Need Advice - Stay with TA or Book Directly

mtaylor04

I thought I posted this earlier but cannot find it so here goes again.

Whats your advice: I am ready to book two cruises for 2006 with Princess, one in March and one for the summer. Should we book through a TA or through Princess directly.

Our current TA has always been great, but I am a high maintenance person who asks LOTS of questions. In addition, due to unforseen circumstances we have had to change the dates of our last cruise and the people who were traveling with us. I think my TA was annoyed by the changes.

In addition, I seem to be getting mixed information. We booked our last cruise while on the Diamond Princess and we were told by the Cruise guy that we could make one change to our cruise with no penalty's. After we changed the date of our cruise our TA says we lost our shipboard credit. As I said mixed information.

Any advice is appreciated.

Mary

Well, another option is to change TA's. If you post your email address, there is the possibility that some cruisecritics may want to share their favorite Princess TA's name with you. Just a thought. It's against the rules to post specific TA information here, of course.

It really depends what kinds of questions you ask and service you need from a TA. I have booked directly with Princess twice, and have found the people I dealt with quite pleasant, but they aren't necessarily well-versed in some of the details. For most things, your best resource is right here. Someone knows the answer, and if we don't, we'll speculate anyway and have fun with your questions.

You are better served by a full-service TA if you need assistance with air travel, hotels, and special requests, if any. If you don't mind doing the leg work on your own, an on-line TA that you can call if necessary might be a good choice.

... For most things, your best resource is right here. Someone knows the answer, and if we don't, we'll speculate anyway and have fun with your questions.

And that's a good thing? LOL There is no reason you can't get a good price along with good service. On-line or local or both TA are my best bets

I changed TA due to the fact that I couldnt get the first one to work hard enough. I ended up doing all the leg work she got the comishion(?). I thought of booking with the line direcly but got better prices going with a new TA.

So far so good:)

If your TA gets annoyed by questions and changes you should definitely switch TAs. You'll save more most likely than by booking direct through Princess. PS some princess reps I've spoken with were annoyed by my questions and requests too so you may not be avoiding that by bookin thru them.

I thought I posted this earlier but cannot find it so here goes again.

Whats your advice: I am ready to book two cruises for 2006 with Princess, one in March and one for the summer. Should we book through a TA or through Princess directly.

Our current TA has always been great, but I am a high maintenance person who asks LOTS of questions. In addition, due to unforseen circumstances we have had to change the dates of our last cruise and the people who were traveling with us. I think my TA was annoyed by the changes.

In addition, I seem to be getting mixed information. We booked our last cruise while on the Diamond Princess and we were told by the Cruise guy that we could make one change to our cruise with no penalty's. After we changed the date of our cruise our TA says we lost our shipboard credit. As I said mixed information.

Any advice is appreciated.

Mary

Hi Mary!

Just a couple of thoughts.

1) I think you answered your own question. By your own admission you are "high maintenance" and ask a lot of questions. Given that profile, you need a really top-notch TA (with a high volume agency) that will work to get you really good pricing and provide the service level you demand.

2) We have one of the largest Internet cruise agencies in our backyard and go to their home office to meet with our TA. He is married to another TA in the same office, so we get 2 TAs for the price of one. Shop for TAs the same way you would for any major purchase. You'll be surprised at what you find.

3) Consider booking on-board. The Future Cruise Coordinator has access to agency-accurate fares and you will get the benefit of on-board booking - reduced deposit, stateroom credit, one no-penalty move of the deposit if you change cruises, etc. In addition, your TA does not get cut out of the deal. You could even get a quote from your TA before the cruise on which you make the bookings to make sure you are getting the best deal.

Have a great cruise!

Archived