Trinkets for Cruise members

Oh, I don't know about that - the room steward that quietly told my stepdaughter to pull down the skirt that I had accidentally somehow gotten stuck in my thong (and was therefore inadvertantly showcasing half of my rearend) totally could have just laughed and let me walk to dinner that way if he didn't "care". :p

Pictures, please.

Oh, I don't know about that - the room steward that quietly told my stepdaughter to pull down the skirt that I had accidentally somehow gotten stuck in my thong (and was therefore inadvertantly showcasing half of my rearend) totally could have just laughed and let me walk to dinner that way if he didn't "care". :p

As none of you have really changed my mind on what I want to do, You all in a round about way have given me some excellent ideas. We are priviy to some of the most wonderful made items here in the midwest. We have Lagomarcinos the finest candy one can buy made here, Several winery's not sure on this as I will be taking some on board for me to drink, So that may not work as two bottles eight days will be gone.

There are also locally based places that make wonderful dips and spreads. Then there are John Deere pen lights. I have several months yet till I have to decide.

I do this every where I go, I like to make people feel special. Even poeple who are paid to wait on me. I see nothing wrong with trying to brighten the day of some one else.

I also work in a service industy and my clients sometimes not all the time are thoughtful and do something extra on occasion. So what if I want to try and brighten someones day on the ship, because sometimes they have to deal with rude, nasty and narrow minded people. And just maybe along the day they may smile, and mean it

I was reading on here that there are some people who give trinkets to crew members. I think that is an awesome idea to show how much you appreciate them along with the tips.

I know when the daughter and I went to so you think you can dance we had back stage passes and brought small stuffed animals and that was a hit.

Since we live in a farming belt, and John Deere is a biggy here would items with the logo be okay. Or I am up to suggestions

Thank you in advance

I think I'd stick with $$$. If you want to give a little extra cash I think that would be the best idea. Then they can buy whatever they like.

As none of you have really changed my mind on what I want to do, You all in a round about way have given me some excellent ideas. We are priviy to some of the most wonderful made items here in the midwest. We have Lagomarcinos the finest candy one can buy made here, Several winery's not sure on this as I will be taking some on board for me to drink, So that may not work as two bottles eight days will be gone.

There are also locally based places that make wonderful dips and spreads. Then there are John Deere pen lights. I have several months yet till I have to decide.

I do this every where I go, I like to make people feel special. Even poeple who are paid to wait on me. I see nothing wrong with trying to brighten the day of some one else.

I also work in a service industy and my clients sometimes not all the time are thoughtful and do something extra on occasion. So what if I want to try and brighten someones day on the ship, because sometimes they have to deal with rude, nasty and narrow minded people. And just maybe along the day they may smile, and mean it

Personally, I think its nice to try and make people feel special. No matter how you do it. Its the thought. If they throw it away, we would never know. Do what you want and don't let the negatives stuff get you!! ;)

Personally, I think its nice to try and make people feel special. No matter how you do it. Its the thought. If they throw it away, we would never know. Do what you want and don't let the negatives stuff get you!! ;)

Amen...know the dean of Students at the great private school there..believe it is a friend of mine's son's senior year...this thread reminds me of other needed remembrances... amen, smiles, hello Grinnell!!!

I was reading on here that there are some people who give trinkets to crew members. I think that is an awesome idea to show how much you appreciate them along with the tips.

I know when the daughter and I went to so you think you can dance we had back stage passes and brought small stuffed animals and that was a hit.

Since we live in a farming belt, and John Deere is a biggy here would items with the logo be okay. Or I am up to suggestions

Thank you in advance

IMHO, if you want to personalize a thank you, I would look in local stores for some cute hand crafted cards from your area. I know I've seen some from our area on the Michigan Lakeshore that were really cute. Write a personalized thank you in the note and slip some extra cash in there. Personalized from home with cash. Can't get any better than that.:D

I was surprised to see this thread still going on so I will add my two cents - I always tip extra at the end that being said - I always ask our steward when we are at a port if there is anything they want when we are there. They have asked for specialty candy, coffee, etc and we will pick it up for them but we never assume to buy them something we THINK they might like. If they say they don't want anything then so be it.

I take enough envelopes for each day we cruise, and put $$ in one each day and draw a picture (not a great artist mind you) on the front of the envelope of what we are doing that day, something funny. I also take a nice thank you card for the last day and hand it to him/her. I do this for our cabin steward. They really appreciate it!

Everybody calm down! She's a first time cruiser who had a question. You dont have to be all mean about the question and say it's a bad idea and things like that.

Saying something is a bad idea isn't being mean, at least amongst adults.

If you really feel so strongly why did you come on here to post about it?? why not just "do it"?? NO I think some people just want validation

I enjoyed the Karaoke guy on Liberty....he introduced each singer by asking "and whut part of Western Ukraine you from?"...

and they would say...um..."Ohio"..."Pittsburgh"...and then he would say "Great, very nice part of Western Ukraine"...LOL

It reminded me I don't know much about "Ukraine"...western or not...heck some of the countries these people come from I don't even know where they are...Belarus?? and many others...

I doubt if they know that many states...and probably just New York, California, Florida...and I doubt they are all that interested in others

It is so "US Centric" to think that other people would be interested in this stuff..

I also say "do the math">> if they get 10 trinkets a week, and they live in a teeny tiny cabin where the roommates both can't stand up at same time...then what??

"whut part of western Ukraine you from"??

JMO the crew is probably from the part that would appreciate money, cash, good comments on the card you turn in

But again...IF you wanted to do it, why not do it?? Why ask for advice and then not take the majority of advice you are given??I think that some people come on here to "feel good" about themselves...like the Girl Scout Moms...

"a taste of home">> that still cracks me up

I guess people expect others to say "OH how wonderful, how cute, how clever I will bring something for them from my hometown too"

I just wish the cruise confidential guy would post about this

Saying something is a bad idea isn't being mean, at least amongst adults.

I completely agree. If someone asks for opinions and people respond that it's not a good idea, that is not mean....it's being honest.

As none of you have really changed my mind on what I want to do, (...) There are also locally based places that make wonderful dips and spreads. Then there are John Deere pen lights. I have several months yet till I have to decide.

Well, if the 128 posts before yours saying 'not a good idea' don't sway your opinion nothing will. Not sure why you asked the question if you were planning on ignoring 85% of the people responding to your question. :confused:

A gift is only a gift if the recepient wants it. Otherwise it's useless.

If it doesn't bother you to spend the money then shlep all these 'wonderfull keepsake souvenirs' from the midwest in your luggage to hand out to people who have no idea what John Deere is and will undoubtedly throw them away the minute you're out of sight - have at her ! :rolleyes: I will stick with cash and *know* they will appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...

What if your boss cut your paycheck and instead substituted baseball caps or Burger King coupons or a frozen turkey? Let's be clear here. ALL cruise crew are there to work their butts off to make money for themselves and their families. A frozen turkey is not going to help with your mortgage and a trinket is not going to buy mama rice in Indonesia. If you were to see a little video about each crew person's background (war, hunger, etc.) you would realize that their service buys you fun and brings them cash that makes their considerable sacrifice with these slavish contracts worth it. I am not laying a guilt trip on anyone...I love cruising. It is a reality check and you as the guest have a "contract" to help pay your way with appropriate tipping.

The nice person from the farm belt who was thinking John Deere really believes that their cabin steward might wish a "relationship." This is a very American point of view. Here is the relationship: they do a great job to make them happy and you reward them with cash for their service. Then you leave in 7 days and the next person in your bed does the same.

Archived