Ncl gem disembarkation note

cynbar

We just left the Gem in Venice on May 8th, and I thought I'd mention one of their offered packages. If you are staying post cruise in Venice, for $30 pp, they offer a transfer package where you give them your luggage after clearing customs and they deliver it to your hotel if it is on their list. You are then transported by boat to St Mark's Square, where you can plan your day before going to your hotel at check-in time or after (usually mid afternoon.) I have no idea exactly which hotels are on the list, but passengers I overheard were quite excited, it saved them the problem of dragging their luggage on the water bus and then through the streets,or paying for a private water taxi. I'm sure that either NCL or another cruiser can give more specific info re the hotels included.

Lets hope other cruisers come back with more information. I am sure you are on your own getting from St Marks to your hotel? But not having to go to hotel , drop luggage and then take off for the day would be a big plus, hoping for some first hand info, but I will be contacting our Ta and NCL, just what we re looking for. Many thanks for the information!

Do NCL offer the same thing from St Marks to the ship? Its what I am looking for at the moment.

How was the cruise?

Sorry, I unfortunately didn't hear about any similar pre-cruise program. We enjoyed our cruise -- the itinerary is top notch, we had a couple of issues but nothing to ruin the overall experience. I'll post more over on the NCL boards once I get over the jet lag )we had one of those extra long flights home around the volcanic ash on Saturday.). Anyway, you can take the public water bus (aliluguna) from the St Mark's waterfront to the ship terminal, it's easy to find and costs about 6 euros pp plus a surcharge for suitcases. However, we decided to splurge on a private water taxi--- we dragged our luggage through the throngs of tourists in the square and over a bridge to the Locanda Orseolo and it was more work than we expected. So we went with the water taxi , it was quick and easy with a lovely ride through our canal and the Grand Canal and on to the cruise terminal where they took our luggage as soon as we stepped ashore. For us, it was well worth the money (90 euros), and we've decided that on future trips to Venice we will just budget in the cost of the water taxis, it was stress free and a lot of fun besides/

Good to know. We are staying at the Locanda Orseolo too so I may get a private water taxi to the hotel. The maps show the hotel being close to the waterfront but with luggage I can see it being a hassle.

It's not all that close when you are dragging luggage, plus you have top fight your way through the crowds in St Mark's ---- but the kicker for us was crossing the bridge! It's not that we couldn't do it (we did make it to the hotel unscathed) but it just seemed like more than we wanted to do on vacation. Plus, you'll get to climb in and out the window to the water taxi!!! You'll love the Orseolo, we weren't sure it could live up to its hype, but it did. Be sure and take a few minutes to have a drink in the living room, they have soft Italian music playing and it was magical, just like having our own private villa.

Archived