Need help with Norway bus schedules

I am asking help from anyone who knows how to read the Norwegian bus schedules. I have tried several times to figure it out. I am looking at making a circle from Flam to Myrdal via the Flaabana, then the train from Myrdal to Voss, and then the bus to Gudvangen and then take the ferry back to Flam. We could do the reverse of this if the times were better. We will leave the rental car in Flam while we are doing this. We will be traveling Sept. 5 which is a Sunday unless there is a way to divide this up between two days and stay overnight someplace along the route. We will be driving to Flam from Oslo on the 4th. In this case we would start in the afternoon of the 4th and end on the 5th.

My problem is trying to read the schedule. I clicked the change language to English but it still doesn't make sense. What I need are the available times the bus runs from Gudvangen to Voss and from Voss to Gudvagen for those two dates: Sept. 4 and 5. We can do this circle in either direction. I have the Flaabana, the train, and the ferry figured out; it is the bus that is stumping me.

If there is another website that can straighten this out for me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Pearl

I am asking help from anyone who knows how to read the Norwegian bus schedules. I have tried several times to figure it out. I am looking at making a circle from Flam to Myrdal via the Flaabana, then the train from Myrdal to Voss, and then the bus to Gudvangen and then take the ferry back to Flam. We could do the reverse of this if the times were better. We will leave the rental car in Flam while we are doing this. We will be traveling Sept. 5 which is a Sunday unless there is a way to divide this up between two days and stay overnight someplace along the route. We will be driving to Flam from Oslo on the 4th. In this case we would start in the afternoon of the 4th and end on the 5th.

My problem is trying to read the schedule. I clicked the change language to English but it still doesn't make sense. What I need are the available times the bus runs from Gudvangen to Voss and from Voss to Gudvagen for those two dates: Sept. 4 and 5. We can do this circle in either direction. I have the Flaabana, the train, and the ferry figured out; it is the bus that is stumping me.

If there is another website that can straighten this out for me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Pearl

Making your life easier:

2009Boudicca31601-vi.jpg

Since you know now the company which operates the bus line... it might be easier to do your researches:

http://www.skyss.no

But unfortunately there are problems with their English translation of schedule sheets (2 pages forgotten!!!) so we need to use the Norwegian:

http://www.skyss.no/Global/Bussruter/Hardanger_Voss%2001052010/900-950_Arna_Voss.pdf

Page 2 and 3 of the pdf-file.

Good luck.

Regards

HeinBloed

Making your life easier But unfortunately there are problems with their English translation of schedule sheets (2 pages forgotten!!!) so we need to use the Norwegian:

http://www.skyss.no/Global/Bussruter/Hardanger_Voss%2001052010/900-950_Arna_Voss.pdf

Page 2 and 3 of the pdf-file. Good luck.

I don't see how this will help the lady. What you show is the schedule from Voss to Gudvangen and back. What she is really interested in is the bus from Gudvangen back to Flam (rather than taking the ferry again).

Do you have any other suggestions? Or am I reading the schedule incorrectly?

I would suggest contacting Nordic Saga, in Seattle, Washington, who specialize in tours of Norway. Their number is 1 800 848 6449 or 1 800 776 3341.

Thanks to both Heinbloed and Lair Bear. I did mean for the bus from Gudvangen to Voss. I had not been on that particular site for the buses, but I still cannot figure out times or prices. Must have not done well in the reading of public transportation tables on our standardized tests.

HeinBloed, don't be too harsh on Lair Bear. He was aware of our Norway trip and was just trying to be helpful.

Lair Bear, I am glad you mentioned Nordic Saga tours as I had found three sites in the US and was wondering which one was good. I will give them a call tomorrow or Monday. I think I found it on the Nutshell website.

I will keep plugging away at this.

Pearl

Okay, I think I found part of the information. I had not clicked on the Norwegian site. I did find Gudvangen to Voss times. This will help. I still think I will call Nordic Saga, lair Bear.

Thanks to you both. I knew I could get the answers here.

Pearl

Ok Heinbloed, you were right. But don't make a big issue out of this. Pearl earlier had indicated that she might want to go from Flamm to Gudvangen by boat and then take the bus back to Flamm.

Pearl, I am glad you got the information you were looking for.

Ok Heinbloed, you were right. But don't make a big issue out of this. Pearl earlier had indicated that she might want to go from Flamm to Gudvangen by boat and then take the bus back to Flamm.

Pearl, I am glad you got the information you were looking for.

Sorry Pearl, I misread your intentions of taking the ferry to Gudvangen, the bus to Voss, the train to Myrdal and then the train to Flamm where your rental car is parked.

This sounds like a nice way to see all of that region in one day.

BTW Heinbloed, I don't know why you seem to dislike every thing I post, but at least I am glad you enjoyed my 'Bruges Walking Tour'.

BTW Heinbloed, I don't know why you seem to dislike every thing I post, but at least I am glad you enjoyed my 'Bruges Walking Tour'.

Sorry to disappoint you:

but I am grown up during my childhood for a couple of month in Bruges and still have relatives there and I called already three times with various cruise ships in Zeebrugge. I was in touch with the ship's agent so I know exactly what I should expect there.

For my plannings there was no need to read anything about it and I did not.

If anyone else finds this post later and is still having trouble...

I've never been able to find clear information about that bus route, but the Skyss.no website looks promising! Unfortunately, I'm posting from my new iPad (:D) which makes it a little hard to do anything too complicated, but I'll do my best and when I get back to Oslo on Sunday I can try to follow up if I goof anything up!

According to the schedule on skyss.no, the bus from Gudvangen to Voss departs on Sundays (look under Søndag) at the following times:

Departing 9:45 - Arriving 10:40

11:40 - 12:55 (runs at this time only between May 1 & September 26)

12:00 - 12:55 (September 27 to April 30)

13:20 - 14:35 (only between June 20 & August 20)

15:40 - 16:55 (May 18 to September 26)

16:36 - 18:28

17:25 - 18:20 (September 27 to April 30)

17:45 - 18:00 (May 1 to September 26)

18:03 - 18:55

21:02 - 21:50

22:27 - 23:15

I believe some of the routes are covered by other bus companies than skyss, but it looks like they list those times as well, with footnotes about which companies are operating the routes.

Also, the information between the first time and the last time on the schedule shows when the bus will be at the stops in between. For example, outside the prime tourism times, the bus doesn't stop at the overlook hotel, which accounts for the 20-minute difference in some of the timings.

-meg

Thanks again, kaisatsu!

Your explanation of the Norwegian helps. I had figured out the days of the week but not the footnotes. I am still having trouble making this work as there is about a half hour gap with the bus to make it work. I will keep plugging away at this. Perhaps I need to look at starting from Gudvangen or Voss instead of Flam. Gudvangen might be the better option and then we can take the car ferry from Gudvangen to Kaupner(or how ever it is spelled) so we can get to Balestrand. With everyone's suggestions I can piecemeal all the parts and hopefully make it work. I have put in an email to fjordtours but have not heard back. I see that Monday is a Norwegian holiday so don't expect an answer before mid week.

Thanks again.

Pearl

Archived