My Time Dining question

CJJSmith

I'm going on a cruise with 7 others May 10th (Carnival Paradise). We've chosen MY TIME dining for the first time. Can you tell me if MY TIME dining is as good as the regular dining room experience. I love having a set table and the same staff for every meal, but we have some members of our party that can't eat as late as 8:30 and we don't want early dining... so thought this was a good idea this time.

So basically, how long will it take for 8 of us to get a table for dinner. Will we get to enjoy the same entertainment by the waiters? Is the service as good as normal dining room service?

Thanks for your help. I look forward to reading your replies.

Cathy:)

Your Time dining was designed primarily for folks seeking a more intimate experience... a table for two, if you will.

Most of the tables set aside for Your Time dining are smaller tables... two or four. Expect some delay being seated if all eight of you want to dine together.

Should there be a delay you'll be given a pager that will alert you when your table is available.

You can request to stay with the same serving team for your cruise.

:)

My sister and I did the my time dining on the Imagination last week for the first time. The majority of the tables I saw set up was for 2 to 4 people, but there were a few round tables for possible 6 to 8.

But the tables are fairly close together so you all could possible be seated with the same area. We were able to talk very couples on both sides of us and 1 night we were by a 4 top and enjoyed visiting with them.

One thing we noticed was that there was a long line to get in when the room opened at 5:45. We went every night at 6:45 and there was never a line. We got right in but then when we left at about 7:45/8:00 there was another long line.

On our first night our headwaiter was Nickol. Him and his staff did a wonderful job, so we requested to sit in his section the reminder of the cruise. This didn't seem to be a problem. It was nice having our quirks remembers, you know tap water, not bottle, lemon for the water, ice tea.

I'll be doing my time dining when family goes with me in December.

Enjoy your cruise.

Three weeks ago we were on the imagination and did my time dining. We got to the dining room at 5:45 every night as we like to eat early (we have young children). We never had to wait and always just walked in. The ship was full but it was never busy at this time for us. We asked for the same waiter every night and got him. We were a party of 4. The tables are very close and I would imagine that they could easily add a table of 2 or 4 to each other table of 2 or 4 to accomodate larger groups.

This will be my first experience with My Time dining on the Liberty in Dec.

I have 2 questions:

1) On the Liberty, is the My Time at a different restaurant or the same as the assigned seating

2) Call me corny but I like when the waiters do their song and dance acts - does this happen with My Time dining as well ? When do they do it ?

Thank you all for your responses, they were very helpful. I am still wondering about the entertainment in the dining room. Is it still the same as if you eat in the normal part of the dining room?

Thanks,

Cathy

The entertainment is the exact same as the regular dining. It is just hit or miss if you catch it.

In other words, they do the same singing/dancing etc. at the normal times for the early and late sittings. If you happen to be there, you will see it. If you are not there you won't.

We really enjoyed the My Time Dining. We thought it was a great level of service but when convenient for us.

I have done the "My Time Dining" on 3 different ships. Spirit, Elation and Paradise. The area used for this was always off ot the left side of the entrance to the dining room. We did not on those occasions see the entertainment. Heard it yes. But didnt really see it.

THANK YOU! So basically if we find out about the time of ther entertainment for early and late dinner shows we will know when they will be performing. :) Thank you.

Cathy

I just did anytime dining on the Paradise a few weeks ago. The waiters sing and dance during the scheduled seating's dessert. However, the anytime dining waiters do NOT sing and dance, only the waiters for the scheduled dining. And, it is in a different section than the anytime diners. You can hear them, but not really see them. So if you like the entertainment in the dining room, I would recommend against anytime dining.

I never had to wait to be seated (3 of us), but I did miss seeing the same tablemates each night. I might go back to scheduled dining next time I cruise.

My wife and I chose the anytime dining option for our cruise last month on the Triumph. We did not have to wait to be seated. We also asked for the same waitstaff throughout the cruise and got them. Our table was on the 2nd level and the "show" was on the first. We were able to see the entertainment every night. We looked forward to it. Some nights we saw it early in our meal, and others, late-depending on the time we went. I enjoyed the flexability. I would imagine if you let the staff know you would like to sit together, they can arrange it. No matter what: enjoy the cruise.

I just did anytime dining on the Paradise a few weeks ago. The waiters sing and dance during the scheduled seating's dessert. However, the anytime dining waiters do NOT sing and dance, only the waiters for the scheduled dining. And, it is in a different section than the anytime diners. You can hear them, but not really see them. So if you like the entertainment in the dining room, I would recommend against anytime dining.

I never had to wait to be seated (3 of us), but I did miss seeing the same tablemates each night. I might go back to scheduled dining next time I cruise.

Everytime we have done "Your Time Dining", all of the wait staff, INCLUDING those that were working in the Your Time Dining area, participated in the evening show. This happened on Legend and Freedom. I'll let you know if the same thing happens on Glory.

On the Pride (spirit class) we were also a party of 7. They had about 6 large tables right near the porthole windows that were set up to accomodate a party this size or larger. These tables where the only tables in the any time section that had a window view.

We had to wait almost an hour on the first cruise elegant night (my DH just HAD to have the lobster and prime rib and ended up eating dinner with a 4 year old asleep on his shoulder the ENTIRE dinner.). We arrived for dinner at 6:45 or so. I think it was probably just after the last large table was taken so we had to wait for one to free up...

We ate in the MDR as a group of 7 about 4 nights out of 7. We only waited that one night. One other night it was only five of us and there was no wait for a table.

At the large tables, we had one of two different head waiters. Some nights were better than others in terms of service - even with the same head server (it seems the different assistants make a big difference). Also, there was one really rough day at sea and I think that it had taken it's toll on the crew by dinner time as well as the rest of us.

If you have to wait and would rather not, come up with a plan for splitting your group up. The other posters are correct in that there are many tables for 2 or 4 or 5.

hb5

I'll admit it. I was reluctant to try "My Time Dining". BUt on our recent Carnival Dream cruise (4/10/2010) we had the 6:00pm seating in the Scarlett (aft) dining room. On the first evening our group of 5 arrived and were seated at a long table for 10 with another group of 5 cruising together. I was pleased, as we are usually seated at a table by ourselves and I was looking forward to interacting with the other tablemates. Boy, was I in for a shock. It was like eating dinner in the Green Room at the Jerry Springer Show!!!! :eek: I'm not at all a snob, but these people were......well, let's just say that it made for a painful dining experience.

By mutual consent, we requested (ok.....begged) to be changed to "My TIme Dining". It was a great decision. When we arrived for dinner at the Crimson (midships) dining room, upper level, we were assigned a table for 5 with the best wait staff we have ever had on any cruise. "Ikki" (not his real name) and his staff were absolutely wonderful and we never wanted for anything. We requested the every night and never had a problem being seated at one of their tables.

It's "My Time Dining" for me from now on!!!

Archived