Baltic Cruise excursions- Experiences please

So far we have booked a 2 day guided tour in St Petersburg and would like to know if there are any ports of call on this trip that we could manage to do alone. They include:- Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, Oslo and Kristiansand. Any help will be much appreciated.

Hi ,When in Oslo and Stockholm its easy to do your own thing there are some very good trips around Stockholm by water ,Oslo is easy to walk around and get to the main sights.

So far we have booked a 2 day guided tour in St Petersburg and would like to know if there are any ports of call on this trip that we could manage to do alone. They include:- Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, Oslo and Kristiansand. Any help will be much appreciated.

We too please, we have booked QE for this voyage

I managed to cover a fair bit of Helsinki using the shuttle bus to the city centre and then simply walking around on my own.

J

We took a 14-day two summers ago and saw everything but St. Petersburg and Gdansk (concentration camp) on our own. I did a LOT of research before leaving. We felt that we saw more than most people who took tours. My primary sources were Rick Steves' Scandanavia and here. We are big walkers, and Rick Steves has walking tours of all the cities you listed but Kristiansand. He also lists most of the sights, so we could pick and choose which were interesting to us and figure how to fit them in. All of these cities have wonderful public transportation, and most people speak English and are happy to help. Reviews on here give fabulous information on what people did each day in a city, and how they got around. Then ask specific questions on these boards and you'll get lots of good information.

All are easy to do on your own. I'd stay away from the HoHo buses in the big cities. The local buses are great in C, S, O, & H.

Depending where your ship docks in Helsinki: some piers have a bus stop near the cruise ship pier; some ship's dock a short walk from town. There are 2 local buses that run on a figure 8 route and are great for visitors to get their bearings and see the city cheaply. The main exhange station for these buses is near the outdoor market in the harbor aarea. Buy your ticket on any bus. A very reasonable all day ticket is available.

Stockholm: getting into city center depends on where your ship docks. You can use a public bus if it does not dock in city center.

Oslo: just walk off the ship. Everything is close. Be sure to go to Vigeland Sculpture Park, bus or metro.

Copenhagen: about 1 mile walk to closest attractions. There is a train station and bus stop near the piers.

Granny

I can only speak for Copenhagen, Stockholm and Helsinki and they are all EASY to do on your own. More than easy, just great fun to do on your own. Depending on how fit you may be, Copenhagen is an easy town to just walk around in and see basically everything there is to see. Stockholm and Helsinki are a bit more spread out and you will have to used some sort of public transportation, but that is very easy to do, and then the cities are yours to explore.

There are many, many, many threads on these cities, what to see, and how to do it. Either look around or do a quick search and you will come up with all you ever wanted to know about what to see and how to do it. There are tow threads on this page alone from people who live in Copenhagen and Stockholm and they will answer any questions you may have about those particular cities. there is another thread, also on this page, about 'can;t miss things to see and do in many of the cities you are going to.

If you have any further questions just ask away.

Here are a few pix of some of these ports to help get you started.

In Copenhagen, not too far from Langeline pier, is the area called Nyhavn, a sort of harbor area with just great shops, restaurants and the must do canal boar tour

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe247.jpg

In another area of Copenhagen is Rosenborg Castle where you can tour and see the Crown Jewels

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe332.jpg

In Helsinki everything starts at Market Square, just an amazing place with booths selling everything from food, to souvenirs to clothes

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1150.jpg

A short walk from Market Square is Senate Square where you will view the famous Lutheran Church

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1062.jpg

On to Stockholm where you MUST visit the Vasa Museum and see this amazing ship

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1197.jpg

Many people head to Gamla Stan where you can view the Palace and the Changing of the Guard ceremony and then head into Gamla Stan to just explore this great area of narrow cobblestone streets

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1271.jpg

Cheers

Len

I only have first-hand knowledge of Stockholm - have visited Sweden twice, both land trips.

As Len (Giantfan13) said - in Stockholm it all depends on where you dock. Try this site: Stockholms Hamnar - Fartygslista it list the ships by year (10), month, day. It should give you an idea of where you will be docking and from there you can check on transportation to the "tourist" are of Stockholm.

I can highly recommend visiting the Vasa - not an ordinaty museum! The Vasa was a ship that sank in Stockholm Harbor int he 1600s and raised in 1959. A museum was build around the ship and its facinating! Right in the Harbor and easy to get to by bus or even better by ferry. Nearby the Vasa is Grona Luna - amusement park (seen on Amazing Race) especially good for young people. Galma Stan (Old City) is across the Harbor from the Vasa and an interesting walking place filled with small shops, historic Churches, cafes, etc. There's also the Royal Place in GS that has a daily changing of the Guard.

