BA, UK Strikes Coming?

I think it's clear that there will be some NYC to Heathrow flights. It's one of BA's most important long-haul routes (if not the most important), so even if your flight is cancelled it will just be a case of asking to go onto some other flight. There are so many JFK-Heathrow flights every day between all airlines that I think you'd be unlucky to find that there is no space at all. And even then, don't forget to ask about a Newark flight.

I have been using the City airport to NY flight which clears customs in Shannon.It's great not having to stand in line at NY

We tried to check with BA on Saturday - got the list of on and off flights (ours is "off" so we must reschedule) from the website but unable to contact anyone by phone because "our offices are open from Monday to Friday...blah di blah di blah" Now, perhaps I'm being unreasonable here, but wouldn't you think they could have some sort of cover to take phone calls at this time?

Now, perhaps I'm being unreasonable here, but wouldn't you think they could have some sort of cover to take phone calls at this time?
From the BA website:-
Reservations and general enquiries

Tel: +33 0825 825 400 (0.15€/mn)

09:00 - 18:00 Monday - Friday

09:00 - 14:00 Saturday

Extended opening hours from 14 May:

08:00 - 20:00 Monday - Friday

09:00 - 15:00 Saturday - Sunday

If you still can't get through, try calling the UK call centres. UK numbers 0800 727 800 and 0844 493 0 787 if you have a calling service that can get through to them; otherwise try +44 191 490 7901.

More details emerging (but further information will no doubt be forthcoming in the next few hours, including whether the union will appeal):-

BA wins High Court ban on cabin crew strikes

British Airways has won a High Court injunction to stop the latest strikes by its cabin staff.

The decision was based on a technicality and whether Unite followed rules in contacting its members with strike result details.

The first of four five-day walkouts had been due to begin at midnight, but will not go ahead following Mr Justice McCombe's decision.

The union had previously said it would appeal if BA was successful in court.

After the court decision BA said: "We are delighted for our customers that Unite's plans for extreme and unjustified strike action cannot go ahead."

It also apologised to some customers who were due to travel during the early days of the union's industrial action and will see flights affected.

"Ash disruption permitting, we will aim to restore a full flying programme at Heathrow by the weekend. We will also offer a full programme at Gatwick and London City, as planned," it added.

For those who are travelling between 24 and 29 May inclusive, BA has now confirmed its schedules for those days - see this page.

If a flight of yours has been cancelled, remember to consider all your options, including asking BA to rebook you on another airline (at BA's expense):-

What are my rebooking options now?

If your flight is cancelled you can:

• rebook onto another British Airways flight on the same route within 355 days from the date you change your booking of the original date of travel at no extra charge, subject to availability.

OR

• rebook onto another British Airways flight to/from the nearest alternative airport (for example, if booked to/from Boston you could rebook to/from Philadelphia or New York) at no extra charge, subject to availability.

OR

• rebook onto an agreed alternative airline, subject to availability.

OR

• cancel your booking and obtain a refund to the original form of payment.

I can't find out about my june 5th return flight till June 1st and unfortunately I will be on a cruise ship, my may 25th was cancelled and spent 3 hrs on hold, to rebook it, now I will have to try to get my sister to rebook my june 5th flight for 7 of us. This has been a nightmare, hope that volcano doesn't add any more trouble.

jean

From the BA website:-If you still can't get through, try calling the UK call centres. UK numbers 0800 727 800 and 0844 493 0 787 if you have a calling service that can get through to them; otherwise try +44 191 490 7901.

Thanks for that Globaliser, If I were Mr.Walsh I'd sack the lot of 'em. Is it true that they have different (better) pay and conditions than even the staff based at Gatwick. They seem to want to take England back to the pre-Thatcher days where the unions had a stranglehold over business. Terry in Ohio mentioned the fact that the last government wouldn't get involved in the dispute - could this have anything to do with the fact that the unions were huge Labour party donors?

What a mess! My BA flight from Heathrow to Barcelona to begin my cruise the end of the month was cancelled. Dialed the BA number, laid the phone down on speaker function and cleaned the kitchen while waiting. Redirect not the best but I was pleasantly surprised. Went from a 2 hour nonstop to two nonstops with 1 hr 15 minute layover which still get me in only about 2 hours later than originally planned which I can deal with that.

Heading home I have another BA flight from Venice back to Heathrow on June 12 - I will worry about that later. A lot can happen between now and then and we'll have niece's netbook with us to monitor status and on that leg it's different, the cruise will have been over and we'll be on our way home - not as stressful as missing the cruise on the front end!

