Oil Spill

The latest word from both the port authority and from Carnival is that the southwest passage into the river is open and the oil is not an issue.

The PA has position boats to monitor the condition of ships as they approach the passage. If there's any oil accumulation on the hull the ship will be cleaned prior to proceeding.

Bottom line... no restrictions at all...

:)

Yes, they can set up cleaning stations before they head back up the river, but the concern is how long Mexico will allow them to come into their ports with this oil on the ship...they don't have a cleaning station in the middle of the Gulf :eek: ;)

Sigh! :confused: I think this affects cruises out of NOLA and Mobile very shortly... but never mind. I'm just puzzled about the total lack of any comprehension about how much impact this has.

Why are you making the assumption that this isn't being comprehended? :confused:

There doesn't see to be very much discussion. Maybe I am wrong and people here are just not wanting to talk about it.

This is a Carnival forum. Not a BP forum. There's tons of discussion about it amongst my friends and coworkers. Not much sense in having countless threads about it on a CARNIVAL CRUISE forum. All the oil threads can go into another forum.

This is a Carnival forum. Not a BP forum. There's tons of discussion about it amongst my friends and coworkers. Not much sense in having countless threads about it on a CARNIVAL CRUISE forum. All the oil threads can go into another forum.

Excuse me, but do not Carnival ships have to plow through waters fouled with brown goo? :confused: It doesn't appear that they will be able to skirt around it much longer. I think that is the relevance of this subject on a Carnival forum.

I think everyone here is smart enough to know---and compassionate enough to care---about what is happening.

But this is a cruise forum. I am sitting on my sofa in NW Oklahoma.

I personally can't do anything about the spill right this minute!!

I'm guessing 99.5% of the other posters here are in the same boat (no pun intended).

We GET IT. We CARE. But we can't stop it, so we'll go on discussing power strips and fruit punch and whatever else is related to cruising.

And I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

There doesn't see to be very much discussion. Maybe I am wrong and people here are just not wanting to talk about it.

Perhaps because us here talking about the spill will in no way have an effect on the ongoing efforts to protect the coast line or stop the oil leak. Cruisers (just like the fishermen that make their living in the coastal areas) at this point are at the mercy of the cleanup and capping efforts so there's no need to increase the anxiety level by constantly talking about the spill.

Excuse me, but do not Carnival ships have to plow through waters fouled with brown goo? :confused: It doesn't appear that they will be able to skirt around it much longer. I think that is the relevance of this subject on a Carnival forum.

This isn't specific to Carnival cruises. Why is this such a hard concept for you? Every forum here for each cruise line doesn't need it's own thread.

No, they do not.

This isn't specific to Carnival cruises. Why is this such a hard concept for you? Every forum here for each cruise line doesn't need it's own thread.

I cruise out of the Gulf. I see two of the 3 ports that Carnival sails out of with a very immediate threat of not being usable for Carnival Cruises. Yes, there are plenty of forums for people to cry over the sea turtles and Dolphins.

I was looking at the the satellite image and wondering how much longer our CARNIVAL cruises will be able to sail out of NOLA and Mobile at this rate. Is that too off topic for you people?

I cruise out of the Gulf. I see two of the 3 ports that Carnival sails out of with a very immediate threat of not being usable for Carnival Cruises. Yes, there are plenty of forums for people to cry over the sea turtles and Dolphins.

I was looking at the the satellite image and wondering how much longer our CARNIVAL cruises will be able to sail out of NOLA and Mobile at this rate. Is that too off topic for you people?

I could have sworn that RCCL, NCL and others sail from the U.S. Gulf Coast.

I am profoundly sorry that I ever bothered you people.

I enjoy cruising, and I am wondering what this is going to do to out favorite passtime, but it seems it is unwelcome for anyone to even talk about it. :(

I am profoundly sorry that I ever bothered you people.

I enjoy cruising, and I am wondering what this is going to do to out favorite passtime, but it seems it is unwelcome for anyone to even talk about it. :(

You say "you people" a lot.

[quote name='James in SA'] I see two of the 3 ports that Carnival sails out of with a very immediate threat of not being usable for Carnival Cruises.
[/quote]

There is no immediate threat and certainly none anticipated for New Orleans. I don't really follow Mobile.

