Complicated RCI Visa Upgrade Question

I have a question for all my fellow CC members...

We booked our upcoming cruise back when they were running the "Book an Oceanview, Get a Balcony" promotion, so the price of the balcony room we are in was the same value as the minimum oceanview category. I also applied an RCI Visa certificate to upgrade from an interior to an oceanview.

There's now been a price drop for the interior stateroom category, which is what we are priced at, since we used the RCI Visa Certificate. When I called C&A, they said they would contact the Visa folks because it gets complicated with these matters. After about 5 minutes on hold a different rep (for Visa instead of C&A) picked up. He said they could do the price drop, but EVERYTHING would be reconfigured to now. So we'd end up in an oceanview, losing the balcony, unless we wanted to pay to upgrade for the difference at the current prices.

What gives? This seems to give the customers who use the certificates to upgrade the short end of the stick. Does what I was told sound right to you? I know many people report conflicting information from the reps. Is it worth calling back? I know that's worked for some, but I always have a fear that they'll read notes in my account and think I'm trying to be sneaky... I just want to make sure if we're entitled to the price drop, we receive it.

Thanks in advance!

You were getting a balcony for the price of an OV? What was wrong with that?

I'm not trying to start a flame war here... and I don't appreciate you trying to light a fire. I asked a question. If you do not know the answer, then there is no need to respond.

I have a question for all my fellow CC members...

We booked our upcoming cruise back when they were running the "Book an Oceanview, Get a Balcony" promotion, so the price of the balcony room we are in was the same value as the minimum oceanview category. I also applied an RCI Visa certificate to upgrade from an interior to an oceanview.

There's now been a price drop for the interior stateroom category, which is what we are priced at, since we used the RCI Visa Certificate. When I called C&A, they said they would contact the Visa folks because it gets complicated with these matters. After about 5 minutes on hold a different rep (for Visa instead of C&A) picked up. He said they could do the price drop, but EVERYTHING would be reconfigured to now. So we'd end up in an oceanview, losing the balcony, unless we wanted to pay to upgrade for the difference at the current prices.

What gives? This seems to give the customers who use the certificates to upgrade the short end of the stick. Does what I was told sound right to you? I know many people report conflicting information from the reps. Is it worth calling back? I know that's worked for some, but I always have a fear that they'll read notes in my account and think I'm trying to be sneaky... I just want to make sure if we're entitled to the price drop, we receive it.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there! I used points to reserve a cruise on 9/5/2010 on Serenade out of San Juan. I was asking to use it as the "Fare for two" on a 7-night Caribbean. This gives you an Ocean View cabin. I asked for the difference in price for a balcony and was told about $320. I said "ok" and booked it on March 30th.

Since then the price of that E3 cabin has dropped and I called RC and they gladly "fixed" it for me (around 4/17).... now paying $232.

Since that date, they are offering a resident discount on higher category cabins. After searching the website for cabin categories and cabin numbers, I called and moved from an E3 ocean view to a D1 ocean view for a $16 price drop! Melinda, the rep, was more than helpful.

I was informed that the same amount of certificates could be used as "money off" a different itinerary (I was inquiring about Bermuda originally). However, when used as money off the fare versus the actual cruise fare for two in the Caribbean, the value is figured differently. Melinda also informed me that as the price of the cabins drop, so does the value of the certificate.

Maybe that is what is happening in your case, but, I certainly would make another phone call to be sure!!

Archived