Eric Resigns!

JaneBP

I can't believe you are talking about CD Jan on the Odyssey. She was lovely, charming, and great fun at the "rock the boat" parties both nights on pool deck. Always gracious when we came and went from tours. Ditto for the ACD.

I can't believe you are talking about CD Jan on the Odyssey. She was lovely, charming, and great fun at the "rock the boat" parties both nights on pool deck. Always gracious when we came and went from tours. Ditto for the ACD.

No,Jan is not the topic of conversation.

The "rock the boat show" is now called "Moving on up show" on the new ships.

I think he was offered one of the larger ships, perhaps more than once, but the role of CD on the Big Sisters is so much different. He's an entertainer foremost. Guess we will miss hearing about his Grandfather, too.

Aw, I'm sad to hear this news.:( We were on the Legend and I was the 'victim' of an after dinner show and Eric with his roller blades which contributed to his 6'4" height - and me 5' - did a little skit that was great fun. He was very professional in his stature, demeanor and personality...and he will be sorely missed.

Just posted by Eric on Facebook-

"It's official! I am the new Cruise Director for the Azamara Journey starting May 23rd - end of September. Thanks to everyone for ALL your best wishes in this transitionary time in my life. You are all so great and so thoughtful!"

Host Dan

Azamara seems to be pulling in quite a few senior Seabourn staff. I suspect they are offering significant pay increases in doing so. Plus possible promotions onto Celebrity, with the potential for even bigger salaries.

I suspect they are offering significant pay increases in doing so. Plus possible promotions onto Celebrity, with the potential for even bigger salaries.

I don't think so.Going to Azamara is a downward step,but keeps Eric in a job.Seabourn were not going to further Erics career by putting him on the newer ships, as they are taking a different approach to entertainment on the ships.

I don't think so.Going to Azamara is a downward step,but keeps Eric in a job.Seabourn were not going to further Erics career by putting him on the newer ships, as they are taking a different approach to entertainment on the ships.

Interesting. Although if the size of the ship is a coefficient of salary, Azmara Journey is bigger than Sojourn. We sailed on Odyssey and Legend within the same year, and I didn't see an obvious difference in the role of the CDs. On both ships, the CD was a featured entertainer, a host for trivia, and the "social voice" of the ship over the public address system. Certainly, the Odyssey had more entertainers, so the CD's performance there didn't have quite the singular emphasis of Erik on Legend. Nor could it, given the fading talent involved. Before sailing on these two ships I would not have imagined that a CD could have as much impact on the ships's personality as they do. Negative as well as positive.(Admittedly, we haven't taken as many cruises as most of the posters here.) If the marketing goal is to attract younger pax to the larger ships, putting an aging CD on a larger ship is inconsistent with that logic. Even more so when even a casual reading of posts here seems to indicate that the more experienced Seabourn cruisers seem to prefer the smaller ships. Which is to say that even if such cruisers prefer the Odyssey CD they would be unlikely to follow him to the larger ship. Just a case of corporate logic, perhaps?

Lord/Seas-How can going to a larger ship with potentially more duties and a better salary be a "downward" step? I'm afraid you are confusing your personal cruise line preferences with a career move that may be good for Eric from a professional point of view. Seabourn was clearly a dead end for him. BTW-there are other Seabourn staff onboard or going to Azamara. I can't imagine they are all taking a "downward" step.

Lord/Seas-How can going to a larger ship with potentially more duties and a better salary be a "downward" step? I'm afraid you are confusing your personal cruise line preferences with a career move that may be good for Eric from a professional point of view. Seabourn was clearly a dead end for him. BTW-there are other Seabourn staff onboard or going to Azamara. I can't imagine they are all taking a "downward" step.

Yes,perhaps I could have said a sideways step.

Good for Eric to find a position with another line as he had come to the end of the line with Seabourn.Not sure that he is going to get more money with Azamara but at least he has employment.He has many followers,although I don't think that many hard core Seabourners will be sailing with Azamara,it is a totally different product.

even if such cruisers prefer the Odyssey CD they would be unlikely to follow him to the larger ship. Just a case of corporate logic, perhaps?

You are right with this comment.

I like both sizes of ship but the smaller will win every time.Seabourn have changed the cruise directors roll slightly on the newer ships and intend to bring more talent onto the ship by way of land based entertainers.The CD does still get involved with the general trivia type of activities but has been told to cut down the "Fly me to the moon" routine.

I think that if a CD like John Barron, who just happens to have a great voice wants to do a bit of singing at a deck party then that's fine by me but the CD should not give us a rendition of "Mack the knife" if his voice is not up to it.

What a great thing the comment card is,keep filling them in!!`

The big difference for Eric will be more administrative duties on a larger ship and that is what his pay will be based on, not his entertainment value. CDs on the really large ships can make $250K or more, which I'm sure exceeds Seabourn's CD salaries severalfold.

The big difference for Eric will be more administrative duties on a larger ship and that is what his pay will be based on, not his entertainment value. CDs on the really large ships can make $250K or more, which I'm sure exceeds Seabourn's CD salaries severalfold.

As someone that has only had one opportunity to watch and enjoy Eric in action I feel very confident that where every this very talented and organized person goes he will be a great benefit to both his employers and to their guests. Go for it Eric, you deserve the best!

Guy & Shirley

As someone that has only had one opportunity to watch and enjoy Eric in action I feel very confident that where every this very talented and organized person goes he will be a great benefit to both his employers and to their guests. Go for it Eric' date=' you deserve the best![/color']

Guy & Shirley

We share in your feelings Shirley.

Erik is now the second CD or ACD who has moved over to Azamara. Russ Grieve, who has been on the Pride and Spirit and was brought on to help out on the World cruise on the Odyssey is now the cruise director on Azamara Quest. I have spoken to him and trust me, it is quite the opposite of a downward move. Russ was a great asset on the world cruise and will also be one to Azamara, I am sure.

Archived