venice to milan by train

sachcan9

hello everyone,

we will be culminating our cruise at Venice and are then planning on taking a train to Milan where we will stay for one night before flying back to the states.

I have done some basic research on the trains but realize that there are several options. Can anyone give me some detailed information on the best option to do this? I'd like to not spend too much money on this if possible (1st class is not necessary).

Also, what are the logistics behind getting off the shop in venice and going to the train station with luggage? what's the distance? do we need a taxi?

Thanks,

Tamir

There are high speed, higher priced trains and slower, regional trains. Unfortunately, there are about three times as many of the fast trains as the slower regional ones.

The fast trains go from Venice to Milan in about two and a half hours, and cost Euro 30,50 in second class.

The slower regional trains take three and a half hours and cost Euro 14,44. There are only three of these each day, at 11:03 AM, 3:04 PM and 5:05 PM.

As for getting to the train station, the Venice Santa Lucia station is on the other side of the canal, where there are no car routes. Therefore, you need to get yourself and your luggage across the water either on a boat (vaporetto or water taxi) or on foot (across a high bridge with steps on both sides).

The land based option would be to take a taxi to the Venice Mestre train station and leave from there. Much simpler and easier, in my opinion.

Just in case you haven't found this out yet ...

The Milan international airport, Malpensa, is quite aways out of town. There is train service there, BUT it does not use the main train station (it's end of the line is the Cadorna station). An alternative is the take the train from the main station (Centrale) to Gallarate and a shuttle bus from there to the airport.

There is coach (bus) service from the main train station to the airport, however.

As for getting to the train station, the Venice Santa Lucia station is on the other side of the canal, where there are no car routes. Therefore, you need to get yourself and your luggage across the water either on a boat (vaporetto or water taxi) or on foot (across a high bridge with steps on both sides).

The land based option would be to take a taxi to the Venice Mestre train station and leave from there. Much simpler and easier, in my opinion.

How long is the walk?

How long is the walk?

From the cruise ship to train station it is about 20 minutes. Slightly uphill for about 1000 feet, then level, then downhill, the over the new bridge (easy stairs to negotiate even with luggage).

Just in case you haven't found this out yet ...

The Milan international airport, Malpensa, is quite aways out of town. There is train service there, BUT it does not use the main train station (it's end of the line is the Cadorna station). An alternative is the take the train from the main station (Centrale) to Gallarate and a shuttle bus from there to the airport.

There is coach (bus) service from the main train station to the airport, however.

I do realize that malpensa is quite a ways out of town. I was hoping to fly out of linate but not such luck. Do you happen to know how much it would be to get a taxi?

also, If I buy a 24 hour vaparetto pass the new before (we are docking overnight in venice) I should be able to use it to get over to the train station right?

I do realize that malpensa is quite a ways out of town. I was hoping to fly out of linate but not such luck. Do you happen to know how much it would be to get a taxi?

also, If I buy a 24 hour vaparetto pass the new before (we are docking overnight in venice) I should be able to use it to get over to the train station right?

Sorry, I don't know the taxi fare to the South Helvetica (er, I mean MIlan Malpensa) airport.

I don't think the water buses service the port, do they?

Note: I've spent quite a bit of time in Italy, but have never cruised there.

As we will be doing the reverse; we will be coming from Milan to Venice by train to St. Lucia, then walk over the bridge and hopefully will catch a MSC shuttle bus to the cruise terminal, if not, will taxi. Having said that, we will be staying one night in Milan after our 1st leg of cruise (east med.), and we will stay in one of the hotel near the Centrale Station, there is a shuttle bus to/from Malpensa from the Centrale Stn and it runs every 20 minutes. So if you stay around the train station, it is a best way.

http://www.malpensashuttle.it/e-fermate.htm

Archived