What do you do with your luggage pre-cruise?

OK, need some help here. We are flying into Fort Lauderdale for our cruise out of Port Everglades. The flight gets in at 5 A.M. (:eek:) and the cruise leaves that afternoon. We would like to get some breakfast and possibly pick up sodas and water before we go to the port. What should we do with our luggage? And does anyone with experience in this part of the world have suggestions for how to get to breakfast and a store? We will not have a car. All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

You'll have at least 6 hours to kill (earliest I've boarded is 11:30) so if one of your party has a driver's license, I would suggest renting a car. According to Cruise Critic's port info, "While all the major car rental agencies -- Hertz (800-654-3131), Avis (800-831-2847), Budget (800-527-0770) and Thrifty (800-847-4389) -- operate out of Fort Lauderdale's airport, none has an office at the port. Budget is the closest, at the foot of the 17th St. Causeway; free shuttle service is offered from the cruise terminal to the rental agency on days when ships are in port." Budget would be less than $50 (with tax) picking up at airport and returning to 17th St., and, unless they offer a shuttle TO the port, a quick taxi fare to the port.

A rental car will give you a place to stow your luggage and the means to do a little shopping and have a nice breakfast while people watching over at the beach.

Knowing myself the way I do, I would opt for getting a hotel room, reserving it the night before if necessary. But I'm the type who cannot, will not sleep on an airplane...no way, no how.

If we got to the hotel room by 6:30 at the latest, late check out requested, we would sleep until noon. But then again, I'm also not over-anxious to get to the ship first, I'm happy to wait until the crowds die down and board at 2 pm.

Otherwise, I'd rent a car for the day. Six hours is just too long to just hang out, then go hang out some more at a cruise terminal for us.

Last year we used Thrifty they were right outside the gate of Port Everglades, after dropping off the car they had a shuttle service that took us right to the ship..I do know that renting a car at the airport will usually be priced higher than an off site location..Have a Taxi take you to whatever car rental agency you decide to use make sure they will be open that early and that they have a port shuttle..

Archived