Stockholm can easily be done on your own - and you'll find lots of suggestions for all the ports on CC - just go into Search the Thread and search for the port and info. The you can ask specific questions.

Have a great trip!!

Oslo is very easy to do on your own as ship docks right in centre by the fortress

We used the ships shuttle in Stockholm, Helsinki and Copenhagen .Probably a bit more expensive than the local bus but for us we just wanted the easy option.Once in the cities it was very easy to walk on our own. In Stokholm, Gamla Stan is a must its the old town and very interesting, includes the Royal Palace.

In Copenhagen we bused in and walked back to ship,

One thing to add is dont miss the sail into and out of Oslo and Stockholm ,its breathtaking.

Have a great trip Im so envious, would love to do it again .

Oslo is very easy to do on your own as ship docks right in centre by the fortress

We used the ships shuttle in Stockholm, Helsinki and Copenhagen .Probably a bit more expensive than the local bus but for us we just wanted the easy option.Once in the cities it was very easy to walk on our own. In Stokholm, Gamla Stan is a must its the old town and very interesting, includes the Royal Palace.

In Copenhagen we bused in and walked back to ship,

One thing to add is dont miss the sail into and out of Oslo and Stockholm ,its breathtaking.

Have a great trip Im so envious, would love to do it again .

Jennywren, thanks for info. Didn`t know about the ships shuttle as this is our first cruise with excursions, so this will be very convenient. Not read much about Stockholm yet but the old town sounds lovely.

Jennywren, thanks for info. Didn`t know about the ships shuttle as this is our first cruise with excursions, so this will be very convenient. Not read much about Stockholm yet but the old town sounds lovely.

Granny

We did Tallinn, Berlin, Helsinki, St Petersburg, Copenhagen and Stockholm, and Stockholm was our favorite port on the entire trip. Yes, most say it's St Petersburg, but there was just something about Stockholm that got into our hearts. We loved just walking about in the marvelous city, especially thru Gamla Stan. There are just so many back streets, to wander about and explore. They are filled with amazing shops, cute restaurants and so many other things. try and get off the main 'strip' and do go thru the side streets and find many local shops that are very intriguing.

Here are a few more pix of Stockholm to get you orientated

You cross over this bridge to get to the Vasa Museum

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1235.jpg

The Royal Palace at the entrance to Gamla Stan

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1241.jpg

The main Square in Gamla Stan, a great place to sit and rest, eat or just people watch

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1265.jpg

Some of the very narrow streets for you to explore

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1270.jpg

Here is the Nobel Museum where they ahve the entire history of the Nobel Prize

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1272.jpg

And you should not miss the Royal Changing of the guards, everyday at noon

It is a huge ceremony with marching bands and real pageantry

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1306.jpg

Cheers

Len

Yes as Len says, DONT miss the changing of the guard in Stockholm its so different from ours.

We read lots of travel books before we went but we were so surprised at how lovely all the ports were. St Petersburg was going to be the highlight of the trip for us but I can honestly say all the places had a magic of their own.

Granny

We did Tallinn, Berlin, Helsinki, St Petersburg, Copenhagen and Stockholm, and Stockholm was our favorite port on the entire trip. Yes, most say it's St Petersburg, but there was just something about Stockholm that got into our hearts. We loved just walking about in the marvelous city, especially thru Gamla Stan. There are just so many back streets, to wander about and explore. They are filled with amazing shops, cute restaurants and so many other things. try and get off the main 'strip' and do go thru the side streets and find many local shops that are very intriguing.

Cheers

Len

Len thank you for those wonderful pics of Stockholm, they are fantastic.!!

Len thank you for those wonderful pics of Stockholm, they are fantastic.!!

Thanks YOU for those nice compliments. You will love Stockholm, as well as the rest of the ports.

Again, if we can help you out in any way, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Len

Len, thats actually the parlament building but its a understandable mistake as it DOES look a bit like the Logården garden in front of the east facade of the palace.

Here you can see the Palace to the left and the Parlament to the right.

http://maps.google.fi/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.329402,18.075106&spn=0,0.041113&z=16&layer=c&cbll=59.329168,18.073277&panoid=ZulJ4l7CbiBtDprmGbV4Fw&cbp=12,212.6,,0,4.86

Logården and the palace east facade:

http://maps.google.fi/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=59.327452,18.073689&panoid=Sh9ydpXrhvoxMaMVQKtz3Q&cbp=12,235.25,,0,-6.78&ll=59.32914,18.077338&spn=0,0.033989&z=16

:)As I am on the same cruise - my husband bought me a really usefull little guidebook-

Thomas Cook Travellers - Baltic Cruising - it really does give a lot if information on all of the ports on this trip.

