Trinkets for Cruise members

Removing the auto tip to tip in cash, or giving the crew trinkets, or cards or candy, ALL are 100% about the passenger stroking their own egos and have NOTHING to do with crew appreciation.

The crew wants paid in cash, SAME as we do!

Removing the auto tip to tip in cash, or giving the crew trinkets, or cards or candy, ALL are 100% about the passenger stroking their own egos and have NOTHING to do with crew appreciation.

The crew wants paid in cash, SAME as we do!

I always leave a generous tip and auto tip. The OP wanted to leave something in addition..which is what most of us are responding to. No one suggested not auto tipping or tipping in general.

You cannot know the motivation behind every person's intentions.

I always leave a generous tip and auto tip. The OP wanted to leave something in addition..which is what most of us are responding to. No one suggested not auto tipping or tipping in general.

That's not true about stroking an ego. I think that may be true of your intentions, but you can't speak for others. You don't know the motivation behind every single person.

Do to!!!

:D

I wouldn't leave a bottle that was opened.

Well at least you didn't have to lug it home! I assume you bought the liquor in port and it was part of your allowance.

From what I have read...the crew likes to drink heavily so it was probably appreciated...even if they had to trade it for a brand that they prefer.

.....I bought it on the Carnival ship and it was unopened when I gave it to them.

Would you give an opened bottle as a gift? I certainly wouldn't nor did I.!

wasiii

I was reading on here that there are some people who give trinkets to crew members. I think that is an awesome idea to show how much you appreciate them along with the tips.

I know when the daughter and I went to so you think you can dance we had back stage passes and brought small stuffed animals and that was a hit.

Since we live in a farming belt, and John Deere is a biggy here would items with the logo be okay. Or I am up to suggestions

Thank you in advance

They want your cash. As much as they can get.

They do not want your junk. They don't want postcards at Christmas.

We usually just leave cash -- although I do like to fold it into some fun origami shape -- like the shirt/tie --

BUT on our last cruise, we got into a discussion with our steward about my wife's strange addiction to Frito's and he mentioned he felt the same way about chocolate, so we bought some chocolates for him.

That's about it as far as our creative energies go in the crew gift department.

Why not? Some people drink shots....it's not implausible that they'd sit on their balcony and swig out of their own bottle of booze.

Ewwww....How would you know that someone didn't put something in it? Besides their germs I mean...

That's what I'm saying.

Nothing wrong with swigging out of your OWN bottle. (Don't we do that at home with OJ and soda?) And that's exactly why the stewards shouldn't want a half drunk bottle.

I agree.. I wouldn't leave an opened bottle of liquor for them.. That is nasty.. :mad:

That's what I'm saying.

Nothing wrong with swigging out of your OWN bottle. (Don't we do that at home with OJ and soda?) And that's exactly why the stewards shouldn't want a half drunk bottle.

I drink everything out of Baccarat crystal. And when I'm feeling randy I smash it in my fireplace and laugh heartily. AHHAHA!

Ditto, perfect answer. Nothing says thank you like cold hard cash and the comment cards are very important to them also, promotions, bonus and extra days off are the rewards for positive feedback from their passangers.

I'll have to agree with this statement. Cash and a positive comment card go a long way! :D

We usually just leave cash -- although I do like to fold it into some fun origami shape -- like the shirt/tie --

BUT on our last cruise, we got into a discussion with our steward about my wife's strange addiction to Frito's and he mentioned he felt the same way about chocolate, so we bought some chocolates for him.

That's about it as far as our creative energies go in the crew gift department.

I was thinking something similar - if you actually strike up a few conversations with your room steward and find out about something he/she is interested in (like chocolate), I think it would be thoughtful to give a gift showing you were actually listening to them (in addition to the tip, of course!) Sometimes it's nice to know that you are appreciated as a person, not just a staff member doing your job, no matter what line of work you happen to be in.

I have to agree that the crew members likely don't have room for a lot of extra "souvenirs", but I'm sure they appreciate edible gifts and unopened bottles of liquor.

Contrary to popular belief.....the crew loves to receive left over junk, partially used items, old clothes and other useless items. Not dehumanizzzzing at all.

Yeah. There's a bin in our local shopping center that says CREW ONLY.

Contrary to popular belief.....the crew loves to receive left over junk, partially used items, old clothes and other useless items. Not dehumanizzzzing at all.

Oh, c'mon. It's not like anyone's leaving them Cable Ace awards or Junos ...

It's called debate, the foundation of democracy.

You should try it sometime.

OP said they were open to suggestion. One suggestion is it is a dumb idea.

Big Duck, thanks for taking the time to post, however, I am very aware of the purpose of message boards in general and this one specific. I'm equally aware of the role of debate in a democracy.

However, generally, when a person speaks in absolutes it not only shuts down debate, it tends to create a hostile environment for disagreement. I don't believe any poster on this thread knows what crew members think, want or need other than what they have be told by, at best, a few of them.

IMO, when this type of posting is done, along with assorted chosen words designed to make another posters feel as they are less knowledgeable, some people will refrain for letting their opinions known.

IMO, it is wrong to engage in this kind of reply because it is not debate/discussion but overbearing rhetoric.

Yes the OP did ask for suggestions, however it seemed to me they were asking for suggestions of what other types of gift could be given to crew members, not an opinion stated as an absolute truth as to the validity of the overall idea of giving a gift.

To those who like straight liquor (I'm not one of them), I don't see anything unclassy about drinking right out of one's own bottle in the privacy of their quarters. What IS tacky would be leaving the remains for the cabin steward. Not everyone would do that, of course, but I wouldn't accept someone's open bottle of liquor!

This I can agree with, depending on the size and further use of said bottle and the environment it is used in.. If I am going to be the only one ever drinking from it, bottle to lip is no problem. I don't drink from the milk carton and put it back in the frig either.

Big Duck, thanks for taking the time to post, however, I am very aware of the purpose of message boards in general and this one specific. I'm equally aware of the role of debate in a democracy.

However, generally, when a person speaks in absolutes it not only shuts down debate, it tends to create a hostile environment for disagreement. I don't believe any poster on this thread knows what crew members think, want or need other than what they have be told by, at best, a few of them.

IMO, when this type of posting is done, along with assorted chosen words designed to make another posters feel as they are less knowledgeable, some people will refrain for letting their opinions known.

IMO, it is wrong to engage in this kind of reply because it is not debate/discussion but overbearing rhetoric.

Yes the OP did ask for suggestions, however it seemed to me they were asking for suggestions of what other types of gift could be given to crew members, not an opinion stated as an absolute truth as to the validity of the overall idea of giving a gift.

This I can agree with, depending on the size and further use of said bottle and the environment it is used in.. If I am going to be the only one ever drinking from it, bottle to lip is no problem. I don't drink from the milk carton and put it back in the frig either.

Awesome.. Very well said.. Thank you..;)

The only control we have on how people respond to us is the phrasing of the question. How boring would this board be if it was nothing but "yes" or "no" questions? I sometimes wonder why people get so upset over the questions they get. If the OP wants to do this, why do they need a bunch of internet yahoos to valid their opinion. Do it! Do what you feel you need to do or want to do! If you have to ask the question, don't you already have the answer in cases like these?

The only control we have on how people respond to us is the phrasing of the question. How boring would this board be if it was nothing but "yes" or "no" questions? I sometimes wonder why people get so upset over the questions they get. If the OP wants to do this, why do they need a bunch of internet yahoos to valid their opinion. Do it! Do what you feel you need to do or want to do! If you have to ask the question, don't you already have the answer in cases like these?

In case someone missed my last post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24375192#post24375192

Al

Archived