Oil Spill

Will the oil spill affect any of the cruises out of New Orleans?

The latest word from both the port authority and from Carnival is that the southwest passage into the river is open and the oil is not an issue.

The PA has position boats to monitor the condition of ships as they approach the passage. If there's any oil accumulation on the hull the ship will be cleaned prior to proceeding.

Bottom line... no restrictions at all...

:)

Thanks, I was just wondering. We don't cruise until August, but I could see what a problem it could become moving ships to different ports.

It should definately be okay by August. If the box they lowered yesterday to capture the escaping hydrocarbons doesn't work then they will drill another well to stop the leak.

Horrible situation, but either way your cruise should be fine.

The box did not work. It clogged up with methane ice crystals. If nothing else works until the 3 months it takes to do the relief well there will not be a single beach in the gulf region that will be worth visiting. This is already a catastrophe... 3 more months would be cataclysmic. :( This is a very sad situation.

The box did not work. It clogged up with methane ice crystals. If nothing else works until the 3 months it takes to do the relief well there will not be a single beach in the gulf region that will be worth visiting. This is already a catastrophe... 3 more months would be cataclysmic. :( This is a very sad situation.

There's not a beach on the Texas / LA / MI coast worth visiting anyways, IMHO.

There's not a beach on the Texas / LA / MI coast worth visiting anyways, IMHO.

In that case it shouldn't matter to anyone. I suppose Florida doesn't matter either.

"Smoking is strictly prohibited on this cruise due to extreme danger of the ocean catching fire."

In that case it shouldn't matter to anyone. I suppose Florida doesn't matter either.

"Smoking is strictly prohibited on this cruise due to extreme danger of the ocean catching fire."

Florida is far enough away from the Mississippi River to have some decent waters.

Florida is far enough away from the Mississippi River to have some decent waters.

Hopefully the loop currents wont drag the spill all over there and yuck up Florida beaches.

I know everyone here would rather discuss the taste of the iced tea or the perils of Early Saver and pretend this is no big deal. But it is rapidly becoming a very big deal that will soon affect all of us. Have a look at this and tell me how much longer our gleaming white ships around these spreading globs of brown muck...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_edvxM1dkFlo/S-XF5CYF30I/AAAAAAAAAdA/u3F12hUiO_U/s1600/SkyTruth_dhrig_spill-rsat-08may10-interp.jpg

The "box" plan has now all but been abandoned and the big white box has been moved out of the way about 1/4mile away on the seafloor. The next try will probably be a "junk shot" to try and plug the failed blowout preventer in about 2 weeks.

Meanwhile, indications are that oil is spewing out at a much higher rate than the official 210,000 gallons a day that the media is reporting. Maybe more than 5 times that much based on how rapidly the slick has been expanding. :(

This is a very big deal folks, one that even eclipses the ban on power strips anfd the bad tasting iced tea.

I know everyone here would rather discuss the taste of the iced tea or the perils of Early Saver and pretend this is no big deal. But it is rapidly becoming a very big deal that will soon affect all of us. Have a look at this and tell me how much longer our gleaming white ships around these spreading globs of brown muck...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_edvxM1dkFlo/S-XF5CYF30I/AAAAAAAAAdA/u3F12hUiO_U/s1600/SkyTruth_dhrig_spill-rsat-08may10-interp.jpg

The "box" plan has now all but been abandoned and the big white box has been moved out of the way about 1/4mile away on the seafloor. The next try will probably be a "junk shot" to try and plug the failed blowout preventer in about 2 weeks.

Meanwhile, indications are that oil is spewing out at a much higher rate than the official 210,000 gallons a day that the media is reporting. Maybe more than 5 times that much based on how rapidly the slick has been expanding. :(

This is a very big deal folks, one that even eclipses the ban on power strips anfd the bad tasting iced tea.

I agree....such a tragedy. Makes me sad. :(

And just because the beaches in TX/LA/etc might not be the best is not reason to *not* care. They may not be the best, but I've enjoyed them many times, and plan on many more.

The box hasn't been abandoned - there are still a few things to try, but it never was a permanent solution. It was considered the best interim one.

Meanwhile, additional concurrent efforts continue, including the junk shot and the relief wells.

The relief well effort is somewhere around 9,000 ft and they need to go to about 18,000. Also somewhere in there they need (soon) to side kick the drilling to get it to intercept the original well. This work will need to continue no matter what to try to insure a permanent solution.

I agree....such a tragedy. Makes me sad. :(

And just because the beaches in TX/LA/etc might not be the best is not reason to *not* care. They may not be the best, but I've enjoyed them many times, and plan on many more.

Hey, I care greatly about this tragedy.

That is an optimistic outlook, but this is already very bad and will affect us. no need to have our heads in the sand.

The box hasn't been abandoned - there are still a few things to try, but it never was a permanent solution. It was considered the best interim one.

Meanwhile, additional concurrent efforts continue, including the junk shot and the relief wells.

The relief well effort is somewhere around 9,000 ft and they need to go to about 18,000. Also somewhere in there they need (soon) to side kick the drilling to get it to intercept the original well. This work will need to continue no matter what to try to insure a permanent solution.

That is an optimistic outlook, but this is already very bad and will affect us. no need to have our heads in the sand.

What are you trying to go for here? We get it. It's a bad thing.

I think somehow he's going for the martyr syndrome.

Sigh! :confused: I think this affects cruises out of NOLA and Mobile very shortly... but never mind. I'm just puzzled about the total lack of any comprehension about how much impact this has.

Archived