Luggage at Los Angeles airport

laurenpie

Hi Guys!

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this... wasn't sure where else to put it.

I am flying into LAX from Australia with my hubby in October, we are flying to Los Angeles in the morning and then 14 hours later we are flying to Miami.

I had all these grand plans to go on a tour of the Stars homes/Hollywood, etc while we wait for our flight to Miami.... I don't want to wait around in the airport, etc cause its well.. boring

But forgot one thing & now am a little worried...

We'll both have a rather large suitcases each... is there perhaps something that we can do with them so we can go off and do a tour?

Thanks in advance!

Lauren :)

There are no lockers or luggage storage services at LAX. I would recommend that you either take a tour that will allow you to take your luggage with you on the bus, or hire a car instead and put your luggage in the trunk.

Hi Guys!

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this... wasn't sure where else to put it.

I am flying into LAX from Australia with my hubby in October, we are flying to Los Angeles in the morning and then 14 hours later we are flying to Miami.

I had all these grand plans to go on a tour of the Stars homes/Hollywood, etc while we wait for our flight to Miami.... I don't want to wait around in the airport, etc cause its well.. boring

We'll both have a rather large suitcases each... is there perhaps something that we can do with them so we can go off and do a tour?

Thanks in advance!

Take a look at this service. I have never used them but have heard they are very good with good prices.

http://laxluggagestorage.com/

Hi Guys!

Thanks in advance!

Is it one through ticket or two tickets-Australia to LAX and separate ticket to Florida???

IF it is one ticket, after you clear immigration and customs, take your bags to the transit area and give them back to the airline.

Otherwise, you have your choice of taking them on the tour, renting a car (probably the easiest and cheapest-cars can be booked on Priceline for the day for about $25.00) or using the luggage storage place (you will either need to take a taxi to the luggage drop off or have them pick up/drop off for $17.00 per bag).

Call your airline(s) and ask them if you'll be able to check your luggage through and hand it off at the transit desk you see just after Customs. 14-hour MAY be beyond the limit in some cases, but I'd guess it's not. Just better to know beforehand. You may not have as much "free" time as you think, since you have to allow time to go through Immigration and Customs, tours may not leave exactly when you want, and you may have to take a taxi to get to the tour's start. And you should be back at the airport a good hour in advance, even if you've checked your bags through (since security lines can be long). I'm assuming you can find a tour starting at, say, a hotel near LAX. If not, you could take the FlyAway bus to Union Station downtown and get a tour there, or even take the subway from Union Station to Hollywood and do your own tour of the Walk of Fame, etc. You MUST take traffic into account. LAX is not near Hollywood, and the traffic between the two places can be very bad. If push comes to shove you could do worse than taking a bus, or cab, to the Getty Art Center and maybe seeing Santa Monica or Venice beach.

p.s. if you have lots of bags, and can find a tour starting at a LAX area hotel, you could even consider getting a room and leaving the bags there, though unless you find a "day room" rate you could end up paying for 2 days. Of course, guessing how early you'll get out of Immigration and Customs and be able to get to the tour's start is a bit of a crap-shoot. My wife wouldn't even want to think of such a thing after a long flight, such as from Oz to LAX, but maybe you sleep well on planes.

If you are on one ticket from Oz to Florida, the comment about checking your bags all the way through is probably true, especially if you are flying alliance partners such as QF+AA.

Another suggestion, if you are a member of a hotel points program, a LAX hotel in your program may be willing to store the luggage...email them and ask.

There's a good thread on the Flyer Talk LA forums on things to do during a long LAX layover (The LA forum is a sub-forum to the California one).

Sony Studios (old MGM) are in Culver City, not that far from LAX, and they have tours. It's not technically Hollywood, but it's a major studio with a long history (e.g., "Wizard of Oz"). I once lived in an apartment a block away (sadly, there's no plaque marking the spot). I have not taken the tour. Just been through Warner Brothers (extensive tour, but out in Burbank, much further from LAX). You might prefer to see stars' homes, but if you want to see something about movie-making, it'd be closer, and IMHO better, than downtown Hollywood (50 years ago, my grandfather, visiting from Detroit, was disappointed that he didn't see dancing girls and movie stars at Hollywood and Vine).

Archived