Xtra day in Machu Picchu or Cusco?

bellagirl

What tour company did you go with? We are booked through OAT .

I'll have to check my paperwork to see if they've included the taxes. We start our trip in Peru but fly back home from Equador.

Did the coca tea bother your stomach? Our friend said the effects of the tea (bad belly :)) were worse than the light-headedness. Maybe it was becasue he drank too much of it?!

I've also heard that you need to take aspirin and pepto bismol about every 4 hrs to prevent the headaches and stomach issues. Did they recommend this to you?

thanks!

Brenda

Hi Brenda,

we did not book through a tour company. We booked everything independently. If you search my posts and greatam's, you'll see how it's done. But basically, decide on your itinerary, book hotels directly (we used Casa Andina hotels and the Sanctuary Lodge), get your flights with the LAN Airpass for all flights within South America. We booked train tickets to MP and Puno on the perurail.com site. We booked guides directly. The total came to $2800 for 12 days (breakfasts included, most other meals were extra). The guides we used are excellent independent contractors for major companies, such as OAT or established local agencies.

We had no side effects from the coca tea. It tastes something like green tea as greatam says. You don't have to drink gallons of it. It is also used to treat upset stomach or bad belly (better than pepto), so it is unlikely that your friend's problems had anything to do with it. And the preventive oxygen worked great. I think all the aspirin and pepto are more apt to give you problems than if you didn't take them. We always drank bottled water and used it for tooth brushing also. Did not have any raw salads at all. We had no stomach problems.

Relax about the AMS. If you take it very easy the first day, drink coca tea and do your 5 minutes of oxygen when you get to the hotel, you'll be fine. One of our friends has mild respiratory problems and she repeated the oxygen before going to bed the first night. She was fine afterwards. In general, don't push yourself while sightseeing, walk a little slower than normal, take frequent breaks to admire the scenery and you'll be fine.

At some point, try the coca sours instead of the plain pisco sours. It is made with coca infused pisco. (And this is not an AMS remedy!) Of course, not on your first day at altitude - no alcohol that day!

M

there have been instances when they have had to drag climbers off Wayna Picchu (about 10,000 feet) suffering cerebral edema. Again, too high, too fast. Fly into Cusco and rush to MP the next day-then climb Wayna Picchu which is definitely a physical exertion best left to the extremely fit 20 somethings.

Hi greatam,

when we were in MP there was a French Alpine rescue team training the local mountain guards on rescue techniques. As our guide told us, "people overdo it."

It was a great trip. Thanks for all the advice,

M

Could I get an opinion of this tour :)

We won't be doing the pre-trip to the Amazon or the post-trip to the volcano

http://www.oattravel.com/Trips/2010/Machu-Picchu-and-the-Galapagos-2010/Itinerary/Lima-to-Quito.aspx

If the price on the first page is correct ($268 per day pp for the cheapest accommodations) and there is no name mentioned for the Galapagos boat and the hotels mentioned are definitely NOT the best in Cusco nor commonly used other than by tour groups, I think it is way overpriced.

Don't know when you plan to take this trip but as I have mentioned previously, a lot of hotels in the Cusco area DO NOT HAVE HEAT. And it gets cool at night and can be really miserable if you have even a touch of AMS. The hotel mentioned in Urubamba has AC-no mention of heat. I am assuming this is the St Augustin Monasterio.

Booking the hotel yourself is $125.00 per night

Same thing is Cusco-no mention of heat in the room, no mention of AC, 7 blocks off the Plaza (which is really almost out of the tourist neighborhood) and bookable yourself for $120 per night.

The hotel in Agua Calientes is almost down to backpacker level. Right by the RR station with a lot of noise and traffic.

Same thing in Lima-a 2.5* tourist class hotel that has generally average reviews and pricey prices.

The Sonesta's and Casa Andina's (VERY nice chain hotels with different pricing levels depending on amenities) are generally in the $125-175 price range and they offer discounts if you book more than one hotel per trip.

Start adding it all up. You are paying about $250-300 per day per couple for food and guide service in Peru. THAT is a lot.

There are so many, many Galapagos trips from Celebrity Expedition to small private vessels to mega yachts to the Dancer line of true dive boats. You sure don't need hand holding for that. The boats take care of everything. Fly into Guayaquil unless you particularly want to see Quito. AVERAGE price for a 4 day Galapagos trip is about $1200pp and there are ALWAYS specials-including free air, free air from the USA, discounts, etc.

So start adding it up-9 days from Lima to Cusco/MP and onto Ecuador-MAYBE $2250 for two with food and day trips. $3000 for the Galapagos trip (deluxe) Airfare to-from the USA/Ecuador/Lima/Cusco and return-$2400.00 (and that is REALLY on the high side). What did I miss-I don't think much. And my price comes in at least $800 cheaper than the BASE price of your tour using deluxe hotels, better boats (it is really weird your tour doesn't mention the name of the boat nor is the name clearly seen in the pictures). And I am positive if you just do some diligent research on your own or have a TA help you or just post here, you can probably save well over $1500-2000. THAT'S a LOT of hand holding/luggage handling.

Look for Marazul's posts. They just did a very long Peru trip and saved a LOT.

Thank you all for such great advise!

We are cruisers at heart but decided it was time to be more adventurous. We have this Bucket List, you see :D

The tour company we booked with caters to "mature" clients so I'm sure they aren't going to have us jogging up the Inca trail.

I just wish we'd been brave enough to make all of our own arrangements. I admire brave people. I want to be a traveler..not just a tourist.

Maybe next time ;)

thanks again!

If the price on the first page is correct ($268 per day pp for the cheapest accommodations) and there is no name mentioned for the Galapagos boat and the hotels mentioned are definitely NOT the best in Cusco nor commonly used other than by tour groups, I think it is way overpriced.

And I am positive if you just do some diligent research on your own or have a TA help you or just post here, you can probably save well over $1500-2000. THAT'S a LOT of hand holding/luggage handling.

Look for Marazul's posts. They just did a very long Peru trip and saved a LOT.

WOW Are you a TA or something? I'm impressed!!!! Actually we caught a "sale" for this tour, it was $1200 off because we booked before May 1st.

I can book a cruise and private excursions with my eyes closed but have never attempted anything of this magnitude...so I took a friends recommendation and went with this company. Its a done deal, final has been paid, we go in 2 months.

You've made me feel extremely disappointed in myself :(. I acted like a nervous old person and put someone else in control of my vacation.

Somebody slap me!

greatam is a very experienced traveler to South america (and elsewhere) and many of us have learned from her recommendations.

I never thought of calculating price per day. Ours came to about $230/pp (not including flight from the US). This includes deluxe hotels and the splurge - the MP Sanctuary Lodge - at $800 per room. If we had booked a first class hotel in Aguas Calientes instead, it would have come closer to $200/day.

I did look at the travelers reviews of your trip in the OAT website and they varied wildly. Hope you are on the "very satisfied" side.

We went to the Galapagos on Celebrity Xpedition and were very satisfied with the trip. You might want to check their board for hints on clothing, excursion experiences, etc.

WOW Are you a TA or something? I'm impressed!!!! Actually we caught a "sale" for this tour, it was $1200 off because we booked before May 1st.

I can book a cruise and private excursions with my eyes closed but have never attempted anything of this magnitude...so I took a friends recommendation and went with this company. Its a done deal, final has been paid, we go in 2 months.

You've made me feel extremely disappointed in myself :(. I acted like a nervous old person and put someone else in control of my vacation.

Somebody slap me!

Sorry, didn't mean to make you feel bad. When you asked about the tour, I thought you were just giving various tours a look see.

Go enjoy the vacation. NEXT time, so you can finish all your bucket list, plan it yourself. There are very few places in this world I would not recommend doing it yourself if you have the time to research and plan. A REALLY good place to get a lot of helpful hints about off the wall places to visit, safety tips and most everything else is Lonely Planet. Yes, it is primarily backpackers who post there. And the accommodations they use are not something over 50's would enjoy. But every time I am in a bind in a foreign country, that is the first place I look for info. Lonely Planet and they kids who post there have bailed me out more than once.

I am an international logistics planner who travels the world in pursuit of my business. I spend quite a bit of time in SA for fruit season and import native crafts and alpaca clothing out of Peru. I am currently in Alaska getting our fish shipping season started and will be leaving for Iraq, Afghanistan and Kuwait a week from Sunday.

Enjoy your trip!!!!

Sorry, didn't mean to make you feel bad. When you asked about the tour, I thought you were just giving various tours a look see.

Go enjoy the vacation. NEXT time, so you can finish all your bucket list, plan it yourself. There are very few places in this world I would not recommend doing it yourself if you have the time to research and plan. A REALLY good place to get a lot of helpful hints about off the wall places to visit, safety tips and most everything else is Lonely Planet. Yes, it is primarily backpackers who post there. And the accommodations they use are not something over 50's would enjoy. But every time I am in a bind in a foreign country, that is the first place I look for info. Lonely Planet and they kids who post there have bailed me out more than once.

I am an international logistics planner who travels the world in pursuit of my business. I spend quite a bit of time in SA for fruit season and import native crafts and alpaca clothing out of Peru. I am currently in Alaska getting our fish shipping season started and will be leaving for Iraq, Afghanistan and Kuwait a week from Sunday.

Enjoy your trip!!!!

Seriously???? Well that makes me feel better!!! :D

I'm just one of those "over 50's" who wants to go play before this ride comes to an end :D

Not to worry...I WILL enjoy my trip! I am so excited to be going that even not staying in 5 star accomodations will still be great...it'll be "part of the experience" :) But next time there will be more research and less complacency.

Stay safe!

I've also heard that you need to take aspirin and pepto bismol about every 4 hrs to prevent the headaches and stomach issues. Did they recommend this to you?

thanks! Brenda

Brenda,

I am a Pepto believer!!

When traveling I take pepto tablets 3-4 times daily. This was recommended to me by a doctor for my first cruise. It coats your stomach so nasty things don't bother you. It has worked for me and after my doubting DH had a case of the noro a few years ago, he is now a believer. Not only does it help with virus things but also when you are eating different types of food than what you are use to.

Is this the thread, Brenda??????

Oh Goody...you found me :)

A couple of questions if you don't mind....I read that some of the Galapogos landings are "wet" landings. Did you take waterproof sandals or just water shoes? Did you need the water shoes for snorkling? Are sneakers OK for the islands or do you need shoes with a hard bottom?

Was there a cash payment departure tax to leave Quito?

Just curious...Which hotel did you use..did you book it through Celebrity or independently? Can you recommend a restrauant?

Ohhh...guess that was more than just a couple questions, huh?;)

I am getting soooo excited! :)

You promised me all the details.... I'm waiting anxiously!

I know there are others on this trhread who are getting ready to go...it would be nice if you posted your awesome video. I bet everyone would love it :D

Brenda,

I am a Pepto believer!!

When traveling I take pepto tablets 3-4 times daily. This was recommended to me by a doctor for my first cruise. It coats your stomach so nasty things don't bother you. It has worked for me and after my doubting DH had a case of the noro a few years ago, he is now a believer. Not only does it help with virus things but also when you are eating different types of food than what you are use to.

Thanks! I think its probably good advise.

After reading some of these threads I am discovering that I am not nearly adventurous as I had thought! I'm brigning a full supply of pepto as well as a backpack full of my own food, mostly cereal bars and pringles! (just between you and me...I don't like to eat in the MDR on the ship because I think the food is too weird!) Even the thought of eatting a guinea pig is beyond my imagination! This might be the first vacation we have ever taken where I will actually LOSE some weight! ;)

Oh Goody...you found me :)

A couple of questions if you don't mind....I read that some of the Galapagos landings are "wet" landings. Did you take waterproof sandals or just water shoes? Did you need the water shoes for snorkeling? Are sneakers OK for the islands or do you need shoes with a hard bottom?

Was there a cash payment departure tax to leave Quito?

Just curious...Which hotel did you use..did you book it through Celebrity or independently? Can you recommend a restaurant?

Ohhh...guess that was more than just a couple questions, huh?;)

I am getting soooo excited! :)

You promised me all the details.... I'm waiting anxiously!

I know there are others on this tread who are getting ready to go...it would be nice if you posted your awesome video. I bet everyone would love it :D

Wet landing? I had keens, but still took them off sometimes and did the landings barefoot..

I liked a lite hiker for all dry landings but kids wore keens or sneakers and flip flops(mistake) Just wear something you are comfortable walking in, but you do want it to have a good grip, as some people so slip and fall

Snorkeling used flippers.

40.80 pp exit tax out of Quito airport...hold on to your boarding pass payment sticker is on the back they won't let you on the plane without it.

Marriott...in our tour package.

Go to this thread , you'll get more info than you want.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24182935&postcount=1

Wet landing? I had keens, but still took them off sometimes and did the landings barefoot..

I liked a lite hiker for all dry landings but kids wore keens or sneakers and flip flops(mistake) Just wear something you are comfortable walking in, but you do want it to have a good grip, as some people so slip and fall

Snorkeling used flippers.

40.80 pp exit tax out of Quito airport...hold on to your boarding pass payment sticker is on the back they won't let you on the plane without it.

Marriott...in our tour package.

Go to this thread , you'll get more info than you want.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24182935&postcount=1

Well...I won't have to download anymore eBooks for a while...it may take me a month to read through all those posts!!!

THANKS for the link! :D I've read only about the last 10 pages and I am about to bust with anticipation! I still have 7 wks to wait :(

Read the most recent pages.... you can see I contribute regularly;)

It has become pretty redundant.....I am waiting for one more Gal to return and then will sign off.....

But if you have any general question about the Galapagos ask 'em.

3 men will answer anything.....

Keens worked extremely well not only for wet landings but also when the closed toe bumped against the rocks!

Keens are great for all those reasons, but you can get sand stuck in them during the wet landing. Just put a wash cloth in your pocket or backpack to wipe the sand off after you land.

yes indeed. The sand can be very irritating!

Keens are great for all those reasons, but you can get sand stuck in them during the wet landing. Just put a wash cloth in your pocket or backpack to wipe the sand off after you land.

Just curious..."Keens" thats just the brand name, right? Or are they something special/different than other water shoes?

We have water shoes that we used to walk Dunn River Falls...do I need something different?

thanks!

Brenda

A brand name for water/hiking sandals. The most popular models have toe protection, which is very useful, but it traps a little sand behind the toe area in water landings. The models without toe protection do not seem to have that problem and neither do open toe Tevas. They were really great for hiking the lava rocks and boulders in the Galapagos and, because they are sandals, they are cool. But, I'm sure other brands can be just as good. Whichever shoe fits . . .

Archived