[quote name='James in SA']
I was looking at the the satellite image and wondering how much longer our CARNIVAL cruises will be able to sail out of NOLA and Mobile at this rate. [/quote]

Indefinitely - certainly for New Orleans. There are a number of rigs in the Gulf and there are boats going to them all the time. What would make a cruise ship special?

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz'] ...
Indefinitely - certainly for New Orleans. There are a number of rigs in the Gulf and there are boats going to them all the time. What would make a cruise ship special?[/quote]

I don't know, which is why I was bringing this up in the first place. As this spreads, if there are areas of heavy oil that they cannot avoid, do they just plow through it and hope it washes off before they get to Cozumel?

[quote name='James in SA']I don't know, which is why I was bringing this up in the first place. As this spreads, if there are areas of heavy oil that they cannot avoid, do they just plow through it and hope it washes off before they get to Cozumel?[/quote]

So far, there is nothing much for them to avoid.

Some of the people on the rigs enjoy cruising, too. Even watching the ships as they cruise by. So far, no reports of any issues.

There are cleaning stations in place in the Mississippi River. Some for heavily soiled ships and also for lightly soiled. So far, I haven't heard of them being used.

The lightly soiled ships can be cleaned while underway.

The battle is being waged on many fronts.

The losers in this are the 11 people missing from the rig, the fishermen and others in the affected areas and the consumers, the wildlife of all kinds and wetlands.

Ships and beaches can be cleaned.

There are a lot of rigs one see when sailing out of Galveston too, and I always enjoy watching them as we go by too. Hopefully the next attempt to cap that thing will be more successful. And hopefully it will be sooner than the two weeks from now that they are estimating at the moment.

Thanks for your report on the present status.

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']So far, there is nothing much for them to avoid.

Some of the people on the rigs enjoy cruising, too. Even watching the ships as they cruise by. So far, no reports of any issues.

There are cleaning stations in place in the Mississippi River. Some for heavily soiled ships and also for lightly soiled. So far, I haven't heard of them being used.

The lightly soiled ships can be cleaned while underway.

The battle is being waged on many fronts.

The losers in this are the 11 people missing from the rig, the fishermen and others in the affected areas and the consumers, the wildlife of all kinds and wetlands.

Ships and beaches can be cleaned.[/quote]

[quote name='Nunu']I'm sitting at a traffic light in my Prius bawling my eyes out. I don't know what else you want from me. :o[/QUOTE]

There's no way you could be stopped at a light in a Prius. We all know that they have no brakes. Blowing through the light in your Prius with tear fouled eyes would be much more believable. :p

[quote name='James in SA']Sigh! :confused: I think this affects cruises out of NOLA and Mobile very shortly... but never mind. I'm just puzzled about the total lack of any comprehension about how much impact this has.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp?S=12453498[/url]

Not saying that the winds and currents won't change, but the slick appears to making a westerly turn. This may not bode well for points west, such as Galveston and Houston. Dauphin Island, AL has had some dime sized tar balls washing ashore for the last two days. The media has really zeroed in on this. So far the CG has reported picking up a grand total of TWELVE tar balls from the beaches on DI. (While the general thought is that these are from the oil spill, there have been instances of tar balls coming ashore ever since they built a bridge back in the '50's. Go figure.) Mobile Bay is being boomed off with a ship washing area. So far there have been no reported instances of ships with oil on them. I suspect that ships traveling at 20 knots through the open ocean would be pretty much self cleaning.

[quote name='futaba951'][URL]http://www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp?S=12453498[/URL]

Not saying that the winds and currents won't change, but the slick appears to making a westerly turn. This may not bode well for points west, such as Galveston and Houston. Dauphin Island, AL has had some dime sized tar balls washing ashore for the last two days. The media has really zeroed in on this. So far the CG has reported picking up a grand total of TWELVE tar balls from the beaches on DI. (While the general thought is that these are from the oil spill, there have been instances of tar balls coming ashore ever since they built a bridge back in the '50's. Go figure.) Mobile Bay is being boomed off with a ship washing area. So far there have been no reported instances of ships with oil on them. I suspect that ships traveling at 20 knots through the open ocean would be pretty much self cleaning.[/quote]

Yes, the winds are changing. They have closed off more areas to fishing. It may be a lean shrimp season.

Archived