What to do in St. John NB

We will be in Saint John on Monday, September 27th (NCL Spirit - 9/25 to 10/9 R/T). I rented a car so we could explore on our own, and specifically walk the ocean floor at low tides. Now I notice the low tide for that day is at 8:49AM. I don't see how we can possible leave the ship (at 8AM, considering we are on time), get our rental car, and drive to the area in time. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Are there other places where it would be worthwhile to have a rental car, or should we just stick to walking around on our own? Thanks for any comments!

We will be in Saint John on Monday, September 27th (NCL Spirit - 9/25 to 10/9 R/T). I rented a car so we could explore on our own, and specifically walk the ocean floor at low tides. Now I notice the low tide for that day is at 8:49AM. I don't see how we can possible leave the ship (at 8AM, considering we are on time), get our rental car, and drive to the area in time. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Are there other places where it would be worthwhile to have a rental car, or should we just stick to walking around on our own? Thanks for any comments!

Actually the low tide that day in St. Martin's is 8:58. Take comfort in knowing that when low tide hits, high tide doesn't immediately follow - there is "slack tide" - you'll be fine if you head out there straight away. You'll be docking at Long Wharf as opposed to the main cruise ship terminal - so the walk to AVIS or Enterprise is 10-15 minutes. I would call your rental car provider to make sure all paper work is ready to go and you just need to sign and drive (or better yet, see if they will meet you at the gate with the car). It is a 50 minute drive to St. Martin's. So I would say have early breakfast and be first at gangway + know prior to arriving your driving route.

Actually the low tide that day in St. Martin's is 8:58. Take comfort in knowing that when low tide hits, high tide doesn't immediately follow - there is "slack tide" - you'll be fine if you head out there straight away. You'll be docking at Long Wharf - so the walk to AVIS or Enterprise is 10-15 minutes. I would call your rental car provider to make sure all paper work is ready to go and you just need to sign and drive (or better yet, see if they will meet you at the gate with the car). It is a 50 minute drive to St. Martin's. So I would say have early breakfast and be forst at gangway.

Well that eases my mind - thank you Acey! I have reserved through Enterprise (132 Station Street), which I understand will pick us up. I will definitely call and get the paperwork straightened out ahead of time. BTW, your previous information on Saint John has been invaluable!

Annie & Les

Acey, thanks for the port info. I'm a little confused because Princess also lists the port times as 8-5, but I was told that Princess doesn't make the time change to Atlantic. I'm thinking that might mean we arrive in port at 7am Eastern time. I need to research this further. I'm sticking to my plan of renting a car and going to St. Andrews because low tide is 7:33 in St. Martins and we wouldn't be able to get all we want out of the place. St. Andrews looks very charming and I always love driving and seeing new places. I won't reserve any whale watching tours in advance, we'll just go with the flow.

I just spoke to Princess. Yes, the ship stays on Eastern time even though you are in Atlantic time. We arrive 7am eastern time which is 8am Atlantic time and depart 4pm eastern, 5pm Atlantic. Gee..I wonder how many people are late getting back?

As a local my recommendation is to NOT rent a car unless you are going to St. Martin's. All the attractions you'll want to see in Saint John are near the ship so you can do it on foot. Reversing Falls however is a 30-50 minute walk depending on your speed, or else a bus ride $2.50 or taxi approx. $7

Busses are frequent.

We have been thinking about renting bikes and touring either St Johns or Halifax. We will be in St Johns on 7/19. Not interested in doing a excursion through the ship, just renting bikes and making a great day of it. I printed a map of the Fundy Trail and was wondering how doable this is. Plus, I am confused about where the Reversing Falls are. Are they accessible from the Trail? The island we don't rides bikes, I think we are going to do our own pub crawl. This trip will be me(40) and dh(42).

Thanks for any advice you can give.

We have been thinking about renting bikes and touring either St Johns or Halifax. We will be in St Johns on 7/19. Not interested in doing a excursion through the ship, just renting bikes and making a great day of it. I printed a map of the Fundy Trail and was wondering how doable this is. Plus, I am confused about where the Reversing Falls are. Are they accessible from the Trail? The island we don't rides bikes, I think we are going to do our own pub crawl. This trip will be me(40) and dh(42).

