BA, UK Strikes Coming?

It's progress, but I wouldn't get too excited yet. The union has said that it will not be recommending acceptance of the offer. The big question is whether the cabin crew who voted for strike action last time will now fail to support the union.

It's progress, but I wouldn't get too excited yet. The union has said that it will not be recommending acceptance of the offer. The big question is whether the cabin crew who voted for strike action last time will now fail to support the union.

If they have any sense they will. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

First time to Europe in May and I'd planned a 2 week cruise and another week pre and post cruise days in Barcelona and Venice. There were all types of unforeseen problems - volcanic ash in UK, cancelled British Airways flights and unrest in Greece which had cancelled that port stop on cruise prior to ours. I was lucky, a friend warned me to make sure I built in at least 2 days precruise to allow for such problems.

It all turned out fine but only after some major flight reshuffling. On our cruise (May 29 to June 10) seems no matter where people were coming from during that timeframe (US, UK, France) they ran into some sort of transportation/union/strike problems making it more difficult trying to make it to Barcelona to board the ship.

Everything worked fine on our BA flights to Copenhagen and back, in late June and returning in this past weekend. We had a great time with some Heathrow lay-over time doing Windsor Castle and then zipping into London to catch the charming Thirty Nine Step comedy during our return flights. With more experience with Terminal 5, I'm impressed with its design and how it's working after this added experience compared to our quick passing through in 2008. Below are more details from our trip below. Here's is also a picture I took in Terminal 5. It's like a shopping-dining mall that happens, by chance, to have an airline terminal running through it.

THANKS for the British hospitality while we were in the UK! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

The new Terminal 5 at Heathrow has a unique, large roof span over this massive area that is in part a massive shopping-dining mall and, oh yea, a new 21st Century airport gateway/hub. Things worked smoothly for us at this massive facility. Nice and interesting design touches by the architect, Norman Foster.:

HeathrowTerminal5.jpg

I think the immediate problem is not the possibility of a BA strike but of a BAA strike, the airport authority. They are currently being balloted by their union to strike. If they do it will close both Heathrow and Gatwick to all flights, not just BA.

Archived