New to "scootering"

My DW now needs to use a mobility scooter and is not allowed to fly any more. We do not intend to let this stop us from cruising even though it will mean driving to port instead of flying. We live on Vancouver Island BC so some of the drives could be quite long. Our first "scooter cruise" will be the Hawai circle round trip San Diego in March next year. Any advice will be welcome, we have a lot to learn!.

Thanks.

My DW now needs to use a mobility scooter and is not allowed to fly any more. We do not intend to let this stop us from cruising even though it will mean driving to port instead of flying. We live on Vancouver Island BC so some of the drives could be quite long. Our first "scooter cruise" will be the Hawai circle round trip San Diego in March next year. Any advice will be welcome, we have a lot to learn!.

Thanks.

Relax -- you'll have a great time!! First, there is a hotel just opposite the pier in San Diego -- it's a Holiday Inn -- it's nice, accessible (flat) and has parking for you. However, the HC room (only 1) had a bathtub with a lip - ok for 1 night. The perk of this hotel is they have transportation for you with luggage across the street to the pier (free) and he can scooter across the street and meet you there. Restaurant there (Elephant something ok too and if you have time it is a few blocks to the seaport (shopping area). Much prefer the Hyatt -- which is behind the seaport but about 8 bloicks from ship dock.

Do some research on these boards. In Maui -- all local buses have access and will take you to the Ocean Center - very nice -- but you have to ask where stops are as not well marked (island time). If staying overnight, book Luau - about 1.5 miles from dock -- (taxi) -- Old Lahana Luau - very nice.

Honolulu - Polynesian Cultural Center -- all day 12:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Call them and they will arrange for a pick up with scooter. A wonderful day.

Kauai - Gorge is accessible with scooter (ramped).

gohawaii.com is a good website. As you progress be more specific and we can all help. Hawaii is very accessible. Need name of ship and ports. Vicki:)

Thanks.

You nor your wife should be nervous. The cruise isn't until next March so you'll wife will be a pro on that scooter long before than .

Some things to know :

She may have trouble getting into the cruise ship elevators only becuase able body people will jump right in front of her. If you are present you need to hold them at bay to get your wife in the elevator. If your wife is alone she needs to speak up to let people know that she was there first.

See that you're going on a Hawaiian Cruise. Generally there's several "TENDERED PORTS". You both need to be prepared for the fact that scooters are not allowed on the tenders for various safety concerns. Your wife has to be able to walk onto/off of the tender in order to board. So if you are planning to get off at every port and your wife can walk a few steps to get into the Tender, than suggest you also bring a collasaple wheel chair. It will come in handy even for those ports that are not tendered because you can't be assured that the tour buses will have a lift for the scooter... even in Hawaii .

Thanks for the info'

Vickila --- We are already booked into the Holiday Inn On The Bay accross from the cruise terminal. Good news about the luggage help. We will be on the Zaandam, ports are -- Hilo - Nawiliwili - Honolulu - Lahaina (a tender port). I believe there are 4 sea days out and 4 sea days back. We will be taking a collapsable 4 wheel walker for ports and will be choosing shore ex's with not too much activity.

xxoo cruiser. -- Thanks for the tip about the elevators, we humans are a funny lot arn't we!! I will be sure to watch out for the pushy ones! Re the tenders, see above, I think we should be ok provided we choose the appropriate shore ex's.

Thanks again.

I can vouch for the USS Arizona tour at Pearl Harbor. The movie theater where you see first before boarding the boats that take you to the Arizona Memorial is scooter friendly as are the grounds of the area. The boats are also scooter accessible and so is the memorial itself.

Punchbowl Crater in Honolulu is also accessible for scooters and wheelchairs.

On Kauai I recommend the boat excursion to Fern Gully. It's accessible for wheelchairs and a very beautiful, and easy, tour.

Thanks for the info'

xxoo cruiser. -- Thanks for the tip about the elevators, we humans are a funny lot arn't we!! I will be sure to watch out for the pushy ones! Re the tenders, see above, I think we should be ok provided we choose the appropriate shore ex's.

Thanks again.