Thanks for any advice you can give.

The Reversing Falls are in Saint John accessable by Harbour Passage walking/biking trail. The Fundy Trail is 50 minutes away in St. Martins. In previous years you can rent bikes at Loyalist Plaza a few minutes walk from ship (an ambassador will guide you to plaza) - I'm assuming the bike rental people will be back this year, but I do not know for sure.

The Reversing Falls are in Saint John accessable by Harbour Passage walking/biking trail. The Fundy Trail is 50 minutes away in St. Martins. In previous years you can rent bikes at Loyalist Plaza a few minutes walk from ship (an ambassador will guide you to plaza) - I'm assuming the bike rental people will be back this year, but I do not know for sure.

Thanks for the response. I found your post with all the great information about St. Johns. I did make a note about renting bikes at Loyalist Plaza. Now I understand that Harbour Passage Trail and Fundy Trail are seperate. We will probably see how the day is (weather) and then decide if we want to rent bikes. I will continue to research and may have more questions for you.

Can anyone give me any information about the Moosehead Brewery tour? Also, how far is it from the pier. Thanks in advance.

You can no longer tour the brewery due to "safety and security concerns" - the tour has been renamed Moosehead Beer Tasting and City Highlights - basically meet you at cruise terminal, show you around city and then to a local pub for beer and music.

Bopnnie - sorry to ask again, but now I am confused. We are on the Caribbean Princess this August. The ship in in port from 8 am to 5 pm. Do you think that means 7 am to 4 pm local time OR do you think it means 9 am to 6 pm local time? If it's the first one, we are golden. Island Marine told me that we can do the regular 10 am trip if we can get there by 9:30 or we can do the slightly more expensive tour via the faster boat at 10:30. I know they have to get back with that one, because they have a 1 pm tour. THANKS. Doesn't your head hurt thinking about this? Mine does.

No, Princess does not offer anything like this, or I would do it. I just cannot imagine being on teh bay of Fundy, possibly thebest known place in the world for whale watching and then not going whale watching. Just strikes me as crazy!

I thjink we are also going to go in Bar Harbour because it looks like the puffins might be better, if the ride rougher.

Bopnnie - sorry to ask again, but now I am confused. We are on the Caribbean Princess this August. The ship in in port from 8 am to 5 pm. Do you think that means 7 am to 4 pm local time OR do you think it means 9 am to 6 pm local time? If it's the first one, we are golden. Island Marine told me that we can do the regular 10 am trip if we can get there by 9:30 or we can do the slightly more expensive tour via the faster boat at 10:30. I know they have to get back with that one, because they have a 1 pm tour. THANKS. Doesn't your head hurt thinking about this? Mine does.

No, Princess does not offer anything like this, or I would do it. I just cannot imagine being on teh bay of Fundy, possibly thebest known place in the world for whale watching and then not going whale watching. Just strikes me as crazy!

I thjink we are also going to go in Bar Harbour because it looks like the puffins might be better, if the ride rougher.

Your ship is in port 8:00 - 5:00 Local Time.

If the times "worked out" - local tour companies like Freedom would offer the excursion and the cruise line would definately offer the excursion to maximize profits. The fact that they do not offer the tour would make me very cautious of booking it on my own as the tour operators determined it's too rushed.

I called Princess. We are in port 8-5 Atlantic time, but it's actually 7-4 eastern time which the ship is on. What I'm going to do is get the car, drive to St. Andrews and try for the zodiac boat tour. I can't reserve in advance because you don't get a refund if late. Maybe I'll call them when I'm on the road and see where we're at time wise. If they have room and it's a matter of minutes, maybe they will wait. I see that our cruise is right before yours. I can email u from the ship and let u know how it works out.

I just received a great visitor guide from Saint John. You can either view it on line (virtual guide) or have one sent to you. Go to:

http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/index.cfm?event=page.view&filename=guide.cfm

It has loads of information as well as maps.

Acey, it appears there is a First Nation's festival September 20-27. Have you attended this, and is it something we should make a point to see while we are in Saint John?

