renting a car in norway and insurance

Pearl64

My husband and I are going to spend a week in Norway after our cruise. The problem is the rental car. We would like to take the train Oslo to Myrdal and then go on to Flaam, Balestrand, and Geiranger before returning to Oslo for our flight home. I can find public transportation to Balestrand but no farther. But, if we rent a car from Oslo, we cannot take the train. Is there a car rental agency in the Balestrand area or Flaam area where we could rent the car and then return it to the Oslo airport?

What type of car is recommended for these mountain roads? I want some type of fuel efficiency. There will be two of us with two larger bags plus two carryons.

Is it necessary to take out the additional insurance (CDW) if our credit card(AMEX) claims it will provide it? I want the protection but don't want to pay the extra $500 if I am already covered.

Thanks for all help.

Pearl

I can offer a suggestion for part of this itinerary - we did a very similar tour a couple of years ago, all on public transportation, with the exception of Geiranger. I just don't know where you would rent a car in that mountainous region. From Balestrand, we took the fast ferry to Bergen and the train back to Oslo, spending a few days in each destination. If you must get to Geiranger, you may want to look into a fast ferry from Bergen; I would think they provide transport in all the larger fjords. In any case, you can't go wrong in this country - personally, I'm glad we didn't spend any time behind the wheel - I wouldn't have wanted to miss anything! Side note - when you're in Balestrand, take the ferry over to Vic and take a walk (1-2 miles) to the Stave church there - what a beautiful little town nestled in the fjords.

Is it necessary to take out the additional insurance (CDW) if our credit card(AMEX) claims it will provide it? I want the protection but don't want to pay the extra $500 if I am already covered.
First, you want to find out from the car rental company that you decide on whether damage to the car itself is insured with your basic rental price. If it is, is there an excess (deductible)? How much is that? Can it be reduced by paying a Collision Damage Waiver or a Loss Damage Waiver? And which one is it? And how much does CDW or LDW cost?

I have had experience of both types. The situation that you do not want to be in is if you rely on your credit card for CDW, but then something happens to the car that does not involve a collision and, having not taken the car rental company's LDW, you are liable for the whole of the excess.

For example, I once rented a car with a €3,000 excess for any damage to the car for whatever reason. Overnight, it was badly damaged by a hailstorm overnight. If I had been relying on CDW (only) from somewhere else, it would not have covered that excess and I would have had to pay the €3,000. As it was, I had taken the car rental company's LDW so my liability was nil.

In pursuit of the rental car, try this hotel in Balestrand for what the area might offer. It is by far the nicest hotel there and if anybody would know, I would think they might. There are definitely roads that wrap around and snake through that region.

http://www.kviknes.no/Default.aspx?alias=www.kviknes.no/kvikneseng

By the way, you can't do better than this property - strikingly serene and beautiful.

Thank you, Globaliser! As usual you have the answers. That is exactly why I asked. Your questions that I need to ask are excellent ones. The insurance is hefty but I certainly do not want thousands of dollars to be responsible for. Cruising 727, thank you for all of your comments. I have looked into the Kviknes Hotel. I have settled on the Balestrand Hotell and have been in contact with the owner. She too has been tyring to help me with the logistical problems. She lives part of the year in California and her English is impeccable. She came recommended by Rick Steves as well as other guide books.We have found his suggestions to be right on the momey. We may possibly go to the Kviknes Hotel for their smorgasbord. It is a hefty price but again comes very recommended. We will eat light that day so we can get our money's worth. They say to go early for the best pickings.

Cruising727, did you buy the Fjord pass for hotel discounts? It seems as if it would pay for itself fairly quickly.

Yes, I know I can go from Oslo to Balestrand via public transportation fairly easily. The Balestrand Hotell says the bus can get us to Geiranger but it would take us all day as opposed to renting a car and doing it ourselves and seeing other things along the way. What all did you do and see while you were in Norway? I appreciate all suggestions you can give.

Pearl

Pearl - we spent time in Oslo, Balestrand, Vic and Bergen. Basically, we kicked back and really just enjoyed the scenery and the people - we did alot of walking while in the cities and hiking out and about. Between the trains and ferry's and those picture perfect towns amongst the fjiords, we were completely impressed. Norway is an incredibly beautiful place on earth and getting out and about in it is the only way to appreciate it. You'll do fine with whatever mode of transportation you choose!

Archived