ISBN 978 - 1 - 84848 - 090 - 2 39.99 - THOMAS COOK PUBLISHING

hope this helps - TipTap

As I am on the same cruise - my husband bought me a really usefull little guidebook-

Thomas Cook Travellers - Baltic Cruising - it really does give a lot if information on all of the ports on this trip.

ISBN 978 - 1 - 84848 - 090 - 2 39.99 - THOMAS COOK PUBLISHING

hope this helps - TipTap

Thanks for that TipTap. Just ordered book now.!!

Thanks YOU for those nice compliments. You will love Stockholm, as well as the rest of the ports.

Again, if we can help you out in any way, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Len

Taking you up on asking questions. First, thanks for your beautiful photos...makes us more anxious.

One day stop....8-5pm, Frihamnen port. Most recommend Vasa Museum

first. Does that leave time to get to Changing of Guard? If not, should we reverse and get to Vasa when it is very crowded? How long does ferry take

to get to Vasa, how long to get from Vasa to GS? Thank you so much.

Taking you up on asking questions. First, thanks for your beautiful photos...makes us more anxious.

One day stop....8-5pm, Frihamnen port. Most recommend Vasa Museum

first. Does that leave time to get to Changing of Guard? If not, should we reverse and get to Vasa when it is very crowded? How long does ferry take

to get to Vasa, how long to get from Vasa to GS? Thank you so much.

Thank you also for the compliments.

I would definitely do Vasa as early as you can get there. Right now, they say opening is at 10. I'm not sure if it is earlier once the summer season comes around. But, whenever it is plan on being there when the open the doors.

We also docked at Frihamnen, but it was on a Sunday so the local #76 bus wasn't running. If you are there on days it is running, that will take you almost to Vasa.

Again, since we were there on a Sunday, the time for the Changing of the Guard was at 1:00 and not 12. That gave us ample time to spend a couple of hours at Vasa and head over to see the ceremony and then to explore Gamla Stan. Since we had bought tickets for the HoHo bus, we used that to get us there, but many people opt for the ferry. On most days the Guard changes at noon, so you will either have to lave Vasa a in time to make it over there. It does get crowded, but you can see from even a row or two back.

Cheers

Len

Hi Len, I have been reading with interest some of your posts about ports on a Baltic cruise. I am in the planing stages of a cruise we have booked with six other friends, going on Celebrity in 2011.

Hoping you can help me with a couple of things. Firstly, lots write about SPB tour company, how do I find them??. They seem to be the ones that get the best reviews.

Can you give me an idea of what is in Wammemunde, thinking from what I have been reading it is just a docking area. If one does not want to go into Berlin, is there anything within a reasonable distance to see?? I would like to go into Berlin, but others in the group do not. Not for any apparent reason than the train trip in.

Thanks for your help.

Regards Liz

Hi Len, I have been reading with interest some of your posts about ports on a Baltic cruise. I am in the planing stages of a cruise we have booked with six other friends, going on Celebrity in 2011.

Hoping you can help me with a couple of things. Firstly, lots write about SPB tour company, how do I find them??. They seem to be the ones that get the best reviews. Regards Liz

There are a number of firms, as I'm sure Len would agree, who get very good reviews.

Among the major, most experienced firms in St. Petersburg, it's about quality and responsiveness! First, outline, in detail, what you need, like and want in what you will send as a request to four or five of the tour firms. Ask questions, etc. Make it personal and custom to your interests and needs! Don't grab the first firm you write to and assume "that's it" after reading a couple of positive reviews for only one firm. Check how flexible they were, how they outline the various detailed costs and options, etc. Some folks will "low-ball" you a basic, lower cost and then hit you later with added fees and extras that you assume were included. If you have a group of four, those total costs over two days are going to be better or about the same as doing a tour through the cruise ship. The key advantage with a private tour is having a tour focused on YOUR personal needs, going at a pace that works best for your interests. Ask about making adjustments like an early admission to the Hermitage, dealing with people who like to take lots of pictures, adjusting if one person with a healing hip and finding the right shop to buy a Russian-style military hat, etc. Details make an important difference! You get what you ask for and seek!

Here are two other key suggestions. First, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see items on Tallinn, Stockholm, Copenhagen, etc. Second, do a search on this board by each city and you will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city. Be sure to have a title that narrow to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived