recent threads about the plumbing issues on ...Radiance, I believe.

I am a bit amused at how you dodged the entire basic premise of my post.

It's okay though. I understand why.

Check the recent threads about the plumbing issues on ...Mariner, I believe.

I am a bit amused at how you dodged the entire basic premise of my post.

It's okay though. I understand why.

I didn't dodge anything; I was simply making a point about one part of your post. I thought your post exhibited exactly the point. Things get spun from all sides. You were "spinning" other people's responses into something different than was actually said. If you can actually point me to quotes where someone said "no toilet for five days....no problem", then I'll take it back, but your post is spin, what Goldstein says is spin, what the OP here says is spin. In fact, your claim that I'm "dodging" something, by responding to a portion of your post is another type of spin.

I don't think RCI is horrible, and I don't think they're flawless. I don't think the OP is a liar; and I don't think his post is unbiased.

Paul please!

You made the comment about the bloodstain sheets and you know it. I'm paraphrasing but your comment went like this, "since I sleep on bloodstained sheets at home, a little stain on my sheets wouldn't hurt at all." To justify this ridiculous comment, you stated that the op of that thread may have been exaggerating the amount of blood. As if that really matters.

So basically, it doesnt matter what RCCL does or will do, youre going to cheerlead. Its actually a waste of time trying to get through to you.

I wouldnt waste my time with this one folks.

Paul please!

You made the comment about the bloodstain sheets and you know it. I'm paraphrasing but your comment went like this, "since I sleep on bloodstained sheets at home, a little stain on my sheets wouldn't hurt at all." To justify this ridiculous comment, you stated that the op of that thread may have been exaggerating the amount of blood. As if that really matters.

I know that part refers to something I said, which is how I know for sure that it is spin, because I never suggested that bloodstains were OK. What I did say has "haunted" me ever since, by those who want to continue distorting it.

But my basic point at the time is still true. If it was a small stain, I could accept that it was just missed by housekeeping and not necessarily an indication of overall sloppy housekeeping. If it was an obvious stain, it would be hard to accept that. Either way, if I noticed it, I'd ask for new sheets. The fact that I know people can spin my own words into "someone else's bloodstains don't bother me," makes me question what was really said, when someone claims that Guest Relations told them, "that's not our problem."

In life we pick and chose our battles and make our battle cries....it appears

Hazence, that this is very important to you.

Simple way to resolve problem...not sail RCI, end of story.

My first cruise was in 1983...my Honeymoon..I've been around for a while seen and dealt with, the good, bad and ugly on several cruise lines.

Seeing that this or the other events you have mentioned are not a life or death situation...I just can't find the emotion, nor want to put the effort in this like you have....but I certainly appreciate your endurance.

Now, back to the original OP

McGorr......have you decided, what, if anything, you plan to do? Unfortunately, the advice you requested from your original post has been rather limited.

I didn't dodge anything; I was simply making a point about one part of your post. I thought your post exhibited exactly the point. Things get spun from all sides. You were "spinning" other people's responses into something different than was actually said. If you can actually point me to quotes where someone said "no toilet for five days....no problem", then I'll take it back, but your post is spin, what Goldstein says is spin, what the OP here says is spin. In fact, your claim that I'm "dodging" something, by responding to a portion of your post is another type of spin.

I don't think RCI is horrible, and I don't think they're flawless. I don't think the OP is a liar; and I don't think his post is unbiased.

Spin, Paul, spin...

"Hazence, that this is very important to you.

My first cruise was in 1983...my Honeymoon..I've been around for a while seen the good, bad and ugly on several cruise lines.

Seeing that this or the other events you have mentioned are not a life or death situation...I am just can't find the emotion, nor want to put the effort in this like you have.

Now, back to the original OP"

In all sincerity, isn't it nice that we all are different. We are all touched by different things. I would not presume to tell you what should or should not move you to get involved, or take a stand...or ...not.

I am quite happy to put in a little volunteer time in my "viral marketing experiment" here and every place on the Internet today I like .... on behalf of the Vision customers who were gouged. I'm sure that my first hand experience in London during the Ash crisis has made me even more outraged at their treatment.

It is my pleasure to expend my effort. I'm sure there are many worthy causes that you DO undertake on behalf of strangers...just because it seems like the right thing to do.

Spin, Paul, spin...

Glad you finally got my point. Back to your earlier message, though, what did the Voyager captain do? We were on Voyager for the April 4-11 sailing, and I got a really good impression of Captain Frank. Did something happen the next week, with passengers affected by the volcano? Right now they're on the transatlantic back to Europe, and I think most of the travel issues will be cleared up (barring a new development) by the time they get to Barcelona this weekend. Or are things still snarled in European air travel?

"Hazence, that this is very important to you.

My first cruise was in 1983...my Honeymoon..I've been around for a while seen the good, bad and ugly on several cruise lines.

Seeing that this or the other events you have mentioned are not a life or death situation...I am just can't find the emotion, nor want to put the effort in this like you have.

Now, back to the original OP"

In all sincerity, isn't it nice that we all are different. We are all touched by different things. I would not presume to tell you what should or should not move you to get involved, or take a stand...or ...not.

I am quite happy to put in a little volunteer time in my "viral marketing experiment" here and every place on the Internet today I like .... on behalf of the Vision customers who were gouged. I'm sure that my first hand experience in London during the Ash crisis has made me even more outraged at their treatment.

