Suspect query from MSC

remi1au

Hi all we have had a query from MSC through our TA asking if we have travel insurance.

Insurance isn't compulsory and as far as I am concerned it is none of their business.

What concerns me is perhaps they are asking this because they may be thinking of amending our cruise and they are trying to establish what the financial impact of this would be, i.e. having to reimburse those that are not insured.

Am I just being paranoid? , is it normal for a cruise line to ask about your insurance status?

cheers

Andy

Hi all we have had a query from MSC through our TA asking if we have travel insurance.

Insurance isn't compulsory and as far as I am concerned it is none of their business.

What concerns me is perhaps they are asking this because they may be thinking of amending our cruise and they are trying to establish what the financial impact of this would be, i.e. having to reimburse those that are not insured.

Am I just being paranoid? , is it normal for a cruise line to ask about your insurance status?

cheers

Andy

hope its nothing serious as we are on the same cruise only had a face to face with our T.A on monday and nothing came up and we have had no communication. will let you know if we here anything might just be trying to sell you insurance i know we had a follow up a couple of weeks ago asking if we had arranged our flights as they now could offer us another deal better than the original offer of $2770

cheers

Andy

Hi the 3 cruise companies we've cruised with have all asked for our Travel Insurance details ie Company, Policy No and the emergency Tele No that they give. I personally wouldn't go on a cruise without a Travel Insurance.

Chalky

Hi the 3 cruise companies we've cruised with have all asked for our Travel Insurance details ie Company, Policy No and the emergency Tele No that they give. I personally wouldn't go on a cruise without a Travel Insurance.

Chalky

Hi Chalky, perhaps it is just standard procedure to ask about insurance, although I did read through MSC's T&C's and could find nothing about being required to be insured.

BTW we are insured, I'm just curious about their motives for asking.

hope its nothing serious as we are on the same cruise only had a face to face with our T.A on monday and nothing came up and we have had no communication. will let you know if we here anything might just be trying to sell you insurance i know we had a follow up a couple of weeks ago asking if we had arranged our flights as they now could offer us another deal better than the original offer of $2770

Hi wotaripper, I hadn't thought of that, perhaps they are just trying to sell us some insurance, I don't know if MSC has a finger in that pie as well:confused:

We haven't been offered any new flight deals, not that it matters as we booked our flights ages ago, can I ask what the new offer was?

We got our flights with Emirates, Perth/Dubai/London and New York/Dubai/Perth for AU$2500 each.:)

Hi wotaripper, I hadn't thought of that, perhaps they are just trying to sell us some insurance, I don't know if MSC has a finger in that pie as well:confused:

We haven't been offered any new flight deals, not that it matters as we booked our flights ages ago, can I ask what the new offer was?

We got our flights with Emirates, Perth/Dubai/London and New York/Dubai/Perth for AU$2500 each.:)

didnt get the details as we too had already booked T.A just said M.S.C could now offer us a cheaper deal now the reduced fares had been released we are flying virgin atlantic hongkong/ manchester and southwest newyork/vegas then vegas to sydney with v australia $2300 each

didnt get the details as we too had already booked T.A just said M.S.C could now offer us a cheaper deal now the reduced fares had been released we are flying virgin atlantic hongkong/ manchester and southwest newyork/vegas then vegas to sydney with v australia $2300 each

Good price! ... you eastern state'rs always seem to get better prices than us in the west ;)

We have been asked to provide insurance details for every cruise we have ever been on - and that is with 6 different companies. Standard policy.

Re wanting the info for amending the cruise and wanting to suss the situation. How many on board? How many policies? As you said, being a bit paranoid.:)

Jeez

Some people are so incredibly suspicious.

Travel Insurance should be mandatory on cruises if it actually is not already (have you read MSCs Ts and Cs?)

Are you aware of the ramifications of an illness, or worse on board both financially and otherwise?

you are not being a bit paranoid, you are being totally, utterly and completely paranoid.

Jeez

Some people are so incredibly suspicious.

Travel Insurance should be mandatory on cruises if it actually is not already (have you read MSCs Ts and Cs?)

Are you aware of the ramifications of an illness, or worse on board both financially and otherwise?

you are not being a bit paranoid, you are being totally, utterly and completely paranoid.

Get off the OPs case - they said they are insured - and if memory serves me correctly this is the cruise that was originally to sail from Venice and was changed to the much more desirable port of Kiel (joke). This was probably after they had already paid the non refundable deposit (as happens when you book in Australia).

Good price! ... you eastern state'rs always seem to get better prices than us in the west ;)

Sometimes we in the West have to be a bit inventive. For example if you fly to Singapore (Tiger) there are lots of cheap fares to Europe. Flying back from the US you can use Air Pacific (via Fiji) who work on one way fares. LA- Sydney one way is about US$800 then pick up the cheapest flight you can from Sydney to Perth. We use SouthWest and Jetblue in the US a lot for internal flights. Delta also fly from mainland US to Hawaii for reasonable rates sometimes and then you can get to Sydney with Hawaiian Air. Sometimes a bit of work saves a lot of $$.

Best way, just cruise all the way :)

Beryl

Get off the OPs case - they said they are insured - and if memory serves me correctly this is the cruise that was originally to sail from Venice and was changed to the much more desirable port of Kiel (joke). This was probably after they had already paid the non refundable deposit (as happens when you book in Australia).

Thankyou kobecate, yes you are correct we have already had our cruise itinerary completely changed after paying of deposits, and yes we are insured (since last year!).

As you said, you can’t get a more profound change to an itinerary than we encountered. Changed from (from memory) Venice, Bari, Valetta, Cadiz, Lisbon, Ponta Delgada, Bermuda, New York and became Kiel, Copenhagen, Southampton, Le Havre, Vigo, Lisbon, Ponta Delgada, Bermuda, New York.

They also changed the ship from the Magnifica to the Poesia.

I am being paranoid, but I think with good reason considering MSC's track record with this cruise so far. :o

Well that makes it all perfectly fine then.

Why is it that a simple and utterly reasonable question from the cruise company engenders suspicion regarding ulterior motives, thoughts of conspiracy theories and, to quote the OP "As far as I am concerned it's none of their business".

Well FYI it is the cruise companies ship, and it is their business.

I may be wrong on this one, but I was led to believe that insurance is compulsory.

Well that makes it all perfectly fine then.

Why is it that a simple and utterly reasonable question from the cruise company engenders suspicion regarding ulterior motives, thoughts of conspiracy theories and, to quote the OP "As far as I am concerned it's none of their business".

Well FYI it is the cruise companies ship, and it is their business.

I may be wrong on this one, but I was led to believe that insurance is compulsory.

We have been on many cruises, though not with MSC, and have never been asked if we have insurance. We always do have insurance but never been asked. If all of a sudden we were asked to provide insurance details, we would also probably wonder why that information was being requested. And believe we I am not paranoid, but one can not be blamed for being a little suspicious of large companies and their motives.

Beryl

• 3 weeks later...

In Europe it is customary to travel with Insurance even though we are covered by many countries health insurance schemes.

If you are taken ill on the ship (God Forbid) even the charge for a doctor coming to see you can cost over €60 and in some cases people have been charged upwards of €400 just for diarrhoea medication and a couple of doctors visits whilst being confined to their cabin. Imagine if you needed to be airlifted from the ship incase of a serious emergency and what this would cost?

Sometimes it is better to pay the extra £100 or so and have peace of mind rather than trusting to good luck

I do Know that MSC do not say that you have to have Travel Insurance but section 4 of the booking conditions recommend that you have cover.

Archived