From Sky News in the UK within the past hour, plus reading other news sites, they have this headline: "BA Flies Reduced Schedule As Crew Strike" with these highlights: "British Airways has said enough of its cabin crew crossed picket lines at Heathrow for it to run a cut-down flight schedule on the first day of a wave of strikes. BA said it was operating more than 60% of its long-haul flights and more than 50% of its short-haul flights to and from Heathrow, as per the contingency plans. A full schedule of flights was departing from Gatwick and London City Airports."

Our BA flights are not till June 29 and July 16, going to and coming from Copenhagen for our Norway Coast cruise. We've got a month plus to see how all of these "battles" work out and impact flight schedules.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/British-Airways-Cabin-Crew-Begin-Wave-Of-Five-Day-Strikes-After-Last-Minute-Peace-Talks-Collapse/Article/201005415637078?lpos=Business_News_Your_Way_Region_1&lid=NewsYourWay_ARTICLE_15637078_British_Airways%3A_Cabin_Crew_Begin_Wave_Of_Five-Day_Strikes_After_Last-Minute_Peace_Talks_Collapse

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Is it true that they have different (better) pay and conditions than even the staff based at Gatwick. They seem to want to take England back to the pre-Thatcher days where the unions had a stranglehold over business.
It is indeed true that the Heathrow cabin crew are on a better deal than those at Gatwick. The Heathrow crew have firmly resisted the idea that they should make the changes that the Gatwick crew made a couple of years ago.

So it's no surprise to see virtually zero support at Gatwick for the striking Heathrow cabin crew - which is why BA could confidently announce well in advance that Gatwick operations would be normal.

You're also right about the stranglehold. Before the March strikes, a circular from the union that was attempting to boost morale listed the supposed grievances against management. The most striking one was the complaint that "Management want trade unions that accept their right to manage".

FFS, who do they think has the right to manage the business?

From Sky News in the UK within the past hour, plus reading other news sites, they have this headline: "BA Flies Reduced Schedule As Crew Strike" with these highlights: "British Airways has said enough of its cabin crew crossed picket lines at Heathrow for it to run a cut-down flight schedule on the first day of a wave of strikes. BA said it was operating more than 60% of its long-haul flights and more than 50% of its short-haul flights to and from Heathrow, as per the contingency plans. A full schedule of flights was departing from Gatwick and London City Airports."
Like last time, more cabin crew have been turning up for work than are needed (alongside the volunteers) to operate the contingency schedule, which therefore looks pretty robust. BA is looking to increase the flying programme again.

It is indeed true that the Heathrow cabin crew are on a better deal than those at Gatwick. The Heathrow crew have firmly resisted the idea that they should make the changes that the Gatwick crew made a couple of years ago. Like last time, more cabin crew have been turning up for work than are needed (alongside the volunteers) to operate the contingency schedule, which therefore looks pretty robust. BA is looking to increase the flying programme again.

THANKS for the update and added background information on Gatwick versus Heathrow conditions! Overall, the news stories don't seem to reflect the problems to be that massive compared to the earlier rounds these strikes.

From the Wall Street Journal, they have this headline on a story by their London-based correspondent: "BA Strike Grounds Jumbo Jets" with these highlights: "With fewer flight attendants turning up for work due to the industrial action at London's Heathrow Airport, the U.K. flag carrier has chosen not to operate some of its 49 747 aircraft, which require a higher minimum number of crew to operate than some other planes. A 747 requires a minimum of 14 crew compared with a minimum of only eight on 777s, while the two aircraft can carry the same number of passengers, said a spokesman for British Airways. BA deploys 747s only on long-haul routes. The majority of BA's 747s still were flying, the spokesman said, while all 46 of the carrier's 777s remained in service."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704026204575266071737594724.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection

Terry in Ohio

As always, never believe everything (perhaps anything) you read in a newspaper.

The primary reason why 777s are being favoured in the contingency schedule is because (for simplicity) the volunteers have all been trained on this aircraft type. The 777s carry fewer passengers than the 747s, although the difference depends on configuration. Taking seatguru.com's numbers, the two main configurations of 747 carry 329 and 291 passengers; the two main configurations of 777 (also normally used only on long-haul routes) carry 272 and 229 passengers.