It is my pleasure to expend my effort. I'm sure there are many worthy causes that you DO undertake on behalf of strangers...just because it seems like the right thing to do.

I did the same the other day too and had pretty much the same responses and by some of the same people.

Some have compassion some just like to wind people up.:rolleyes:

I have totally agreed in everything you said and very well written too.

I did the same the other day too and had pretty much the same responses and by some of the same people.

Thanks, Maz. I think you and I have a great deal in common.

I didn't think the lies about what other people had said were all that well-written. But some of the rest of it was OK.

Glad you finally got my point. Back to your earlier message, though, what did the Voyager captain do? We were on Voyager for the April 4-11 sailing, and I got a really good impression of Captain Frank. Did something happen the next week, with passengers affected by the volcano? Right now they're on the transatlantic back to Europe, and I think most of the travel issues will be cleared up (barring a new development) by the time they get to Barcelona this weekend. Or are things still snarled in European air travel?

Check the OP's post...or just for you Paul, a synopsis:

While Goldstein was sailing a few stranded home

Handing out the "bubbly"...while the Media droned

Capt. Frank told his passengers.."YOU"RE ON YOUR OWN."

Away from glare of the Press

While Goldstein was quoted that ....together we stand...

Vision customers were gouged or told... we'll put you on land

And the elderly hiked off with not one helping hand.

Away from the glare of the press...

But now some posters here think this is blase

Others think Royal is ALWAYS okay

And some folks just come here to needle and play

But I think this better be FULLY addressed...

And that's exactly what I've come to say!

No problem, Paul.

We could do a song...remember ....

"What's it all about, Alfie?" (hum along with me here..)

What's it all about..Adam?

Was it just a publicity stunt?

Sailing on the Eclipse

Champagne brushing your lips

Why leave your own cruisers...to punt?

What's it all about...Adam?

On the Radiance the mood was "Get Lost!"

Didn't our Captain hear you say

We'll stand TOGETHER these days?

All those gallant, nice phrases YOU tossed?

What's it all about...Adam?

The Vision Captain made you look like a Con

To quote us one price.

Then inflate it...NOT NICE!

While all over the telly...YOU swan...

Just so you know, I brought up Captain Frank, because you said something about the Voyager Captain. I don't know which captains are on the other ships, but if you're going to bash a captain in your little song, you might want to make sure you're at least bashing the right one.

There I fixed it.

Check the OP's post...or just for you Paul, a synopsis:

While Goldstein was sailing a few stranded home

Handing out the "bubbly"...while the Media droned

The Vision Captain told his passengers.."YOU"RE ON YOUR OWN."

Away from glare of the Press

While Goldstein was quoted that ....together we stand...

Vision customers were gouged or told... we'll put you on land

And the elderly hiked off with not one helping hand.

Away from the glare of the press...

But now some posters here think this is blase

Others think Royal is ALWAYS okay

And some folks just come here to needle and play

But I think this better be FULLY addressed...

And that's exactly what I've come to say!

This thread is really worrying me. I'm booked on the exact same crossing on Vision next April.

Many of the issues raised by the OP wouldn't bother me (such as the portugese majority, something I was aware of upon booking) and key aspects like an attractive ship and pleasant cabins give me some confidence. It's a shame the food wasn't to the OP's standards, though again I have not come to expect too much from RCCL and hopefully this wouldn't spoil my trip.

What really has me worried are the comments about poor hygiene and clealiness. That to me is completely unacceptable and has made me a little nervous about the trip next year.

I'm hoping that the OP simply had very different expectations to mine and that his review as a whole was a little clouded by RCCL's poor handling of the volcanic disruptions (something which fortunately I was not caught up in and therefore am in no position to comment on).

Has anyone else been on this cruise and had different experiences? I'm hoping this thread is an example of just how subjective these things can be.

This thread is really worrying me. I'm booked on the exact same crossing on Vision next April.

Many of the issues raised by the OP wouldn't bother me (such as the portugese majority, something I was aware of upon booking) and key aspects like an attractive ship and pleasant cabins give me some confidence. It's a shame the food wasn't to the OP's standards, though again I have not come to expect too much from RCCL and hopefully this wouldn't spoil my trip.

What really has me worried are the comments about poor hygiene and clealiness. That to me is completely unacceptable and has made me a little nervous about the trip next year.

I'm hoping that the OP simply had very different expectations to mine and that his review as a whole was a little clouded by RCCL's poor handling of the volcanic disruptions (something which fortunately I was not caught up in and therefore am in no position to comment on).

Has anyone else been on this cruise and had different experiences? I'm hoping this thread is an example of just how subjective these things can be.

I was in Vision in October last year and have not complaints about poor hygiene. The ship was clean and my stateroom too. My DD, went several times to the restroom outside the buffet and in every occasion, we found the cleaning lady doing her job. Seriously, every time that we went, she was there, cleaning. She even learnt my DD name. The restrooms outside the Theater were spotless. The ones in the pool area were clean.

It is true, that outside the buffet, we were encouraged to use the sanitizer for our hands. In the MDR, not, but it was there, very visible and if my DD, that is only 4, very diligent cleaned her hands every day, I don't see why adults can not do it.

Archived