So glad that you're taking a collasaplle wheelchair. Enjoy !

On a side note, I'm very proud to say that my Father was in the U.S. Navy and stationed at Pearl Harbor during WWII. He was one of many hundreds of Armed Forces Personnel that so proudly built the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific otherwise known as the "PUNCH BOWL". It was something he was very proud to be a part of till the day he died last year. Though it symbolizes a difficult time in our history it's truly a beautiful tribute to all our fallen heros. It's a must see .

Thanks for the info'

Vickila --- We are already booked into the Holiday Inn On The Bay accross from the cruise terminal. Good news about the luggage help. We will be on the Zaandam, ports are -- Hilo - Nawiliwili - Honolulu - Lahaina (a tender port). I believe there are 4 sea days out and 4 sea days back. We will be taking a collapsable 4 wheel walker for ports and will be choosing shore ex's with not too much activity.

Thanks again.

In Hilo - the Volcano Nat'l Park is fully accessible -- Lava tubes are not. As far as taking a 4 wheel walker -- NOT -- CALL OR E-MAIL HAL Shore Excursions or Accessibility Desk -- find out if buses are large type or mini. If large type -- and have luggage access underneath - scooter will fit in that area. Tipping of bus driver helps, of course. Also since it's U.S. - ask for a lift bus -- we had one for Kauai and one in Hilo -- get them to assist you. The scooter can go all places -- hard pushing or walking in these ports -- not flat, lots of ramps, tree trunks, dirt -- scooter can go anywhere.

As far as tender, in Lahana, if calm waters and you can do it, scooter is great -- needed in area under Banyon tree (shopping area) where it docks. Sidewalk shopping after that -- but a lot of walking. See if you can get to the Ocean Center -- (aquarium/shopping) -- beautiful day. Local bus is about a 2 block walk but has lifts.

Again, do research and try for private tours -- shoretrips.com may be helpful and since it's U.S. don't be fearful of private companies -- lots of traffic in Honolulu so a taxi can run into big money.

For luggage help at hotel -- you must get a time for you and the luggage by signing up the night before. (Do it early). It is really just across the street.

We've been to Hawaii 3 times - but never on HAL. Enjoy. Vicki

Thank you Vicki for the great info'. I am sure it will be very helpful.

Being new to this scooter thing means I have a lot to learn. After a few cruises using the scoot' my DW will be a real pro' !! I bet we make some mistakes along the way but thats all part of the learning process. We will just have a good laugh and re-group.

Thanks again.

Bert.

In Hilo - the Volcano Nat'l Park is fully accessible -- Lava tubes are not. As far as taking a 4 wheel walker -- NOT -- CALL OR E-MAIL HAL Shore Excursions or Accessibility Desk -- find out if buses are large type or mini. If large type -- and have luggage access underneath - scooter will fit in that area. Tipping of bus driver helps, of course. Also since it's U.S. - ask for a lift bus -- we had one for Kauai and one in Hilo -- get them to assist you. The scooter can go all places -- hard pushing or walking in these ports -- not flat, lots of ramps, tree trunks, dirt -- scooter can go anywhere.

I have never been able to get any cruise line shore excursions to get a lift bus never mind if in the US or not. I don't know how you were able to do this. I have been cruising for years and can never take ship shore excursions because they never have buses with lifts.

We were told Bus drivers refuse to handle scooters. Too heavy, bothersome and insurance issues if the scooter gets damaged.

There were a number of tours offered on our Carnival Dream Transatlantic cruise that used lift buses for the disabled. I use a Travelscoot and I can walk up into a standard tour bus so I was able to book those and they stored my Travelscoot in the luggage area along with folks using baby strollers.

There were a number of tours offered on our Carnival Dream Transatlantic cruise that used lift buses for the disabled. I use a Travelscoot and I can walk up into a standard tour bus so I was able to book those and they stored my Travelscoot in the luggage area along with folks using baby strollers.

The travelscoot would be the exception to rule since it folds up similar to a baby stroller and weighs about 40#. Regular mobility scooters become the issue when dealing with buses without lifts.

Archived