As always, never believe everything (perhaps anything) you read in a newspaper. The primary reason why 777s are being favoured in the contingency schedule is because (for simplicity) the volunteers have all been trained on this aircraft type. The 777s carry fewer passengers than the 747s, although the difference depends on configuration. Taking seatguru.com's numbers, the two main configurations of 747 carry 329 and 291 passengers; the two main configurations of 777 (also normally used only on long-haul routes) carry 272 and 229 passengers.

THANKS for the added info from Globaliser on the practical aspects of the 747's versus 777's! I have a little more confidence in "SOME" of what I read from better news media sources. Here's the latest breaking news updates.

From Reuters newswire within the past hour, they have this headline: "BA and Unite strike talks to resume on Friday" with these highlights: "Cabin attendants are in the final day of a five-day strike, protesting over reduced staffing levels and cuts to benefits. A new five-day walkout is due to begin on Sunday, with a further five-day stoppage set to start on June 5. (BA) said that in the event of another 5-day strike next week, its longhaul schedule at London's Heathrow airport would be increased to more than 70 percent of flights, from 60 percent this week."

From the BBC, they have this headline: "BA strike: Talks set to resume" with these highlights: "The two sides are locked in a row over pay, work conditions and travel perks. Hundreds of flights have been cancelled because of the five-day walk-out though BA says it is flying 70% of passengers. The current round of negotiations are being held in a secret location after talks at the weekend had to be halted when protesters stormed the building."

Full stories:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE64R1JK20100528

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/10179738.stm

Terry in Ohio

(BA) said that in the event of another 5-day strike next week, its longhaul schedule at London's Heathrow airport would be increased to more than 70 percent of flights, from 60 percent this week.
One interesting thing: the LHR-JFK schedule is operating in full during the next strike period - all six flights each day.

BA has now confirmed the schedule for the rest of the period of the announced strikes. In the last 5-day period, long-haul flights operated from Heathrow will increase to over 80% of the schedule, and short-haul flights will increase to 60%. See the Cabin crew strike - latest information page for more details, including a link to the arrivals and departures page where you can check specific flights.

As before, all London Gatwick and London City flights will operate as normal.

BA has now confirmed the schedule for the rest of the period of the announced strikes. In the last 5-day period, long-haul flights operated from Heathrow will increase to over 80% of the schedule, and short-haul flights will increase to 60%. See the Cabin crew strike - latest information page for more details, including a link to the arrivals and departures page where you can check specific flights. As before, all London Gatwick and London City flights will operate as normal.

THANKS, Globaliser, for the update and added information! Have they announced yet whether one of these strike periods will be in June 28-30 period when we have a BA flight scheduled from Heathrow to Copenhagen?

From the BBC within the past few hours, they have this headline: "BA strike into fourth day after latest talks break up" with these highlights: "With another day to go in this block of strike action, BA has already said it is prepared for the next five-day run of industrial action, which is due to start on Saturday, and throughout that plans to fly more than three-quarters of customers who booked flights. One key sticking point is the travel perks given to crew. Unite is demanding that BA reinstates the travel perks of striking workers, and cancels disciplinary proceedings against others."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/10211971.stm

Terry in Ohio

• 3 weeks later...

With our British Airways flights scheduled June 30 and July 16 involving Heathrow and Copenhagen to reach our July 1-16 cruise and return, these stories appear to indicate there will not be an strike action in the next few weeks. Good news for us, but it still leaves an uncertain situation for others later in the summer, maybe.

From the Guardian in London today, they have this headline: "Unite plans third holiday strike, blaming 'vindictive' British Airways" with these highlights: "Unite, Britain's largest trade union, has completed preparations for the vote and could send notice of it to BA as soon as tomorrow, which would mean voting begins in seven days' time. If BA's flight attendants vote for strike action for the third time in seven months, it could begin as soon as 3 August, hitting the peak summer holiday season"

From the Telegraph in London, they have this headline: "British Airways braced for third round of strikes" with these highlights: "If a motion for industrial action were passed, the earliest time that the strike could take place would be on August 3, during peak summer holiday season."

Full stories at:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jun/20/unite-plans-third-holiday-strike-british-airways

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/7842735/British-Airways-braced-for-third-round-of-strikes.html

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Good News!!!

:D:D:D:D

Last updated 21:15 - 27 June 2010

Unite have announced the cabin crew ballot for the latest industrial action will be postponed.

We welcome today's statement from the Unite leadership. We believe our offer is fair and reasonable and provides a genuine opportunity to end this dispute.

We will update ba.com when we have further information.

This was copied from ba.com web site

Archived