OBC from a move-over offer

DonnaK

Donna, having the people in all three cabins agree to that move-over was really a feat in itself. I once had an excellent move-over offer from Princess and had my heart so set on going that I declined!...and that was just one cabin. Have a great cruise.

Thanks Colo...I was a little taken aback by all the naysayers and disbelievers, and especially by those who twisted around or misunderstood what I wrote in my review or in other posts.

On Monday, I'm going to email the inventory manager and get in writing that the OBC is refundable so I wont have any problems on the ship.

One offer that we accepted -- they refunded the entire cruise cost

to our credit card. No fooling around with on-board credits.

And, they funny part:

...when Princess owes you money, they usually say it takes 2-3 credit

card cycles to show up.

The move over refund showed up the next day on my credit card.

So, I guess it only take a long time when they want it to.

Donna, having the people in all three cabins agree to that move-over was really a feat in itself. I once had an excellent move-over offer from Princess and had my heart so set on going that I declined!...and that was just one cabin. Have a great cruise.

We're actually all in the same family - myself, my husband, my mother, and my kids - so we all travel together. I kind of had my heart set on last year's cruise, but I was the only one who wanted to decline the offer. My mother and my husband really felt that it was too good a deal to turn down.

My apologies to the OP and the "poster police". I thought the $8000 was for one cabin. Three cabins and six pax sounds more likely. I wish they had been that generous with us when they cancelled our LA to Australia cruise on the Sun.

My apologies to the OP and the "poster police". I thought the $8000 was for one cabin. Three cabins and six pax sounds more likely. I wish they had been that generous with us when they cancelled our LA to Australia cruise on the Sun.

Lots of cruises get cancelled, most with plenty of time to make other arrangements and before final payment date. Princess doesn't make these kinds of offers when an entire sailing is cancelled. Only if a passenger is willing to give up their vacation/cruise plans (usually on very short notice) on a ship that will sail, and the passenger agrees on another sailing, sometimes months down the road. It is because they have overbooked the ship and need some to give up their staterooms.

Don't ever look for a huge gift when an entire ship is cancelled, unless it is very last minute. Sorry your cruise was cancelled, but this can happen to anyone.

I have the amount in writing. It's listed on my invoice as an OBC, but it doesn't say refundable or not.

As I said, make sure you get the terms in writing before you agree to it.

Lots of cruises get cancelled, most with plenty of time to make other arrangements and before final payment date. Princess doesn't make these kinds of offers when an entire sailing is cancelled. Only if a passenger is willing to give up their vacation/cruise plans (usually on very short notice) on a ship that will sail, and the passenger agrees on another sailing, sometimes months down the road. It is because they have overbooked the ship and need some to give up their staterooms.

Don't ever look for a huge gift when an entire ship is cancelled, unless it is very last minute. Sorry your cruise was cancelled, but this can happen to anyone.

Toto, I respect your postings and advice, but I have 28 Princess cruises on record and on just about every class ship they have including the original Love Boat and two more currently booked. I know how Princess works and if I ever figure out the formula they use for comp upgrades I will certainly let you know.

Toto, I respect your postings and advice, but I have 28 Princess cruises on record and on just about every class ship they have including the original Love Boat and two more currently booked. I know how Princess works and if I ever figure out the formula they use for comp upgrades I will certainly let you know.

My apology, I had no idea how many cruises you have taken with Princess, or if you have only cruised on one. You have just recently joined cruise critic and I was guessing you were new to cruising and had no idea that Princess doesn't generously compensate for a cancelled cruise long in advance. I was just responding to your wish that Princess would have been more generous with compensation for your cancelled cruise. Then you already knew that Princess doesn't compensate for things like that?...............my crystal ball is being repaired, but I suspect it should be ready for pick up next week. Next time I will look into it first instead of just guessing. :) ;) :)

Hi Donna,

Just to let you know that we also accepted a similar move over offer on a cruise in February and have been upgraded to an aft mini suite (from a balcony guarantee) - which Toto very kindly helped us select too :)!!! Plus we also get half our cruise fare back as on board credit. Not a bad deal!!!

I also questioned getting the money back as I knew we could never spend over $3,000 on a cruise. I was assured by our great TA that whatever we did not spend would most certainly be given back to us.

Unfortunately, due to illness we will have to miss our next cruise, so are waiting to see what our TA can organise for us.

Enjoy your cruise and I am certain you will get your credit back. Have a fantastic cruise.

I have lurked for a long time but hesitated posting because of all of the bantering and personal attacks that were prevalent on the board. Perhaps I made a mistake by starting to post because I see the same thing going on (not your post).

Having had a lot of Princess cruises I felt I could lend some factual advice from experience.

In our cruise case they decided to leave the Sun in Australia, but not untill they had it half booked. They did not even make any offers to put you on a different cruise. I had to really scramble with my TA to get booked on the Dawn in reverse direction. It was and probably is still our favorite cruise.

I have lurked for a long time but hesitated posting because of all of the bantering and personal attacks that were prevalent on the board. Perhaps I made a mistake by starting to post because I see the same thing going on (not your post).

Having had a lot of Princess cruises I felt I could lend some factual advice from experience.

In our cruise case they decided to leave the Sun in Australia, but not untill they had it half booked. They did not even make any offers to put you on a different cruise. I had to really scramble with my TA to get booked on the Dawn in reverse direction. It was and probably is still our favorite cruise.

Oh, never let a few snarky posts make you shy of sharing your knowledge. It has happened to us all. You just have to learn to make light of those that decide that this is the place for things like that instead of sharing cruise information, look past them and ignore as much as possible. ;) After a while you learn to look at those posts with :rolleyes::rolleyes:, and wonder what is so wrong in some of their lives that they need to come here to be nasty. ;) Another thing I honestly keep in mind, the typed word has no emotion, and sometimes misinterpretation is part of the problem I think (giving the benefit of the doubt). IMHO!

Remember, there are lots of new and past cruisers here and they honestly have some valid questions they would like an answer to and they appreciate the knowledge of others. Personally, I learn something new every day here, every single day.

I do understand about cancelled sailings, I had one cancelled many years ago on the Star because of SARS. For several weeks we were in limbo, as it was not long before we were supposed to sail. Thankfully for us, the cruise line had to relocate the ship to avoid SARS, so we were offered a different cruise on the same ship, in the same stateroom, for a different itineary, only a slightly different time frame. We lucked out that time, but I can understand fully how this would be so disappointing. But IMHO, we also have to look at the fact that the cruise line is in this to make a profit, and if they were to compensate all passengers for cancelled cruises, they wouldn't be around very long, they would go broke. Hopefully this won't happen to you again. And just a side note, I have read where some booked the itinerary you were interested in on two different Sun Class ships about a year apart, and both were cancelled out from under them. Now that would be even more devastating.

If you are nervous about losing all that moola try this .If I understood correctly you each have about 2500$ I think getting it as cash out from slots is the safest bet 100$ or more at a time .Do it on different machines Keep cashing out You will see the deductions made on your statement .Do check it regularly Nothing forces you to gamble Transfer on your card Cash out

Enjoy

Archived