I love the web cams!

I still have just over three months until we set sail on the Oasis of the Seas, but until then, I'm loving the web cams that Royal Caribbean has made available.

I've set my desktop background as the Royal Promenade web-cam, so I can always glance over and see what's going on there. Earlier today, the Promenade was deserted as they were in that time between last week's passengers disembarking and the new passengers boarding. Now I see lots of people wandering around, many of whom are carrying small suitcases and carry-on bags with them. How exciting it must be for them to have just boarded such an amazing vessel!

Meanwhile, I'll continue to enjoy the Royal Promenade vicariously until I can be one of those lucky people myself. :)

Pretty cool -- Thanks for sharing those!

We're probably going to be booking a trip on the Allure in the next couple of days (just working out the details now). Those webcams make me even more excited, if that's possible.

What a cool idea! How did you set your background as the webcam image? I wanna do it, too!

I am a teacher and we have interactive whiteboards, so my students occasionally see what I have on my desktop. I wonder what the kiddos will say when they see a webcam of a cruise ship on there. :)

I wish I knew how to do it more easily. I've got a Mac and I used a "crontab" entry to fetch the image every minute (using "curl") and have the desktop background configured in the System Preferences to refresh once a minute.

I must confess I'm a bit addicted to the webcams myself especially as we get closer to my sail date on June 12th. I was browsing for Oasis videos on youtube the other day and found that someone had made time lapse videos using the images from the web cams. Here is the one for central park.

Here is the link to the author's page on youtube where you can see time lapses from the other cams.

http://www.youtube.com/user/stmrocket

Just off the Oasis yesterday.. We tried to have our friend find us on the webcam while standing in the promenade. Seems like there is around a 5 minute delay . He saw us around 5 minutes after we got off the phone with him.

Archived