Passport Question for Yukon Rail Tour in Skagway

dinoman

I booked the Yukon Rail+Bus Tour with Chilkoot in Skagway and I just learnt from my TA that HAL will collect and keep our passports upon embarkation and through the cruise. Since we need our passports and visas for the tour which will go pass the US/Canada border, would HAL give our passports back for the tour?

I am so worry that if HAL does not give our passports back for the tour I might have to cancel the tour plus wasting a great deal of money! :confused:

I booked the Yukon Rail+Bus Tour with Chilkoot in Skagway and I just learnt from my TA that HAL will collect and keep our passports upon embarkation and through the cruise.

No cruise line keeps your passport anymore - that policy stopped years ago. You'll have it - in your room safe probably.

No cruise line keeps your passport anymore - that policy stopped years ago. You'll have it - in your room safe probably.

Note that the OP's location is Hong Kong - depending on which country's passport is being used, the ship might keep it. Also, fyi, I know for sure that Crystal ALWAYS keeps all passenger's passports regardless of nationality.

I have been cruised w/Celebrity and NCL before. Celebrity did collect and keep the passports for all passengers, regardless of nationality, but NCL did not. We did not have the problem though back then because there wasn't a tour that involved crossing border. This time under the "Passport and Additional ID" section of the edoc HAL states that:

"On special itineraries, the Front Office on board may require the collection of passports for cruises that travel from country to country to prepare for immigration formalities. You will receive a passport receipt upon collection of your passport, and will be advised on board when the passports will be redistributed. We recommend bringing an additional government-issued photo identification since shore side security requires a photo ID when getting on and off the ship. A photocopy of the picture ID is not acceptable."

Since I have no idea on whether the Alaska is one of those 'special itineraries', would someone who had done the same crusie on HAL before tell me what HAL did in handling your passport collection upon embarkation?

I have been cruised w/Celebrity and NCL before. Celebrity did collect and keep the passports for all passengers, regardless of nationality, but NCL did not.

I'm on Celebrity in Alaska right now and have my passport in my cabin.

I have heard multiple reports that HAL do keep international passenger's passports, particularly on Seattle-roundtrip sailings. I think it particularly applies to passengers who require Canadian visas, but may apply to other foreign passport holders, too.

It happens as recent as last year.

The purpose of this is for Canadian officials to stamp on their passport and check their visa validity.

However, this doesn't impact passenger's right to travel into Canada from Skagway.

International passengers can simply go to the front desk to request their passport back for the Skagway daytrip. However, they will have to surrender the passport again, because the stamping by Canadian officials happen right before Victoria stop, and it is usually after the Skagway port of call for most sailings.

In summary, don't worry, and just remember to pick up your passport before getting off ship at Skagway. If you forget to do so, you will be abandoned by local tour operators on the spot and no refund will be made to you.

This is not true for many international passengers.

Many Asian travelers have to surrender their passports on roundtrip sailings from Seattle, so Canadian officials can examine and stamp their passports.

Most visa exempt nationals (American & European) do not need to have their passports stamped by Canadian officials for this type of cruise itinerary, so they don't need to surrender their passports.

I'm on Celebrity in Alaska right now and have my passport in my cabin.

But you are not from Hong Kong. The person asking the question is an international visitor and those passports are often held.

I don't think the passport-keeping policy is selectively applies to passengers of specific nationalities. When I cruised with Celebrity they collected the passports of ALL passengers. I think its quite confused but I understand that it's subject to the requirements of different countries. Thanks for all your inputs and I might just keep reminding the front desk to return our passports for Skagway.

To all OPs, I was just informed by my TA that HAL confirmed they will return the passports to us after check-in, so I have nothing to worry about! :)

Thanks for letting us know. Have a great time!

I'll be on Chilkoot's train/bus tour on the WP&Y RR Skagway to/from Fraser a week from today! I can hardly wait.

I'm pretty sure that passport keeping in Alaska cruise are specific to passenger nationality.

I have been helping my international friends arranging their Alaska cruises for almost five years now. I've heard this happening to more than 10 of my friends.

As I have posted earlier, the passport keeping mostly applies to Seattle roundtrip sailings.

The reason is the ship has to call Victoria or Prince Rupert, and Canadian entry procedure is done behind the scene for most passengers.

To save time, there is no passport inspection when arriving Victoria.

Most passengers are from USA, Canada, and Europe. None of them need Canadian visa and they don't need to be inspected. Canadian officials just check the passenger list and identify those who require visa.

In this case, nationals who need Canadian visa have to surrender their passport before arriving Victoria so the Canadian officials have the opportunity to process the documents and stamp the passports "behind the scene".

This should not apply to a NB, SB, or Vancouver roundtrip cruises, as all passengers go through USA or Canada immigration in Vancouver. No behind-the-scene passport inspection is needed in these cases.

Archived