Annie & Les

I just received a great visitor guide from Saint John. You can either view it on line (virtual guide) or have one sent to you. Go to:

http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/index.cfm?event=page.view&filename=guide.cfm

It has loads of information as well as maps.

Acey, it appears there is a First Nation's festival September 20-27. Have you attended this, and is it something we should make a point to see while we are in Saint John?

Annie & Les

We never had this festival before - I believe it's part of the city's 225 year old birthday celebrations held throughout the year.

I called Princess. We are in port 8-5 Atlantic time, but it's actually 7-4 eastern time which the ship is on. What I'm going to do is get the car, drive to St. Andrews and try for the zodiac boat tour. I can't reserve in advance because you don't get a refund if late. Maybe I'll call them when I'm on the road and see where we're at time wise. If they have room and it's a matter of minutes, maybe they will wait. I see that our cruise is right before yours. I can email u from the ship and let u know how it works out.

Saint John is undergoing major roadwork all over the city, which will last all summer. The Harbour Bridge is down to one lane which causes horrendous backups all over the uptown area during rush hour. You will have to factor this in when you plan your return from St. Andrews.

Kayla's mom, No problem. Just a suggestion if the whale tour doesn't work out. The low tide on the day you are there is at 1:30pm. You might consider St. Martin's and the Fundy trailway. The low tide on my day is at 7:33. If I knew I would be there at low tide, I would of done St. Martin's instead of St. Andrews. St. Andrew's does seem like a nice town to walk around though, more to do.

Sapper1 --

Thank you so much for all of the helpful information. Your postings are invaluable to we, the tourists.

My question relates to the roadwork that you described. We will be in Saint John on October 6, and we plan to spend our day in St. Andrews. Is the construction expected to be finished by then, or could it still impact us in October?

Thanks for the help.

Shelley:)

Kayla's mom, No problem. Just a suggestion if the whale tour doesn't work out. The low tide on the day you are there is at 1:30pm. You might consider St. Martin's and the Fundy trailway. The low tide on my day is at 7:33. If I knew I would be there at low tide, I would of done St. Martin's instead of St. Andrews. St. Andrew's does seem like a nice town to walk around though, more to do.

Notice from City re bridge

Harbour Bridge Construction

The Harbour Bridge is undergoing major reconstruction in 2010 and 2011. That means traffic is reduced to one lane in each direction. This year’s project focuses on the West-bound lanes of the bridge. Expect traffic delays, particularly at peak hours.

Here’s what you can do to help make this construction period easier on everyone:

• Ask for flex hours at work. If you can avoid the bridge at peak commuting hours (7:45 to 9 a.m. and 4 to 6 p.m.), it means a less frustrating commute.

... the bridge authority states construction will be summer and into fall - so it's not clear to me if that includes October 6th. Their # is 506-635-1320 - maybe they can give you an exact date.

We're going to be in Saint John on Sept. 6th, Labor Day in the US. Is Labor Day celebrated in Canada, and if so, will there be businesses closed?

Also, my mother uses a walker to get around and cannot climb hills. Is there any way to get to the old City Market without climbing hills? I read somewhere that there exists some sort of elevator system?

Thanks for any info!

Thanks, Acey. YIKES! Will we have ample time to go to St. Andrews, or will the roadwork make it impossible? We are in port from 9:00 to 6:00, and I don't want the ship to sail without me! Please advise.

Thanks,

Shelley

We're going to be in Saint John on Sept. 6th, Labor Day in the US. Is Labor Day celebrated in Canada, and if so, will there be businesses closed?

Also, my mother uses a walker to get around and cannot climb hills. Is there any way to get to the old City Market without climbing hills? I read somewhere that there exists some sort of elevator system?

Thanks for any info!

It is Labour Day in Canada also; however the city market will be open along with other shops/restaurants uptown to cater to tourists.

As for getting to city market without climbing hill, proceed to Market Square - then you can use escalators using the "Inside Passage" pedway system to city market. The city market is 2 blocks up a hill, although not "steep".

Thanks for any info!

The Saint John City Market is actually built on a hill and the building is actually slanted. So walking through the market is actually an incline. It isn't too steep, but if your mom can't handle hills at all it may be a bit of a challenge to get there and walk through.

Archived