Dress Code for Normandie

scf1270

PACKING!!! Is "smart casual" (nice slacks and dress shirt) okay for Normandie?

Does DH need to bring a jacket/sports coat? Has a tux for formal nights. Will wear dress shirts to MDR other nights.

Thanks in advance,

Sara

btw- did I mention we are PACKING???????

For me, I dressed in smart casual attire. Slacks, shirt, no tie, no jacket. That was not on a formal night. You will however see a number of people dressed nicer. There will be men in suits and sports coats etc. In fact you may be in the minority. But it never bothered me as I was dressed per the attire of the day. I wear a tux on formal nights, but love not having to pack a sports coat on Celebrity any more.

For me, I dressed in smart casual attire. Slacks, shirt, no tie, no jacket. That was not on a formal night. You will however see a number of people dressed nicer. There will be men in suits and sports coats etc. In fact you may be in the minority. But it never bothered me as I was dressed per the attire of the day. I wear a tux on formal nights, but love not having to pack a sports coat on Celebrity any more.

Thanks, FBlack and SWACcruising. That's what we thought/hoped. Jacket will go in the "if there's room" pile.

Sara

Just sailed last week. Dress code is whatever the ship dress code is that night. Enjoy. We prebooked 3 nights and ended up going 5 nights. It is fabulous.

I will be sailing this Sunday and I am confused as to the $35 charge in the Normandie. I see conflicting statements that this includes a gratuity for the servers and others that state none of it goes to them. What did you experience and was the service so over the top and you gave them extra tip?

The service was over the top. The first night we were given a complimentary dinner and at the end we were presented with a bill for $0 that included a note that the "suggested gratuity" is $5 per person.

I believe we tipped above average but we left $20 the first 4 nights and $50 on the last night. The service and quality of food was a highlight of our cruise.

My impression was that the $35pp covered the gratuity. Celebrity site stated this although I read this week that they changed their wording but I didn't confirm. Our bill at the end had a line for "additional gratuity".

You could always give them a call or stop by once onboard to get the answer from the source. That's what we did about the dress code.

Enjoy.

I will be sailing this Sunday and I am confused as to the $35 charge in the Normandie. I see conflicting statements that this includes a gratuity for the servers and others that state none of it goes to them. What did you experience and was the service so over the top and you gave them extra tip?

There was a recent thread but I think the poster got confused with the purchase of wine and the tip included with it. The charge has always been the gratuity for the specialty restaurants....

The dress code is the same as the main dining room. With that said I'll add that in practice it is a bit dressier than the rest of the ship and sport jackets are more then norm than the exception there - but not all men wear them. I do wear a sport jacket and tie there on smart casual nights. Naturally on formal night a tux or dark suit is appropriate.

... I am confused as to the $35 charge in the Normandie. I see conflicting statements that this includes a gratuity for the servers and others that state none of it goes to them....

The cover charge includes a gratuity, but not the whole charge. Think of it as a base gratuity being covered. If you choose to tip extra if the service is great you can - we usually do since the service is always fantastic but that is our personal decision. If you do not want to tip extra you can rest assured that the cover charge does include a base gratuity.

I did notice the wording on Celebrity's site changed on this and I emailed Captains Club and they confirmed that the cover charge did include a gratuity.

Thanks to SWACruising, dkjretired and Lsimon for clarifying the cover charge question that I had for the Normandie restaurant, I am really anticipating our dinner there as being so special, we are celebrating my husbands retirement as of today, April 30th. Thanks

Thanks to SWACruising, dkjretired and Lsimon for clarifying the cover charge question that I had for the Normandie restaurant, I am really anticipating our dinner there as being so special, we are celebrating my husbands retirement as of today, April 30th. Thanks

Great and congratulations, ironic that my wife just mentioned a few minutes ago that she retired 10 years ago today.....

Will be sailing on5/30 with parents, we are in Concierge Class and they are in Sky Suite...do I need to make reservations for the Normandie before we sail or can I do it once we are on the ship...I believe that my parents suite has a butler who can also make reservations but would the restaurant be booked up by then??? thanks for any info...also is the menu the same every nite or different ..???

Will be sailing on5/30 with parents, we are in Concierge Class and they are in Sky Suite...do I need to make reservations for the Normandie before we sail or can I do it once we are on the ship...I believe that my parents suite has a butler who can also make reservations but would the restaurant be booked up by then??? thanks for any info...also is the menu the same every nite or different ..???

I would make them before as the best times might be taken....

I agree with dkjretired - make them ASAP. In general I always recommend booking anything you can book ahead of time right away. You never know what will sell out or have more limited times if you wait.

The menu in the Normandy does not change. They have a regular "ala carte" menu and a wine pairing menu. The links in the preceding sentence link to menus from the Olympic Specialty Restaurant on the Millennium last March wich will likely be the same or similar to the Normandy. They also sometimes have a special entree or two. Also, if you go there more than a couple times they'll likely offer you other off-menu dishes and are also as good, or better, than the main dining room at accommodating special requests. They also usually have a special wine dinner once per cruise which features special entrees, more courses, and nicer wines paired to each dish - check with them early in the cruise for the date and menu if you think you might be interested.

Archived